Transport Minister wants to raise the speed limit to 120 kmph on all large roads

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

New transport minister Saksayam Chidchob - whose family are famous for having a racetrack in Isaan

He or his family also own a football team does that mean they should be disqualified from being Minister of Sport

Nah, only in this particular case, owning a racetrack or football team will be defined as being involved in 'a game of chance', and nothing to do with sport.

After all, that's how the government define their lottery when challenged - it's not gambling, but 'a game of chance'.

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Very true. with that in mind I translated the UK highway code stopping distances into Thai for my son last year.

Also one about visibility at night for different types of clothes.

They're both pdf files, hope they ul OK and may be of use. I've also attached an image the UK page in English.

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.png

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.pdf 22.53 kB · 3 downloads VisibilityDistancesClothes.pdf 31.21 kB · 1 download

multiply stopping distances by two on wet roads.

39 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Its the idiots doing 70 kph on a highway with a speed of 90 or 120 that cause the accidents.

Not that I'd agree with it, but if you're claiming that, then you'd surely be supporting a minimum speed limit instead?

33 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes this is common all over Asia. It is the differing speeds of road users that causes a lot of problems. 

In the code of the French road and I suppose in that of all the western countries, it is written a lot of elementary things:

always keep both hands on the steering wheel
always drive according to the state of the road, traffic, weather ..etc ..
The road has never killed anyone, but drivers kill themselves through the vehicle they drive.

It is time for Telma to come to Asia;
Telma manufactures electro-magnetic retarders and these retarders are factory-fitted to almost all trucks and coaches in Europe.

14 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:
21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Very true. with that in mind I translated the UK highway code stopping distances into Thai for my son last year.

They're both pdf files, hope they ul OK and may be of use. I've also attached an image the UK page in English.

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.pdf 22.53 kB · 3 downloads VisibilityDistancesClothes.pdf 31.21 kB · 1 download

multiply stopping distances by two on wet roads.

Agree entirely about about stopping distances on wet roads.

I know it mentions weather conditions in the text in the top right-hand corner, but I translated it as per the English version, without wanting to detract from it.

I just hoped the concept of it might  get through.

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.pdf 22.53 kB · 4 downloads VisibilityDistancesClothes.pdf 31.21 kB · 1 download

The problem here is that Blue section "Thinking Distance " You tink too mut. :cheesy:

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

In the code of the French road and I suppose in that of all the western countries, it is written a lot of elementary things:

always keep both hands on the steering wheel
always drive according to the state of the road, traffic, weather ..etc ..
The road has never killed anyone, but drivers kill themselves through the vehicle they drive.

It is time for Telma to come to Asia;
Telma manufactures electro-magnetic retarders and these retarders are factory-fitted to almost all trucks and coaches in Europe.

There are also hydrodynamic retarders. The key is having something automatic. We had some coaches with electric retarders back in the 70's but they had to be activated/switched on by the driver.

But you are right. Even what our transatlantic cousins would call a Jake Brake on trucks would be an improvement. Noisy for buses/coaches though.

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The problem here is that Blue section "Thinking Distance " You tink too mut. :cheesy:

Not met a Thai driver yet who looks, and plans,  more that 20 feet in front of her/his vehicle. 

On 7/31/2019 at 9:05 AM, darksidedog said:

Well he is correct about the bad driving, but I think he is forgetting that excessive speed also plays a vital role, so suggesting that bad drivers be allowed to go even faster, is hardly the best way to bring the unbelievable carnage down.

Keeping in mind that around 78% of the victims of this 'unbelievable carnage' are on 2-wheels and not on 4-lane highways, beyond the not infrequent minivan versus loaded pickup and ensuing gas tank inferno, then I can't see how an across the board 120 kph speed limit on 4-lane highways is going to lead to any marked increase in the numbers. Like most other countries, there's advisory 90 kph speed warning signs on the otherwise 120 kph Highway 7 that get turned on when bottlenecks are spotted.

Archived