"A temple is not a catwalk!" - Thais slam British tourist for temple pictures

webfact

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

Then some pompous Thai would have taken a photo, posted it  on their Facebook page complaining about you, just to see how many "likes" they could get to boost their own self-important egos, perhaps.

that did cross my mind as it happen in the past and I got the bad end of it

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Matzzon said:

I react just because you position is not reasonable.

That can clearly be seen on your firt sentence. It´s exactly like I say. You are coming here, stating what is disrespectful and what is not. Who gave you that right? They disrespect thai culture and thai traditions as well as budhist customs and behaviour. It´s a disrespectful thing in the eyes of Thai people. What you deem disrespectful has no bearing in the eyes of Thai people. People that comes here should respect the ways och cunstoms set by the people of the country. End of that. If you can´t grasp that, I can only fell sorry for you. The rest of the pure garbage you spoutes out, I am not even going to pretend that I´ve been reading.

If think they can live with the knowledge of getting rid of both the people and the money, regarding people that can´t respect their way and culture. Cheers!

Obviously English is not your first language. If you think that the woman's wall walk is disrespectful to Thai custom and should be sanctioned and chastised, then you are indeed a frontline fighter for a very narrow minded defence of Buddhist culture and Thai tradition. Tourists come here to enjoy themselves, and though a working knowledge of dos and don'ts around Thai people and their temples and palaces is desirable, there are actions which should do no great harm to Thai sensibilities. If Thai people are so sensitive as to get upset about temple wall walking, then perhaps it's better for tourist numbers to further decline and leave a larger financial hole in the economy of this country. 

9 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Another idiot foreigner comes to Thailand. One reason i avoid the tourist slums. I just cringe every time i see a foreigner wondering what stupid stunt are they going to pull next. remember these two?

23915504_10155943907953809_1709921732515505231_n.jpg

What's the problem with this photo?

14 minutes ago, Spock said:

Obviously English is not your first language. If you think that the woman's wall walk is disrespectful to Thai custom and should be sanctioned and chastised, then you are indeed a frontline fighter for a very narrow minded defence of Buddhist culture and Thai tradition. Tourists come here to enjoy themselves, and though a working knowledge of dos and don'ts around Thai people and their temples and palaces is desirable, there are actions which should do no great harm to Thai sensibilities. If Thai people are so sensitive as to get upset about temple wall walking, then perhaps it's better for tourist numbers to further decline and leave a larger financial hole in the economy of this country. 

Response: Choose another country then, that lets you do what you want without taking notice of your bed behaviour. 

If english is my first, second or third language must be quite unimportant and irrelevant, right. Maybe I am dyslectic or have any other barriers that you see like a difference and a thing to talk about. Or just maybe english isn´t my first language. You have a problem with that? My guess will be thta you are from UK, because that would be the only kind that makes a first or second language relevant when it´s irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

that's a non sense, last week went on trip and visited a temple in Nakon Si Tamarat, I was the only foreigner at that time & day, all Thais and many of the girls were doing exactly the same, eating, drinking and taking selfies, not much different from what the foreigners do, now I regret I didn't take photos

Thai Wats perform many functions, at different times of the year and have different areas with different degrees of sanctity.  The grounds are often used for fairgrounds, with music movies and market stalls at certain times.  In this reported story she is the only one walking on the wall which is clearly not a walkway. Rather than the usual TV Thai bashers getting on their high horse they should consider learning something about Thai cultural sensitivities.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Been out heaps but still not seen skimpily dressed dancers at any of the temples , must  go at wrong times thankfully 

The first time I ever visited one was at my wife's village. At the time they were also having a morlam concert on the temple grounds, complete with the scantily clad ladies. I thought 'buddhism is pretty cool', while sitting with a cold beer in hand looking at them gyrate. Alas, I later learned it was just a fluke.

16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

the one I visited had food/drink stalls next to the begging safes

All perfectly normal in many Thai temples. The safes house donations...I doubt you have been to many temples to understand what is the cultural norm. Thai bashing for the sake of it.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Well do you think she would ?

Back home in Britain? Damn straight! This one’s titled “St Paul’s at sunset”.... all’s good, eh what?... what a wonderful topic to go blind from researching. ????

B7B1FC4B-3CA5-4629-A364-6E96779427B1.png

1 minute ago, jany123 said:

Back home in Britain? Damn straight! This one’s titled “St Paul’s at sunset”.... all’s good, eh what?... what a wonderful topic to go blind from researching. ????

That is shot from a near by office block. 

1 minute ago, jany123 said:

Ok, Get your stance. If it´s ok in Britain, then it must be ok everywhere. Just realize it! You are not the leaders of the workd, just look at the sinking pound.

9 hours ago, Genmai said:

I wonder what Buddha would have said about the people with their panties in a twist over a beautiful photo?

Oh, I forgot - the prevalent religion here is a total perversion of the principal teachings of Buddha and is such a far cry from the original guidance that it shouldn't even bear his name. He even specifically told people not to build temples and to just walk the path instead. Now """monks""" deal dope, rape kids, get in fights on public transport, get drunk at parties and storm schools to molest underage students and punch teachers during exams, and basically sit around getting fat all day playing on their phone. Every time I go to Central I can spot at least one waddling about looking for a new phone. Meanwhile they get subsidized by overcharged dopey farangs on some enlightenment trip and Thais who think throwing a bit of money about will absolve them of any repercussions from stupid behavior. How is anyone with a brain supposed to respect any of this?

Ask any Thai what their "training" consists of and you realize there is 0 incentive or enforcement in their "practice". If you want to see real Buddhism in this supposedly Buddhist country you have to go to a Vipassana meditation center.

One of the few good things about the wats is free parking. I pay my taxes so feel freely entitled to use their parking and toilets. The other good thing is photoshoot locations. I sincerely hope the Brit doesn't cave in to this hypocritical hoity toity holier-than-thou BS we see so much from Thai people. 

Best view is a monk in a bank doing his thing.

Here temples are the tool 

10 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I agree now stop the Thais talking on their mobiles inside, chatting loudly, taking selfies with Buddha images and we are all square!

If Thais are doing the above it indicates it is acceptable.  Who are you to impose your cultural values and prejudices? Try and learn. You have zero right to criticize that about which you seem to know nothing. Thai bashing for the sake of it.

9 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

She's on the outer wall and appropriately dressed. 

No big deal.

She certainly beats all the stray dogs and cats that are dumped at temples.

Rather look at her than piles of urine and poo.

Not a big deal to you but its not your call, your country, your culture or your religious monuments. You only input is transposing your cultural values onto another people. The arrogance is staggering. Try and learn from the Thai reactions not steam roller over them.

9 hours ago, Genmai said:

I wonder what Buddha would have said about the people with their panties in a twist over a beautiful photo?

Oh, I forgot - the prevalent religion here is a total perversion of the principal teachings of Buddha and is such a far cry from the original guidance that it shouldn't even bear his name. He even specifically told people not to build temples and to just walk the path instead. Now """monks""" deal dope, rape kids, get in fights on public transport, get drunk at parties and storm schools to molest underage students and punch teachers during exams, and basically sit around getting fat all day playing on their phone. Every time I go to Central I can spot at least one waddling about looking for a new phone. Meanwhile they get subsidized by overcharged dopey farangs on some enlightenment trip and Thais who think throwing a bit of money about will absolve them of any repercussions from stupid behavior. How is anyone with a brain supposed to respect any of this?

Ask any Thai what their "training" consists of and you realize there is 0 incentive or enforcement in their "practice". If you want to see real Buddhism in this supposedly Buddhist country you have to go to a Vipassana meditation center.

One of the few good things about the wats is free parking. I pay my taxes so feel freely entitled to use their parking and toilets. The other good thing is photoshoot locations. I sincerely hope the Brit doesn't cave in to this hypocritical hoity toity holier-than-thou BS we see so much from Thai people. 

Are you a Buddhist?  If you live in Thailand you dont seem to have learned much about the complex spiritual beliefs in Thailand and the way they influence daily life. Regarding your comment about vipassana meditation centres. Its as silly as saying you learn about Christianity in a monastery.  The tone of your message is that as an entitled and superior person you dont like Thais or Thailand.

22 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, Get your stance. If it´s ok in Britain, then it must be ok everywhere. Just realize it! You are not the leaders of the workd, just look at the sinking pound.

Obviously you don’t get my stance, but instead presume. I posted a pic of a model in front of a holy place in Britain, in response to a post suggesting that models should do it at home... Britain was the models home.

so your rant is about something else... xenophobia springs to mind

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just senseless stupid tourists again. They probably know and see everybody take off their shoes when entering a temple, and then can´t see the connection to that it´s not ok to put your feet on other things than the ground or floor in a temple area. Just get rid of them. Fine them and deport them. They are a disgrace to human intelligence.

Thanks. My thoughts entirely.

4 hours ago, Catoni said:

He (Lord Buddha) even specifically told people not to build temples and to just walk the path instead.”

Cite ? 

It's what is routinely taught in Vipassana centers which transmit the pure teachings of the way of Dhamma as passed down from the Buddha himself. His message regarding the shunning of temple/shrine building and idol worship can be easily inferred from numerous instances of his teachings, in particular those addressing the folly of attachment to physical objects and the following of the path of Dhamma being the only true way of paying homage to him. Here is one such example from the Dhammapada:

• Vakkali, it will be of no use to you by always keeping close to me, looking at my face. You should practice concentration meditation. For indeed, only the one who sees the Dhamma sees me. One who does not see the Dhamma does not see me.

-

• When it was made to know the disciples that Buddha would realized in four months time, most of the puthujjana bhikkhus (i.e who had not attained any of megga) felt extremely depressed and didn't know what to do. They just stayed close to the Buddha, hardly even leaving his presence. But there was a bhikkhu named Dhammarama who kept to himself and didn't go near the Buddha. His intention was to strive most ardently to attain arahatship before the passing away of Buddha. Other bhikkhus misunderstood his behavior and said to Buddha, 'This bhikkhu does not seem to have affection or regard or reverence for you. He has been staying by himself while all the other bhikkhus are staying close to Buddha.' Dhammarama then respectfully explained to Buddha why he had not come to see the Buddha and also reported that he had been striving utmost in insight meditation practice.
  • The Buddha was very pleased and said, 'My son Dhammarama, you have done very well. A bhikkhu who loves and respects me should act like you. Those who made offering of flowers, scents and incense to me are not really paying homage. Only those who practice the Dhamma are the ones who truly pay homage to me.'

-

• Driven only by fear, do men go for refuge to many places -- to hills, woods, groves, trees and shrines. Such, indeed, is no safe refuge; such is not the refuge supreme. Not by resorting to such a refuge is one released from all suffering.

-

• Be a lamp onto yourself. Be a refuge to yourself. Don’t take yourself to external refuge. Hold fast to the truth as a lamp. Hold fast as a refuge to the truth. Work at your own salvation with diligence.

-

• Ananda, why does the order of Sangha expect this of me? I have taught the Dhamma completely. I have 'no teacher's fist' (in which certain truths are held back). You should live as islands unto yourselves, being your own refuge, seeking no other refuge. Those monks who in my time and afterwards, live thus, seeking an island and refuge in themselves and in the Dhamma and nowhere else, Those zealous ones are truly my monks and will overcome the darkness (of rebirth).
  • Ananda, it might be that some of you think 'The master in instruction has vanished, now we have no master.' It should not be seen like this. What I have taught and explained to you as Dhamma and disciplines (Vinaya) will, after I pass away, be your master.

-

• "There are these two kinds of gifts: a gift of material things & a gift of the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: a gift of the Dharma.
  • "There are these two kinds of sharing: sharing of material things & sharing of the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: sharing of the Dharma.
  • "There are these two kinds of assistance: assistance with material things & assistance with the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: help with the Dharma.
  • "There are these two kinds of mass-donations: a mass-donation of material things & a mass-donation of the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: a mass-donation of the Dharma."

5 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I never said that visitors or ex-pats in Thailand should be able to 'do what they want' or disrespect the culture or laws of the land, you're over-reacting to my reasonable position.

If the person in question was doing anything inflammatory or disrespectful I would feel differently and probably agree with you. Outrage is taken too far here (all over these days) and all too readily - and hypocritically, that's my point and it's a well known one here. Exactly what part of Thai culture was being defamed or disrespected by a woman striking an elegant pose for a very innocuous photo within the temple grounds? She wasn't doing anything rude or OTT! The Thai's reactionary response to anyone who is other than prostrate with piety within temple grounds is just childish and backward. It is their country? Sure. Do we have a right to do whatever we want here? No, certainly not. Do we as visitors and significant contributors to their economy (largely based on tourism) have a right to offer our opinion on their very arcane and ultra-conservative views? Yes of course we do.  Xenophobia is a big issue here too, the fact that they charge non-nationals double or triple for these 'attractions' says it all really. This is their view - it's backward, we must accept it for the time being, but the reduction in tourism (especially from the West and now China) is due in no small part to these hypocrisies, prejudices and absurdities - hence the 'grow up and get over yourselves' comment. I hope in time their views will shift and become less precious and their ability to reason become more enhanced.  As another poster pointed out, you nearly always see cats, dogs and birds shitting and pissing all over the place in these temples, without mentioning the tiger temples (organ harvesting) and multiple scandals involving numerous monks over the years - so again the hypocrisy is writ large. Moreover, I have seen many Thais and other Asian tourists striking similar poses in and around temples here in Thailand. So I ask - why is this any different or being treated as something more serious / taboo!?

Just saying 'that's their way if you don't like it leave' is a fair comment in one respect, but it doesn't address any of the points I made whatsoever so is basically a cop-out, and, ultimately, it is to the detriment of Thai society, economy and tourist industry. 

It is likely her her feet were above head level of Buddhist artefacts but that is not really the point. Thai people have clearly indicated this action in this particular place is unacceptable Please take heed and bluster less. I saw  dreadful behaviour in Loei last year by scantily clad backpackers and their moronic boyfriend at temples and holy places. The post and complaint about 'catwalk girl' should be taken as advice on a broad front regarding behaviour in Temples and other holy places. She got criticized not stoned to death. People took the time to explain it was not acceptable behaviour just as spraying the walls with graffiti is not acceptable.  Too many dumb tourists abusing Thai values and too many Thai haters and cultural imperialists using such stories to tell the Thais what to do and how to feel. If you get upset by such things perhaps Thailand is not for you.

All this is starting to be a very stupid thread. We seem to have a big brigade of foreigner in this forum that believe they can come to Thailand and disregard the culture, it´s meaning and the way of doing things in Thailand according to the Thai people. 

Maybe it´s timne for all of you to sit down and realize that you are the ones in a foreign country. It´s not your conutry. You do not decide what is bad or good. You do not set the rules for what is acceptable or not. Actually, You have noting at all to say or do that can change the way of tradition, beliefs and culture.

What you are is guests in this country, that should have the common sense to accept the peoples wishes and ways. You are obligated to show respect to the country, the people and their rules and ways of living in their society. If you continute post your pure garbage regarding this and other stuff in this forum, that once was a good and respectful place to read on, maybe it´s time to think about moving away from here.

Just realize that your ways, your way of thinking and what you want is not relevant to the Thai population. You are a guest and should treat the country with a respectful attitude, and not like overgrown children that want to have it your way.

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

It is against Forum rules to misquote other posters. I did not post this.

Sometimes mistakes happen or theres a glitch or something .

Shouldnt worry about it , as long as it wasnt done deliberately or maliciously 

Archived