"A temple is not a catwalk!" - Thais slam British tourist for temple pictures

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/31/2019 at 6:48 PM, geoffbezoz said:

I think the point was being made to illustrate the hypocritical and double standards by Thais with respect to Buddhist temples in Thailand, something your own comment appears to reinforce together with your post 84.

I don't think there are double standards. There's nothing wrong with eating in a "temple" (it's actually a meeting hall). It's considered disrespectful to walk on the top of a wall or barrier. Did you see Thais doing that? There's nothing improper about taking a selfie in front of a Buddha image. It would be improper to take a selfie seated in the lap of the image, or with an arm around the image's shoulders. Perhaps you think "temples" have the same rules of decorum as Christian churches do. It used to be that on Buddha Days families would take enough food with them that after they had donated some to the "monks," they would stay and eat a meal while the monks were eating their meal (before noon, they aren't supposed to eat anything after noon), and then stay to listen to the monks chanting after eating. Sadly, that custom has given way to speeding things up so people can attend the sermon and a chant and go back to work. I think some of the temples out in the country still follow the old customs. I haven't been to the one in Ban Phot Phisai for three or four years.

2 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I don't think there are double standards. There's nothing wrong with eating in a "temple" (it's actually a meeting hall). It's considered disrespectful to walk on the top of a wall or barrier. Did you see Thais doing that? Perhaps you think "temples" have the same rules of decorum as Christian churches do. It used to be that on Buddha Days families would take enough food with them that after they had donated some to the "monks," they would stay and eat a meal while the monks were eating their meal (before noon, they aren't supposed to eat anything after noon), and then stay to listen to the monks chanting after eating. Sadly, that custom has given way to speeding things up so people can attend the sermon and a chant and go back to work.

Something is wrong with your statement. You do know that it is not considered etiquette to consume food until after the Buddhist Monks have eaten do you ? not at the same time as you state, which appears to shoot holes in the veracity of your post.

20 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Something is wrong with your statement. You do know that it is not considered etiquette to consume food until after the Buddhist Monks have eaten do you ? not at the same time as you state, which appears to shoot holes in the veracity of your post.

Well, my memory could easily be inaccurate. I'm thinking of temples I've attended in Phanat Nikhom, Ban Phot Phisai, Wang Nam Khiaw. It's been a long time, so maybe the monks had finished eating and were chanting while the people were eating. I thought they were eating at the same time so that people could listen while they chanted, but I could be wrong. I remember that the people finished their meal before the monks left the "temple," and that the monks chanted and there was something about pouring water after people had eaten. I've been trying to remember how it worked at the temple by the river at the foot of Sathu Bradit Road, where it meets Rama III Road. That's the only temple in Bangkok I can remember attending except for funerals, and it's just too long ago and the details are fuzzy. They don't eat together and the services are short at the two temples in Nakhon Sawan I've been to recently (i.e., last month). Sorry if I don't know about the etiquette, nobody ever explained to me what was going on, and many things seemed contradictory to what I have read about Buddhism.

What a load of tosh. Whilst I've seen some bad behaviour from tourists on occasion, this is hardly disrespectful.  Surely the Thai's have more important things to worry about?

I guess its just the hardline buddhists that are offended, I had a word with a Thai friend and he sees nothing wrong with the photos.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 5:53 AM, Enoon said:

Although I cannot give a link or reference I distinctly remember reading an interview with a Thai abbot, who said that his best students/novices/trainees were foreigners.

He said that they were, generally, more knowledgeable, more enthusiastic and more committed to the essence of "real" Buddhism than were the Thais who came to stay at his temple.

He said they had carefully studied and thought about Buddhism and, most importantly, had made it a choice and not just something to be done because it was the "custom", "expected" or because they thought it would give them good fortune and bring "luck" to their families.

He said that, compared to the foreigners, most of the Thais were just "going through the motions".

I've always been interested in an English copy of the local Buddhist religion. After some years, I've never found one. But, then, again, I havent tried very hard.

If anyone knows of an English version of Thailand's main religion, please provide a bit of info.

On 8/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, Redline said:

I don’t understand because they trash their own country, are rude yelling on their their phones everywhere...are hardly a Buddhist country because every aspect of life revolves around money, especially the temples.  How is taking nice pics of yourself at a temple damaging?  Thais break and trash the ancient temples, parks...

Bye bye tourists ????

Because they are foreigners. Here, spotlight and shame along with glory and welcoming easily come and go for foreigners I feel. Bittersweet I say and more sweet than bitter IMO.

Archived