Immigration fine house owner in Chiang Mai for not reporting visiting Canadian

webfact

Immigration fine house owner in Chiang Mai for not reporting visiting Canadian

5pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that Thai immigration were continuing their nationwide crackdown on people failing to report foreigners staying at private addresses with 24 hours. 

This is Article 38 legislation from 1979. 

They said that a house owner in Ton Pao sub-district of San Kamphaeng was fined after a Canadian came to stay at their property.  

No further details were given.

Fines for such breaches of immigration rules are normally around 1,200 baht to 1,600 baht, notes Thaivisa.

A petition started in Thailand this week by a group of foreigners and Thais in Isaan has called for an end to such time consuming bureaucracy. 

Source: Naew Na

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, while I agree it's idiotic, it's not like that Thai Immigration haven't widely publicised this (stupid) rule is going to be enforced. Landlords who are renting to farang should know these rules. I've had no issues with my landlords doing it to-date. It sounds like it's the ones who don't want to pay tax who don't do it. 

Also, the 24 hour thing seems very subjective and dependant on which officer you get. Recently came back into the country but didn't get in to immigration for a few days and there was no issue at all. In and out in five minutes. 

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Its amusing when Thais fine themselves with their own stupid laws????

Except when it's your disabled 75 year old father in law because you refuse to drag him halfway across town to an IO. You realize this has severe implications for how we as foreigners are treated, right? They keep this up and nobody will want to have us stay for a night anywhere. Not worth the risk and hassle!

In Chiang Mai,it would have been at least a 1600 THB fine,

nice little earner,they seem more strict than other Immigration

offices,where fines are 800 THB, or they say they don't need 

to do at all,according to some posters,

regards worgeordie

7 minutes ago, keith101 said:

So how does this 24hr work if you go stay somewhere late Friday with imm closed over the weekend and you leave early Monday morning does that mean no report needs to be done ? 

Chiang Mai immigration is open over the weekend to do these sorts of things now. However, I've done it a week or so late without any hassles. 

Sounds like a rental property. How did the immigration know? Did they follow the person back to where he/she lived? Or was it when the person had to go do something at the immigration office and got caught up in this crap. As for registering the foreigner, this is just how it is as even all Thai are placed in a bluebook. Not meaning they stay there, but can be traced. All other attachments for having to check back in every time for even being out of country etc. are nonsense.

17 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Sounds like a rental property. How did the immigration know? Did they follow the person back to where he/she lived?

TM30s are tied to your TM6 and 90 day reporting, both of which necessitate providing an address. There is not enough info in the OP for this case, but if either the TM6 given on entry or the 90 reporting (if done) had no associated TM30 entry in the DB then Immigration already have the address from TM6/TM47 to start looking.

3 minutes ago, lupin said:

TM30s are tied to your TM6 and 90 day reporting, both of which necessitate providing an address. There is not enough info in the OP for this case, but if either the TM6 given on entry or the 90 reporting (if done) had no associated TM30 entry in the DB then Immigration already the address from TM6/TM47 to start looking.

Assuming this person did a 90 day report and not 90 day border run.

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Assuming this person did a 90 day report and not 90 day border run.

Which is why i said (if done) and that there was not enough info in the OP

36 minutes ago, keith101 said:

So how does this 24hr work if you go stay somewhere late Friday with imm closed over the weekend and you leave early Monday morning does that mean no report needs to be done ? 

If you don't leave the country, no report needed (CM)

If a friend visit me as a tourist for 2 days , do I have to report my friend who is only here for 2 days before heading to the next Asian country . I own my own condo and I usually report myself but I am not sure of my tourist friend , thanks for your replies 

1 minute ago, Alotoftravel said:

If a friend visit me as a tourist for 2 days , do I have to report my friend who is only here for 2 days before heading to the next Asian country . I own my own condo and I usually report myself but I am not sure of my tourist friend , thanks for your replies 

In theory, yes.

My niece came to visit for 3 days from her home overseas.  While waiting in the line for Immigration at CNX, she sent me a text asking my address for her TM6.  With due diligence and rushing to comply with Immigration, I found I accidentally transposed some numbers in my address.  My bad.  So sorry.

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

To be fair, while I agree it's idiotic, it's not like that Thai Immigration haven't widely publicised this (stupid) rule is going to be enforced. Landlords who are renting to farang should know these rules. I've had no issues with my landlords doing it to-date. It sounds like it's the ones who don't want to pay tax who don't do it. 

Also, the 24 hour thing seems very subjective and dependant on which officer you get. Recently came back into the country but didn't get in to immigration for a few days and there was no issue at all. In and out in five minutes. 

It's been over 4 weeks now since submitting all required documents online to register the house so TM-30 can start to be submitted, and still no response from Immigration other than the immediate email verification. How can we obey the "Law" when Immigration fails to do their part? I'll give them a couple more weeks to not respond and then I'll make the dreaded in person trip to the office with paperwork in hand....

3 hours ago, Genmai said:

Except when it's your disabled 75 year old father in law because you refuse to drag him halfway across town to an IO. You realize this has severe implications for how we as foreigners are treated, right? They keep this up and nobody will want to have us stay for a night anywhere. Not worth the risk and hassle!

1. It is not necessary to make the TM.30 notification in person. It can also be done by mail or online.

2. If you choose to make the TM.30 notification in person, it is not necessary that the foreigner whose arrival at your residence you are notifying accompany you to the immigration office.

You pass out on a park bench, what do you do?  You are on a long bicycle ride and you camp along the way, what do you do?  Some friends offered me a couch at their house for a few nights.  Chose a hotel because of such silliness.   It is an harassment to the country.  

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

In Chiang Mai,it would have been at least a 1600 THB fine,

nice little earner,they seem more strict than other Immigration

offices,where fines are 800 THB, or they say they don't need 

to do at all,according to some posters,

regards worgeordie

I have not yet seen a receipt for a fine for the late submission of the TM.30 in Chiang Mai and would be grateful if you kindly posted a copy of your receipt for THB 1600.

I shall also appreciate getting this type of receipt, ie for the late submission of the TM.30 , from any other member for any amount from any immigration office so that I may add it to my reference album.

So many conflicting answers.

While renewing my retirement visa at CM immigration,my Thai wife asked the question regarding reporting my whereabouts.

We own our home in CM,and this is the address I permanently reside at. If we decide to go on a road trip and will be away for 6 weeks does she Being the house owner need to report to CM immigration that I am back at my permanent place of residence when the trip is finished. The answer she got was no,only if I leave the country. Upon my return she must report me as being back at our home with24 hrs.

She also asked the question regarding my son coming to visit us for a 2 week holiday,she was told that she had to report him within 24 hrs of arriving at our home.

Maybe others have been informed otherwise.

1 hour ago, paulbrow said:

It's been over 4 weeks now since submitting all required documents online to register the house so TM-30 can start to be submitted, and still no response from Immigration other than the immediate email verification. How can we obey the "Law" when Immigration fails to do their part? I'll give them a couple more weeks to not respond and then I'll make the dreaded in person trip to the office with paperwork in hand....

You may do it by mail until your online notification becomes operational.

51 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No you don't.

This is exactly the problem. In my province there are 2 offices. One says report every time you stay overnight outside your home province, the other says only if you leave the country. On the posters I’ve seen it says you must report if you overnight outside your home province. 

1 minute ago, TEFLKrabi said:

In my province there are 2 offices. One says report every time you stay overnight outside your home province, the other says only if you leave the country.

Well, you're lucky to have an option.

Archived