Immigration fine house owner in Chiang Mai for not reporting visiting Canadian

webfact

5 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

That's my understanding too, but different immigration offices may have a different interpretation of this. I was once told, adamantly, that only the owner would be acceptable for doing the reporting.

In any case, without some form of cooperation from the owner (i.e., copies of house registration and ID card), it may be difficult for the tenant to file the report. That's why I always am up front with the requirements when talking to a potential landlord.

May be its due to a missuse of the terms owner and posessor. The owner is the person with the right to sell it and use it in any kind he wish to use it. The possessor is only the person holds it for eg. living in it due to the rights granted by a contract with the owner. The possessor in this case could not sell it but from the point of view of art.38 is the person in duty to report as he is the posessor. Here the rental contract would be sufficient to keep the owner of the house out of duty.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May be its due to a missuse of the terms owner and posessor. The owner is the person with the right to sell it and use it in any kind he wish to use it. The possessor is only the person holds it for eg. living in it due to the rights granted by a contract with the owner. The possessor in this case could not sell it but from the point of view of art.38 is the person in duty to report as he is the posessor. Here the rental contract would be sufficient to keep the owner of the house out of duty.
I agree, but I'm not going to lecture immigration about how to interpret their regulations.

Anyway, my experience with this was a few years ago, so with the recent tightening of the enforcement, maybe things have changed to make it easier. At least I have managed to register for online reporting, so from now on it is easy to report myself.

Even on the risk that i bother the members
with the origial content of the actual Thai law i will start another attempt to clarify it by separating the original of text of art.38
in small functional pices and translate them with my bad english as good as possible.

At first the original text in its complete
appearance:

มาตรา ๓๘  เจ้าบ้าน  เจ้าของหรือผู้ครอบครองเคหสถาน  หรือผู้จัดการโรงแรมซึ่งรับ
คนต่างด้าววึ่งได้รับอนุญาตให้อยู่ใน้ราชอาณาจักรเป็นการชั่วคราวเข้าพักอาศัย  จะต้องแจ้งต่อ
พนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ ณ ที่ทำการตรวจคนเข้าเมืองซึ่งตั้งอยู่ในท้องที่ที่บ้าน  เคหสถาน  หรือโรงแรมนัน
ตั้งอยู่ภายในยี่สิบสี่ชั่วโมงนับแต่เวลาที่คนต่างด้าวเข้าพักอาศัย  ถ้าท้องที่ใดไม่มีที่ทำการตรวจคนเข้า
เมืองตั้งอยู่ให้แจ้งต่อเจ้าพนักงานตำรวจ ณ สถานีตำรวจท้องที่นั้น
           ในกรณีที่บ้าน  เคหสถาน  หรือโรงแรมที่คนต่างด้าวพักอาศัยตามวรรคหนึ่งตั้งอยู่
ในเขตท้องที่กรุงเทพมหานคร  ให้แจ้งต่อพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ ณ กองตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
      การแจ้งตามวรรคหนึ่งและวรรคสองให้เป็นไปตามระเบียบที่อธิบดีกำหนด

Separated into functional textnodes trans-scriptet
in english (but based on my german language background)
and translated to english. The words in () are not literally
in the thai text. I added them to build an as good as possible
englishsentence:

มาตรา ๓๘
Matra saamsippaed
Articlee 38

เจ้าบ้าน  เจ้าของ หรือ ผู้ครอบครอง เคหสถาน  หรือ ผู้จัดการ โรงแรม ซึ่ง รับ
TschauBaan TschauKong Rue PuuKroobKroong KehaSataan Rue PuuDshadGaan ROOngRaem Sueng Rap
(The) Housemaster owner or posessor (of the) livingplace or (the) Manager (of the) hotel which receives

คนต่างด้าว ซึ่ง ได้รับอนุญาต ให้ อยู่ใน้ราชอาณาจักร เป็นการชั่วคราว เข้าพักอาศัย  จะต้องแจ้งต่อ
KonTaangDao Sueng DaiRapAnujaat Hai YouNaiRatscha-aanatschag PenGaanTschuaKraow KauPagAssai DschaTongTschaengTow
(a) foreigner who received permission to be in (the) kingdom temporary enteres (for) living has (to) report to

พนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ ณ ที่ทำการตรวจคนเข้าเมือง ซึ่ง ตั้งอยู่ใน ท้องที่ ที่ บ้าน  เคหสถาน  หรือ โรงแรม นัน
PanaggaanDschauNatee Na TeeTamGaanTruadKonKauMueang Sueng TangYouNai TongTii Tee Baan KeHaSataan Rue ROOngRaem Nan
The immigration officer at (the) immigrationoffice that (is) installed (at the) local place where (the) house livingplace or hotel it belongs too

ตั้งอยู่ ภายใน ยี่สิบสี่ ชั่วโมง นับแต่ เวลา ที่ คนต่างด้าว เข้าพักอาศัย  ถ้า ท้องที่ใด ไม่มี ที่ทำการตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
TangYou PaiNai YiesipSie TschuamOOng NabTae Waela Tee KonTangDao KauPagAssai Taa TongTeeDai MaiMee TeeTamgaanKonKauMueang
(is) installed (in a) timeframe (of) 24 hours counted since (the) foreinger enters to live. If (the) local area not have a immigrationoffice

ตั้งอยู่ ให้ แจ้ง ต่อ เจ้าพนักงานตำรวจ ณ สถานีตำรวจ ท้องที่ นั้น
TangYou Hai Dsaeng Tow DschauPanaganTamRuad Na SataneeTamruad TongTee Nan
(has) installed let report to the policeofficer at the policeoffice (of) this local area 

ในกรณี ที่ บ้าน  เคหสถาน  หรือ โรงแรม ที่ คนต่างด้าว พักอาศัย ตาม วรรคหนึ่ง ตั้งอยู่
      NaiGolonie Tee Baan KeHaSataan Rue ROOngRaem Tee KonTaangDaoPagAssai Taam WackNueng TangYou
      In the case the house (the) livingplace or (the) hotel where (the) foreigner lives according textparagraph 1 (is) installed

ใน เขต ท้องที่ กรุงเทพมหานคร  ให้ แจ้ง ต่อ พนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ ณ กองตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
Nai Kaet TongTee GrungtaepMahaNakon Hai Dschaeng Tow PanaggaanDschauNatee Na GongTruadKonKauMueaqng
in (the) local area of Bangkok let (the hosemaster etc..) report to the officer at the immigration division.

การแจ้ง ตาม วรรคหนึ่ง และ วรรคสอง ให้ เป็นไป ตาม ระเบียบ ที่ อธิบดี กำหนด
       GaanDschaeng Taam WackNueng lae WackSong Hai PenPai Taam Rabiab Tee Atibodee Gamnot
       The reporting according Textparagraph 1 and Textparagraph so far according to (the) rules released by the general director of the police.  

Compiled together and beautified: 

The Housemaster owner or posessor of the livingplace or the Manager of the hotel which receives
a foreigner for living, who received permission to be in the kingdom on temporary base, has to report to the immigration officer at the immigration office that is installed at the local place where the house livingplace or hotel
is installed, in a timeframe of 24 hours counted since the foreinger entered to live. If the local area not has a immigration office installed let the (Housemaster ...) report to the policeofficer at the police office of this local area.
At the area of Bangkok let (the housemaster etc..) report to the officer at the immigration division.

The term "Housemaster" เจ้าบ้าน is defined in มาตรา ๔ Article 4:
The Housemaster means the person who is the หัวหน้า (the boss in the house) who possesses the house in a status as owner or renter or any other status according to the "people registration act".

Who has to Report? The Housemaster has to report.

Who is the Housemaster? The person who is the boss in the house and has the right to decide what is going on in it

Who has to be reported? All foreigners with temporary permission to be in the kingdom and living in the house the housemaster is responsible for.

When has to be reported? Within 24 hours countet from the moment where the
concerned person starts living in the house.

Does Art. 38 says anything about how often has to be reported?
Every time when a foreinger starts living in the belonging house.

I appologize for the big, bad english and thai mixed text.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:03 PM, Maestro said:

1. It is not necessary to make the TM.30 notification in person. It can also be done by mail or online.

2. If you choose to make the TM.30 notification in person, it is not necessary that the foreigner whose arrival at your residence you are notifying accompany you to the immigration office.

1. Don't know anything about mail, online doesn't work they never receive the details.

2. Right, great idea, I'l just send the old fart to wheel/limp himself across town to do it alone, ****ing brilliant mate

Archived