BANGKOK
3421abc

Thailand VS Vietnam? Which one will be better in 5yrs?

On 7/31/2019 at 9:45 PM, madmen said:

And this loose visa policy will get tight soon enough don't worry about that,

You were right about that. New rules go into effect 20 July 2020:

"Accordingly, the amended law stipulates that a foreigner will be allowed to remain for only 30 days in Vietnam when granted a 30-day or longer tourist visa"

https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/police-profile-foreign-criminals-entering-vietnam-601182.html

On 1/16/2020 at 7:11 AM, Roy Baht said:

You were right about that. New rules go into effect 20 July 2020:

"Accordingly, the amended law stipulates that a foreigner will be allowed to remain for only 30 days in Vietnam when granted a 30-day or longer tourist visa"

https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/police-profile-foreign-criminals-entering-vietnam-601182.html

Very worrying. If the law is enforced as conveyed today, then thousands of expats will be forced to leave Vietnam and look elsewhere. And I will have to trash my plans to return to VN to live. Granted, there are some new investor visas but it appears all the old methods are dead and buried. 

Some legal firms in VN are saying they are waiting for further "guidance" and "clarifications" before July. But there appears to be a strong government move to clean out all the foreigners working without a proper visa or permit. In fact, I think the 30-day-and-out rule is meant to discourage people (oh, just for example, maybe teachers and Chinese) from even entering.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1