Thailand VS Vietnam? Which one will be better in 5yrs?

On 9/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, drbeach said:

I have driven extensively in both countries and Vietnam definitely feels more dangerous (and like you, I have done north to south and east to west in Vietnam except for the mountainous areas to the west of Sapa). For the record, I drive cars and only rarely motorcycles. No doubt riding a motorcycle in Bangkok is scary, but a car, not so much.

The road infrastructure is far superior in Thailand to Vietnam and driving in Thailand just feels much safer, even if it's not all that "safe".

West of Sa Pa is some of the best riding areas, especially looping down to Dien Bien Phu, the far north west is out of bounds, i am on my way there soon, another south to north trip and back.

Maybe because the roads are better here people drive faster and cause more accidents. Maybe not. I feel safer in Vietnam. ????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 11:45 AM, SteveK said:

How many old black men or old white women are ex-pats in Thailand?

I'm not saying that old white guys are cancer. I'm saying that they are seen as a cancer by governments such as Thailand's, hence all the effort to force them out. Please read my post before posting stupid comments.

There are more old white men in America than old black men so whats your point?  Most black people live in Africa and die before they get old. Average life expectancy in most countries in Africa is 50.  People from third world countries go to developed countries to improve their lives, they dont go from one third world country to another one. There are more Filipinos living in America than there are white men living in the Philippines. Why is it okay for blacks,hispanics and Asians to move to white countries but when a retired white guy who is living on 1,000 dollars a month SS check moves to a country cheaper than America you call it cancer. 

Edited by jasonhpi
  • Like 1

The week I visited Vietnam was unpleasant to say the least. I was almost a victim of a scam. I had trouble getting a grab or 'be' taxi. I also had troubling ordering food. Food choices were very limited. I had a hard time communicating with vendors and locals. The traffic is horrendous and I will never get used to it. The noise pollution is off the charts. The pollution in Hanoi was roughly at 150 on the AQIndex when I was there. I was overcharged a couple of times and I knew they were taking advantage of me. The stares... half the people on every block stared at me, an egregious behavior in my opinion. I just had a really bad experience compared to living here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Pretty much the opposite of everything I listed. 

On the plus side: Education probably wins, cost of living is roughly the same. I've been a member of an expat Hanoi group of quite some time and I see the values. The snack selection far outweighs Thailand as they do trade with Korea and they offer the best snacks. No Visa Headaches. 

In 5 years? It's hard to say. Vietnam is starting to look very attractive to investors. Trade deals with Vietnam are well liked. I think a lot more opportunity for advancement will go their way. I will be visiting Vietnam again next month and am not looking forward to it... I know the Taxi drivers are going to take advantage of me at the airport, need to find an alternative option including public transportation. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cheesekraft said:

Thailand is rapidly declining in so many ways, terribly unhealthy air, increasingly expensive, that is enough for me to bet on Vietnam or even a random country.

lol yeah because vietnam doesn't have the same <deleted>ty air.

Not surprised many don't make it here, if that's the kind of research that is done before moving somewhere.

Have fun paying worldwide taxes in vietnam on everything etc - or you get blacklisted from leaving.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cheesekraft said:

Thailand is rapidly declining in so many ways, terribly unhealthy air, increasingly expensive, that is enough for me to bet on Vietnam or even a random country.

I hear Somalia is nice in the Springtime.  Enjoy.

• Confused 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:23 PM, sanemax said:

What an unpleasant thing to post , may get deleted 

Why? It's the truth and we should not be offended by the truth.

No sane nation wants to get lumbered with the elderly from foreign countries unless it benefits them financially to do so. We all know this.

Girls only go with old men for what they can get out of them. And we all know this as well.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^ As far as the other controversial topic, the truth is hard to swallow. Western men in general are stigmatized. Told some friends that I was leaving for Thailand and they instantly brought up girls. These are the same people that can't tell you where Thailand is on a map, but they know its a poor country and sex trafficking does exist here. It was never my intention to take advantage of women or find love. If you are married, the assumption is vacation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2019 at 11:11 AM, robertson468 said:

You really are a thoroughly unpleasant person, who clearly has a mental  issue.  It has nothing to do with hitting nerves or such like, it's called respecting you fellow human being, whether they be black, white, buddhist, christian, old, young, male, female, trans.  Please go to another website to do you disgusting ranting.  You are not wanted on here.........do you hear!!!!

He is wanted on here. His approval rating tells you as much.

Do you hear!!!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 12:32 PM, canuckamuck said:

Obviously one country is steadily improving, and the other is stumbling over its own greed and making everything worse in the race to fill their pockets. In 5 years and people will feel sorry for the Thai expats.

Is that Thai expats themselves or falang expats in Thailand?

On 8/1/2019 at 2:41 PM, Curmudgeonly59 said:

Back on the subject matter please: the original clickbait/provocation post asked for comments comparing Thailand with Vietnam 5 years from now... 

People are describing their experience with locals. A very important aspect of the topic under discussion. Probably one of the most important aspects of life for an ex pat or visitor wherever he or she may find themselves.

Few have much experience of life in VN so few comment on it. Why not tell us what you think of VN now and then possibly how it will be in 5 years time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jasonhpi said:

There are more old white men in America than old black men so whats your point?  Most black people live in Africa and die before they get old. Average life expectancy in most countries in Africa is 50.  People from third world countries go to developed countries to improve their lives, they dont go from one third world country to another one. There are more Filipinos living in America than there are white men living in the Philippines. Why is it okay for blacks,hispanics and Asians to move to white countries but when a retired white guy who is living on 1,000 dollars a month SS check moves to a country cheaper than America you call it cancer. 

He mentioned the word cancer as a comparative term but did not actually call it cancer.

Read the original post and see what you think.

51 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

What people experience in any big city in the world is much different than in the smaller cities. You can't compare Hanoi with smaller cities the same as Bangkok to smaller cities in Thailand.

i could never live in Hanoi, Bangkok, both putrid air, concrete jungles, scams etc. 

Getaway from the big cities and things change drastically.gogle translate has anapp, simply download it and it makes communication very very easy, you can type it in the phone, or speak into it. Then it speaks in the language chosen. 

Quite simple to get around any language issue in any country in the world. Even for us old guys.

next trip download the app, if you're having trouble, ask a young person to set it up for you.

case solved.

transportation from the airport?????? You obviously didn't do any homework before arriving.

before arriving anywhere in the world, you should research airport transportation.

in Vietnam, they have fabulous public transportation , outside the airport, there new air conditioned buses, with English speaking employees. Bus 7and17 bring you into the city for 20 cents, yes, 20 cents. They have these at EVERY major airport in Vietnam.

do they have this in Bangkok, or other airports???

ever been scammed by a taxi driver in suwannaboom?

so as u see, with a tiny bit of research, you can avoid things like this.

feel free to ask anything else, or simply spend a few minutes on a thing called google. And save some headaches.

You didn't really retain anything from my post did you? I did mention Grab. And I mentioned something uniquely associated with Vietnam... an app that they use called 'BE' that doesn't exist here in Thailand. I did do more than a "tiny bit" of research. I figure why use a bus when I have the convenience of 2 transportation apps. Neither of which helped me at the airports, Da Nang and Hanoi. I kept getting canceled. I had to haggle with a green taxi (Also found out about these doing my research) that should of been metered. 

As for the google translation... if you've ever used it, you would know its not perfect. I've seen too many confused faces. But, that is just how it is and if I do stay in SE Asia long term, I should start learning their language(s).

This is my experience between 2 cities, Chiang Mai and Hanoi. Yes, one is a little bit bigger than the other. 

Didn't mean to trigger you............

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Forgot to add, there is also an app called Busmap, it is for any city in Vietnam. Shows routes, locations, prices etc. Very good public transportation, in new buses from 20 cents. Easy to use. 

These are all smart phone apps, right? Can anyone tell me how I get a mobile phone or SIM card in Vietnam? Can I get a SIM card that I can just slip into the phone I use in Thailand? Also, I'd heard that mobile phones are hard for foreigners to get in Vietnam--like you need a Vietnamese person to help you buy one? Any truth in that?

36 minutes ago, ThaiBrian said:

You didn't really retain anything from my post did you? I did mention Grab. And I mentioned something uniquely associated with Vietnam... an app that they use called 'BE' that doesn't exist here in Thailand. I did do more than a "tiny bit" of research. I figure why use a bus when I have the convenience of 2 transportation apps. Neither of which helped me at the airports, Da Nang and Hanoi. I kept getting canceled. I had to haggle with a green taxi (Also found out about these doing my research) that should of been metered. 

As for the google translation... if you've ever used it, you would know its not perfect. I've seen too many confused faces. But, that is just how it is and if I do stay in SE Asia long term, I should start learning their language(s).

This is my experience between 2 cities, Chiang Mai and Hanoi. Yes, one is a little bit bigger than the other. 

Didn't mean to trigger you............

Didn't realize you had downloaded the grab app. Never ever had a taxi not turn the metre on in Vietnam,. Could u not have asked him to turn the meter on???????????? Or with a little more research, you could have opened the door, got out and jumped on the bus for 20 cents.hhhmmmm, kids these days.

Edited by Ron jeremy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

These are all smart phone apps, right? Can anyone tell me how I get a mobile phone or SIM card in Vietnam? Can I get a SIM card that I can just slip into the phone I use in Thailand? Also, I'd heard that mobile phones are hard for foreigners to get in Vietnam--like you need a Vietnamese person to help you buy one? Any truth in that?

Yes, smart phone apps, yes u can get a SIM card anywhere, airport or mobile shops, they will set it up for you. Choose your plan, same as anywhere in the world, and yes, I beleive you can buy a phone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

Didn't realize you had downloaded the grab app. Never ever had a taxi not turn the metre on in Vietnam,. Could u not have asked him to turn the meter on???????????? Or with a little more research, you could have opened the door, got out and jumped on the bus for 20 cents.hhhmmmm, kids these days.

Can't believe I'm responding to you... is English your first language? Can you structure your sentences a little bit better? Maybe put more thought into your questions. Some questions could be left unsaid. You have such a wild imagination. Anyways, after trying the 2 apps and talking to 3 other green taxi drivers, I walked to the other side of the terminal where the green taxi's were parked. I ran into a driver that just got on duty and after negotiating, it was the best offer out of the 4 drivers. Since this was time sensitive (I'll tell you why, let me finish the story), I accepted the offer. I knew not to expect taxi drivers to turn on the meter (RESEARCH), especially for farangs, especially when they have a racketeer operation at play. Again, this was at the airport and every time I got canceled on my app, it was a totally different driver.... all in on it. 

Edit: Never mind on explaining why it was time sensitive, I am kind of over you at this point and don't want to continue going down what seems to be an endless rabbit hole............. 'kids these days'.

Edit: Now I know why I upset you after reviewing your profile. 

Edited by ThaiBrian
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think you need 'old' in that sentence for it to still work.

But it's only old blokes who get hiked up long term with Thai girls. The girls seek them out because they are the ones who have money. I don't know any young blokes with permanent nor long term Thai girls. The girls know that a relationship with an older falang is guaranteed to be far more lucrative.

The girls avoid young falangs because

1 They claim the younger fellows don't want to pay them.

2 They are butterflies. ie the young blokes want to to play the field.

3 They don't hang around long enough. They are nearly always Two or Three Week Wonders. Here today gone tomorrow.

Years ago in the UK before the welfare system was introduced some young women used to purposefully set their sights on older richer men in order to attain a life on Easy Street.

Such a woman was known as an 'old man's darling'. That's exactly the same situation with these much younger Thai women when they tell us old goats how handsome we are.

It's retired falangs whose money has paid for all these fancy houses and motor cars you see up in the boondocks belonging to ex bar girls.

Once Vietnam gets in on the game it'll be the old boys the girls chase after not the young 'uns.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

You can easily get a VN SIM card at any airport, cheap and easy. They will put it for you and make sure it works. If you are there long term there are plenty of mobile stores that sell SIM cards that you can load up as you like. Never looked to buy a phone, but it doesn't seem to be a problem what from I have heard.

11 hours ago, ThaiBrian said:

The week I visited Vietnam was unpleasant to say the least. I was almost a victim of a scam. I had trouble getting a grab or 'be' taxi. I also had troubling ordering food. Food choices were very limited. I had a hard time communicating with vendors and locals. The traffic is horrendous and I will never get used to it. The noise pollution is off the charts. The pollution in Hanoi was roughly at 150 on the AQIndex when I was there. I was overcharged a couple of times and I knew they were taking advantage of me. The stares... half the people on every block stared at me, an egregious behavior in my opinion. I just had a really bad experience compared to living here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Pretty much the opposite of everything I listed. 

On the plus side: Education probably wins, cost of living is roughly the same. I've been a member of an expat Hanoi group of quite some time and I see the values. The snack selection far outweighs Thailand as they do trade with Korea and they offer the best snacks. No Visa Headaches. 

In 5 years? It's hard to say. Vietnam is starting to look very attractive to investors. Trade deals with Vietnam are well liked. I think a lot more opportunity for advancement will go their way. I will be visiting Vietnam again next month and am not looking forward to it... I know the Taxi drivers are going to take advantage of me at the airport, need to find an alternative option including public transportation. 

Not to pile on, but I have been to Vietnam over 20 times (all over the country) and only once maybe 10 years ago did a taxi try to rip me off from the airport. Only use Mai Linh (Green) or VinaSun (White) taxis, make sure to avoid the copycat look a likes. GRAB has worked well for me the past three years, never had a problem. All my local friends pretty much only use GRAB and similar apps. It's up to you if you want to use it, if not you pay the premium. Heck the taxi situation in Chiang Mai is much worse than anyplace in Vietnam I have been.

Hanoi weather sucks massively in January and February (also July and August) so plan accordingly. There is something called the internet use it. Getting overcharged is pretty endemic worldwide - I've seen tourist in NYC get charged $5 for a hot pretzel, nothing to stop you from walking away. If the price seems fair to me, I have no problem paying it - especially if it's a small amount. 

Maybe you should stay in your comfort zone of Chiang Mai - just saying.

• Like 2