BANGKOK
3421abc

Thailand VS Vietnam? Which one will be better in 5yrs?

5 hours ago, Curmudgeonly59 said:

Yes you can. Restrictions but easy to research.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

You confine your comparison to motor vehicles only. Why don't you include motor cycles, they cause deaths also. I know it suits your agenda. 

The facts are:

For 2018 the road toll death rate per 100,000 in Thailand was 32.7. That was a long way ahead of Vietnam at 26.7.

Taken from the World Health Organisation report.

It seems that your comprehension level is not really up to scale, so let me help you a little.

A motorcycle has a motor attached, so it is included in motor vehicles,

The World health organisation hasn't released figures for 2018 yet, so maybe you can share the link then.

The figures in the WHO article are for 2016

26.4 is about 19% less than 32.7, so a far cry from your 64%, and it is per 100.000 of the population, not by motor vehicle

• Like 2

5 years?

Thailand hands down.

The estimates I am reading are saying 2050 may be the turning point.

For the near future Vietnam is a big big down grade in life style and quality of life.

If a person is ok with that, then go enjoy and please.. report back.

2 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

It seems that your comprehension level is not really up to scale, so let me help you a little.

A motorcycle has a motor attached, so it is included in motor vehicles,

The World health organisation hasn't released figures for 2018 yet, so maybe you can share the link then.

The figures in the WHO article are for 2016

26.4 is about 19% less than 32.7, so a far cry from your 64%, and it is per 100.000 of the population, not by motor vehicle

Believe and interpret what you want Newbie. You are an nothing more than an apprentice troll merchant. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, drbeach said:

Indeed. Vietnam is an even more dangerous place to drive than Thailand, on average. I have done it and I know what I'm talking about. Lots more motorcycles there, slower traffic speeds, but almost as many deaths. They have fewer vehicles on the road there, about 8 times fewer cars although more motorcycles.

Unbelievable, where have you driven/ridden in the country? Or in fact Thailand?

I have ridden South to North (Chinese border) Far North East and West and back two times, on many different roads and most big cities, no way is it more dangerous there.

I have ridden maybe 100,000 km in Thailand too, so maybe i can make the comparison.

In Vietnamese cities, i understand it feels more intimidating, but not more dangerous. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drbeach said:

I agree with your first paragraph in general, although I disagree with the conspiracy theory floating around in expat circles that the government here is trying to get rid of all foreigners, especially westerners. They are instead trying to get rid of what the British call "riff-raff" by removing long-staying foreigners on the wrong visas (such as tourist visas) and upping the anti for retirement visas to ensure only relatively high-net worth individuals can remain. So they are "cleaning up" the country not to get rid of foreigners per se, but less desirable foreigners. There's a difference. They may not be going about it in the right way, but in their mind they think they are doing the right thing though I doubt it's based on xenophobia as such, otherwise I would have felt it by now, but I don't.

In all my dealings with Thai immigration it has actually been relatively pleasant for the most part. Exceptions always exist but on average, Thai immigration is far more pleasant than Cambodian immigration and don't get me started on Vietnamese customs officials. Horrible, aggressive and completely uncompromising people. Throwing passports back at tourists, including first time visitors is a common occurrence, especially at land borders. Forget about bringing in a car for tourism purposes. They hate that.

The people in all three countries are pretty friendly towards foreigners on the whole, though the Vietnamese have this weird habit of staring at foreigners as soon as you get outside of the tourist/expat areas. It's bizarre...I mean, haven't these people ever seen even any foreigners, who are often located just a short distance away? I once went to a rural area just outside of Nha Trang and was completely surprised by the weird response I received. Smiles and hellos from the kids, everyone crowding around to touch my hair and uncomfortable stares from the older generation. Yet just 30km away, thousands of foreigners, including Russians, Chinese and westerners from other countries were all over the place. It's like these rural folk came from the back of the moon, completely bizarre.

Yet when I travel to some isolated place or one which doesn't see many westerners anywhere in Thailand, nobody stares or acts weird. Even the kids rarely say hello and definitely no crowds form.

I think it's the mentality. Thais are often on the receiving end of criticism by jaded expats and foreigners, especially on this forum, but as you have correctly pointed out, there is a reason why Thailand hosts more westerners than any other Asian country other than Singapore. Even more than the Philippines I think, although numbers in that country may come close. It's because Thailand is, despite it's faults still far more welcoming than Japan, Korea, China and yes, ultimately, to some extent even Vietnam. Vietnam is fine if you stick to the tourist/expat areas, but it's not a very comfortable place to live if you choose to live out in the sticks. In fact, the government may not allow it and doesn't like foreigners hanging around border areas, except near official crossings.

Forget about bringing in a car for tourism purposes. They hate that.

It's not allowed, so why think it's personal? It's a pity, because riding from here through to the north of Laos, Vietnam, then south and back through Cambodia would be great. But governments have stopped it, not individual customs/immigration officers. 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

5 years?

Thailand hands down.

The estimates I am reading are saying 2050 may be the turning point.

For the near future Vietnam is a big big down grade in life style and quality of life.

If a person is ok with that, then go enjoy and please.. report back.

i'm on quest for Vietnam information and curious about its future development. Can you please give me the source of the info you're referring to? I want to know what criteria it's based on. That would help with decisions about committing myself to a long stay there.

After all, each of us has different wants and needs. For example, living in Bkk would not appeal to me at all, and if someone needs or really likes the shopping, dining, etc. a place like that offers, then maybe we're not after the same thing. I'm a man of very basic needs and have little quest for luxury. 

To give me some scale to work with, what are the top three things for you that cause a big downgrade in lifestyle and quality of living in Vietnam?

All info is appreciated. 

• Like 2

Depends who will be the Leader of Thailand, at this time of the year, it looks like Vietnam is on top.
You better Google human rights abuse Vietnam it's a thousand times worse.. Standard communists

57 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Unbelievable, where have you driven/ridden in the country? Or in fact Thailand?

I have ridden South to North (Chinese border) Far North East and West and back two times, on many different roads and most big cities, no way is it more dangerous there.

I have ridden maybe 100,000 km in Thailand too, so maybe i can make the comparison.

In Vietnamese cities, i understand it feels more intimidating, but not more dangerous. 

Both countries are very dangerous for 2-wheelers. I have also ridden (exclusively bicycles) all over Vietnam and all over Thailand(probably a total of over 300000 km), and still can't make up my mind about where it is/feels more dangerous. Very few roads in Vietnam are 4 lanes with a paved shoulder like in Siam, something that makes you feel safer as a cyclist. On the other hand, Thais on average at least, drive much faster. If I had to guess I would say you probably have a somewhat higher risk of getting hit in Vietnam, but a good chance of surviving that collision, while the risk of dying in a crash is much higher in Thailand. 

43 minutes ago, madmen said:
7 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

You better Google human rights abuse Vietnam it's a thousand times worse.. Standard communists

C-C-C-c-c-coumnists? 😮  Nobody told me about that.  The Humpers told me it was all coconut trees and gogo girls. 🤪  Geeeeeez, maybe the grass is not always greener.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Both countries are very dangerous for 2-wheelers. I have also ridden (exclusively bicycles) all over Vietnam and all over Thailand(probably a total of over 300000 km), and still can't make up my mind about where it is/feels more dangerous. Very few roads in Vietnam are 4 lanes with a paved shoulder like in Siam, something that makes you feel safer as a cyclist. On the other hand, Thais on average at least, drive much faster. If I had to guess I would say you probably have a somewhat higher risk of getting hit in Vietnam, but a good chance of surviving that collision, while the risk of dying in a crash is much higher in Thailand. 

Wait a couple of years till the Vietnamese have so many cars as the Thais and still ignore red traffic lights and all sign. I was two times nearly killed from a motorcycle driver when I crossed a street (had green) and the driver thought he will fit in the gap between me and the sidewalk. They also never give a sh... if they would hurt or kill you. They drive straight and when you don´t run or stop they hit you by looking in your eyes. And these always beep beep annoyed me so much, I was happy when I arrived back in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

Easier to get a girl in Thailand for sure.

Depends where you are in Thailand. Not so easy to get one in northern Thailand if you don´t want one of the rare (compared with Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya) hookers. They are very proud and conservative.

8 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

Vietnamese men specially like to talk to foreigners on a friends level, they are interested in knowing your background and your culture.

Thai men are absolutely not interested in knowing foreigners or being friends w us.

That´s very true. You also can book city tours for free with students, they are happy to improve their English and are curious about all of the country where you come from.