BANGKOK
3421abc

Thailand VS Vietnam? Which one will be better in 5yrs?

1 hour ago, jessebkk1 said:

Hey  Thanks @Cadbury for fact checking the shiny facts from that @ThomasThBKK with his nice play of words he almost got away with his falsified half truths.

I believe this forum is supposed to be informative for those trying to choose between TH and VN. For those who no longer qualify for visas because of lack of funds to meet new requirements, or a lack of will to commit a huge amount of funds in th, or being under 50:  comparing Thailand to Vietnam is like comparing living on Earth to Living on Mars. I'm pretty sure the locals in planet Mars are great, the food is probably fantastic, the women are out of this world, but then why compare if you cant get to mars and live there?

Comparing costs of living in Thailand to Vietnam? Oh it's so cheap in Thailand!...But you had to pay 500k Baht for a 5 year tourist visa or you had to import 800k Baht and keep it in thailand just to make the cut for Retirement visa, without any extra gratuities...How about we factor in the visa costs into how much it really cost to be in Thailand? Switzerland Might be Cheaper!

You have to do the TM30 in Vietnam. Yep, just once, and no one would be complaining if thats the same in TH. To put this in clearer picture, a farang Married to a Vietnamese after their first issued visa only gets to deal with immigration once in every 10years. Whilst their counterparts in TH have to meetbe in immigration offices every 90 days.

There are Huge Human rights abuses in TH and VN, both are almost on the same level, but thailand persecute foreigners more.

The thing about worldwide taxable income is taken out of context, be honest, VN doesnt do that.

To those who say they enjoy doing the 90 day, TM30, Paying 500k for a 5yr tourist Visa, Despise Pattaya and Phuket because they're married, Never really go out so no risk of accident. I want to be clear my input here is for those who are alive and thriving. To put it In a more perspective sense, some us prefer to sleep with our wives, while others prefer to watch someone else sleep with their wives, I can't judge you!

What facts? My facts are correct. Worldwide taxes in Vietnam, just read their law.

The visa costs here are a joke for someone who still works offshore/earns money outside compared to having it fully taxed in that communist hole.

If you are under 50 and you have no money for the elite visa, how on earth are you paying for your life? illegal work in a bar here? 

Having a job here with work permit cost absolutely nothing except a few k baht visa fees.

You make fun of the retirement visa, elite visa costs, investment visas here while that hole doesn't even have ANY visa like that.

Like i said, might be good for poor people there, you included. Not for the rest of us.

Don't be an expat if you have zero savings, go back home and work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Vietnamese women are more conservative, but they are also open to relationships with foreigners if it's based on love.

I've never been to any city in the world like Saigon where I was hit on so often by hookers while just out and about.

Edited by BritManToo

10 hours ago, 3421abc said:

I read every response on my post and it is great to hear everyone's opinion.

Both countries are great, as someone said if you have 800k baht in the bank and is a retiree and does not want to do any entrepreneurial work I truly think Thailand is better than Vietnam.

For business Vietnam has made some very big changes and currently they are more open than Thailand. You can own 100% of the share in your company and don't need to employ any Vietnamese. So for a small business Vietnam is probably the better choice.

Talk about ladies...... the Thai ladies are more interested in foreigners than the Vietnamese counterpart. Vietnamese women are more conservative in my opinion and not so interested in foreigners.

Easier to get a girl in Thailand for sure.

The people of Vietnam seem to be more happy and genuine than the Thais.

Vietnamese men specially like to talk to foreigners on a friends level, they are interested in knowing your background and your culture.

Thai men are absolutely not interested in knowing foreigners or being friends w us.

Bangkok is the safer city. Ho Chi Minh specially has a huge petty theft problem and the honking is just a nuisance to say the least.

Vietnam has been opening itself more and more to foreigners, Thailand has not but they will very soon when they see all the business Vietnam will take away from them. This will put some pressure on Thailand for sure.

The free trade agreement they signed w Europe is a game changer and I have read some articles on Nikkei that Thailand is now worried because it will take serious business from here, the article mentioned specially the auto industry.

Getting married to a Vietnamese lady gives a foreigner more benefits than marring a Thai. One of then is being allowed to purchase a house under your name.

Agree mostly what is said here except for the comment about Thai men being absolutely not interested in knowing us, I find that comment to be a fairly ignorant general representation although it might be true in the area you reside.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Like i said, might be good for poor people there, you included. Not for the rest of us.

Lord above! I'm the only Curmudgeon in this village!  Doesn't that well balanced comment apply to just about anywhere on earth?

23 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I got to call this one out, sorry. I have many expat friends in Bangkok, been here for decades. They

are in business, international technical support, publishing, oil and gas, teaching at university. Their Thai language ranges from basic understanding and speech to beyond intermediate. I don't think I'm exaggerating much in saying not one of them can count a Thai male as anyone more than an occasional acquaintance at a bar. The exceptions are the Indian Thais, a pretty friendly bunch and very rich. 

Yeah sure man, no foreigner here has thai friends.

What an extremely stupid generalisation.

Not sure what thai language would have to do with this, everyone speaks english in my age. I can't even count to ten in thai.

Sounds like an old people problem, maybe get a hobby and find like minded people?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the most distinctive differences between Thailand and Vietnam is that the Thais share and highly value lots of Chinese heritage whereas the Vietnamese generally do not.

It's one of the things I love about Vietnam as I'm not too keen on many of the cultural customs of China. Very refreshing to visit an Asian country that is as different from China as can be. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 10:41 PM, Genmai said:

Jeez what the heck is this? Old white men are a cancer? As opposed to old black men or old white women? Nothing truthful about your disgusting comment, I think you've gone a bit wonky from the heat.

When a 1000+ posts member writes something like this I really wonder if we have a problem in this community...

I think what he has written is ok as it reflects what most of the community is feeling, even if the cancer metaphor is unsavoury.

So it's ok.

My response is to ask why the writer feels this and very importantly, why is this happening?

In the defense of these cancerous old white men, it's worth pointing out that

- the 65,000 baht minimum spend into the economy a month represents the income of half-a-dozen Thai people.

- It's worth saying that the little woman with her two children that the old man is looking after would be working in a very disagreeable job without him and her children would be growing up fatherless.

- It's also worth asking, why so much fuss over such a small population, there are probably no more than 200,000 expat residents in Thailand, this is absolutely nothing compared to say 1 in 5 in Australia.

- And finally, the contribution made by these expats goes well beyond the simple financial, since most of them bring a know how and a set of attitudes that help propel Thailand on its way to the Future.

Instead of defending ourselves, as Ive admittedly done here, you could spin the question around the other way and asked why the people are so shall we say xenophobic. Is the any reason for expats to feel under pressure? Is this institutionalized in any way?

A test question might be to ask why 90 day reporting is not either abolished or applied to the entire population.

• Like 1

On July 31, 2019 at 10:37 AM, GeKoSc said:

How they manage to stay long term when the maximal period is 3 months? The cost for 3-4 border runs a year (if flights are used) may add considerably to the cost of living. Any other option available? 

A business visa is good for 1 year, then do another border run, simple, no 800 k in the bank , no 90 day reporting, no tm 30 reporting. And no business needed, just intention to do business. 

Tourist visas are also much cheaper and easier in Vietnam. Everything is done online if u wish, no mailing away passport , look at the restrictions on the multi entry tourist visa in Thailand now.

if married in Vietnam, also way easier. I am currently checking on the business visa to see what nationalities it is available to.

americans get 1  year tourist visa, but must leave every 3 months.

multi entry tourist visa for Thailand now, $250 Canuck, plus mailing away my passport in secure envelope, and return envelope, bank statement showing 200 k baht single and 400 k baht family, copy of plane ticket and hotel reservation. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

A business visa is good for 1 year, then do another border run, simple, no 800 k in the bank , no 90 day reporting, no tm 30 reporting. And no business needed, just intention to do business. 

All sooo easy and sooo cheap, and available to everyone,  NOT

Business visa requirements

• Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the departure date (Temporary passports may not be accepted)
  • 02 blank pages for visa stamp
  • The stamping fee (for visa on arrival) for business visa is 25 USD for 1 month/3month single entry, 50 USD for 1 month/3month multiple entry and 95 USD for 6 month multiple entry visa.
  • Sponsorship letter from a licensed company in Vietnam is required if you apply through the local embassy in your country.

As of 01 January 2019, 6 month and 1 year multiple entry visas are still unavailable (For visa on arrival). We will update this page frequently if there are changes for 6 month and 1 year visas. We strongly advise that you contact the embassy of Vietnam in your country to apply for your business visa.

I am a Canadian passport holder, can I apply for a 1 year business visa?

Currently, 1 year business visa is available for US passports only. The only way to remain stay in Vietnam on a long term visa is to get a work permit with sponsor letter from your business partner or employer in Vietnam. That will allow you to stay for up to 1-2 years without leaving and returning the country.

TYPE OF VISA 1 year multi entry
SERVICE FEES  280  USD
STAMPING FEE   135  USD

Total 415 USD

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/business-visa.html

Edited by ThePioneer
  • Thanks 2

There were plenty of Chinese and Koreans there last month.
Koreans? As in.. Korean ladies? They are gorgeous! Yes?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I’ve been visiting VN for many years to the north, south, mountains and central areas. I really enjoy my 2 or 3 visits a year but as much as I like it here I don’t want live here (I’m in Vietnam now). 
The country is progressing rapidly and I believe it will overtake Thailand in not too many years. The attitude towards foreigners both as expats and investors is much better than Thailand. The Vietnamese mind is much more open, they’re willing to listen and learn without feeling a loss of face.
To be honest I wish I felt I could live here but for now, even with the negativity towards us getting ever more prevalent, Thailand is still where I want to live
Why do you want to stay in Thailand?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk