BANGKOK
3421abc

Thailand VS Vietnam? Which one will be better in 5yrs?

1 hour ago, 1happykamper said:

Why do you want to stay in Thailand?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Lots of reasons 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 2:09 PM, spidermike007 said:

I tend to think he is right, when it comes to Thailand. Old or young, they just do not seem to want white tourists, or white ex-pats. White means western. Their xenophobia, and racism has really ratcheted itself up a few notches lately. I am not referring to most Thai people. I think alot like us, or at the minimum, are indifferent to us. I am referring to the administration, and most government workers, who are getting indoctrinated by the hyperbolic and extremely ignorant nonsense coming from the top. 

I am not sure this relates to "most Asian nations". But, it is true here in Thailand, unfortunately. 

Good point though it would be a stretch to suggest that Thai government workers or the government in general likes Burmese or Cambodians, or even Chinese. The government knows that Burmese and Cambodian laborers don't complain and they are easy to control. Very different to westerners.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, chrissables said:

Unbelievable, where have you driven/ridden in the country? Or in fact Thailand?

I have ridden South to North (Chinese border) Far North East and West and back two times, on many different roads and most big cities, no way is it more dangerous there.

I have ridden maybe 100,000 km in Thailand too, so maybe i can make the comparison.

In Vietnamese cities, i understand it feels more intimidating, but not more dangerous. 

I have driven extensively in both countries and Vietnam definitely feels more dangerous (and like you, I have done north to south and east to west in Vietnam except for the mountainous areas to the west of Sapa). For the record, I drive cars and only rarely motorcycles. No doubt riding a motorcycle in Bangkok is scary, but a car, not so much.

The road infrastructure is far superior in Thailand to Vietnam and driving in Thailand just feels much safer, even if it's not all that "safe".

On 8/5/2019 at 2:21 PM, Fex Bluse said:

I have to sadly agree. The Asians never wanted anyone else in their countries. They don't even like each other (other Asians). 

They have always been a fiercely proud people with lots of culture (like it or hate hate it). 

As they get richer, they look forward to kicking foreigners out in favor more homogenous societies. 

They are NOT egalitarian, progressive westerners. They are exactly the opposite. 

The only real outreach by any of the Asian countries is when they desperately need money or experience of foreigners.

No better example them Japan which is finding it extremely difficult to get westerners to emigrate.

Thailand with its demographic issues may also have to import lots of foreigners (maybe Chinese though as they share an affinity). I think the Thais will fiercely avoid any long-lived western communities in Thailand. 

The Viets hate the Chinese, so they will be more open to farangs long term. 

What western communities though? Nearly all long-term westerners in Thailand are in relationships with Thai women (or Thai men, if they're women). The few all-western families living here are short term company transfers or missionaries.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, drbeach said:

I have driven extensively in both countries and Vietnam definitely feels more dangerous (and like you, I have done north to south and east to west in Vietnam except for the mountainous areas to the west of Sapa). For the record, I drive cars and only rarely motorcycles. No doubt riding a motorcycle in Bangkok is scary, but a car, not so much.

The road infrastructure is far superior in Thailand to Vietnam and driving in Thailand just feels much safer, even if it's not all that "safe".

West of Sa Pa is some of the best riding areas, especially looping down to Dien Bien Phu, the far north west is out of bounds, i am on my way there soon, another south to north trip and back.

Maybe because the roads are better here people drive faster and cause more accidents. Maybe not. I feel safer in Vietnam. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 5:54 PM, 1happykamper said:

Why do you want to stay in Thailand?

The question in the future will be, "Why should Thailand want you to stay?" 

On 7/31/2019 at 11:45 AM, SteveK said:

How many old black men or old white women are ex-pats in Thailand?

I'm not saying that old white guys are cancer. I'm saying that they are seen as a cancer by governments such as Thailand's, hence all the effort to force them out. Please read my post before posting stupid comments.

There are more old white men in America than old black men so whats your point?  Most black people live in Africa and die before they get old. Average life expectancy in most countries in Africa is 50.  People from third world countries go to developed countries to improve their lives, they dont go from one third world country to another one. There are more Filipinos living in America than there are white men living in the Philippines. Why is it okay for blacks,hispanics and Asians to move to white countries but when a retired white guy who is living on 1,000 dollars a month SS check moves to a country cheaper than America you call it cancer. 

Edited by jasonhpi
  • Like 1

The week I visited Vietnam was unpleasant to say the least. I was almost a victim of a scam. I had trouble getting a grab or 'be' taxi. I also had troubling ordering food. Food choices were very limited. I had a hard time communicating with vendors and locals. The traffic is horrendous and I will never get used to it. The noise pollution is off the charts. The pollution in Hanoi was roughly at 150 on the AQIndex when I was there. I was overcharged a couple of times and I knew they were taking advantage of me. The stares... half the people on every block stared at me, an egregious behavior in my opinion. I just had a really bad experience compared to living here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Pretty much the opposite of everything I listed. 

On the plus side: Education probably wins, cost of living is roughly the same. I've been a member of an expat Hanoi group of quite some time and I see the values. The snack selection far outweighs Thailand as they do trade with Korea and they offer the best snacks. No Visa Headaches. 

In 5 years? It's hard to say. Vietnam is starting to look very attractive to investors. Trade deals with Vietnam are well liked. I think a lot more opportunity for advancement will go their way. I will be visiting Vietnam again next month and am not looking forward to it... I know the Taxi drivers are going to take advantage of me at the airport, need to find an alternative option including public transportation. 

• Thanks 1

Thailand is rapidly declining in so many ways, terribly unhealthy air, increasingly expensive, that is enough for me to bet on Vietnam or even a random country.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cheesekraft said:

Thailand is rapidly declining in so many ways, terribly unhealthy air, increasingly expensive, that is enough for me to bet on Vietnam or even a random country.

lol yeah because vietnam doesn't have the same <deleted>ty air.

Not surprised many don't make it here, if that's the kind of research that is done before moving somewhere.

Have fun paying worldwide taxes in vietnam on everything etc - or you get blacklisted from leaving.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Cheesekraft said:

I hear Somalia is nice in the Springtime.  Enjoy.

• Confused 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:23 PM, sanemax said:

What an unpleasant thing to post , may get deleted 

Why? It's the truth and we should not be offended by the truth.

No sane nation wants to get lumbered with the elderly from foreign countries unless it benefits them financially to do so. We all know this.

Girls only go with old men for what they can get out of them. And we all know this as well.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^ As far as the other controversial topic, the truth is hard to swallow. Western men in general are stigmatized. Told some friends that I was leaving for Thailand and they instantly brought up girls. These are the same people that can't tell you where Thailand is on a map, but they know its a poor country and sex trafficking does exist here. It was never my intention to take advantage of women or find love. If you are married, the assumption is vacation. 

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2019 at 11:11 AM, robertson468 said:

You really are a thoroughly unpleasant person, who clearly has a mental  issue.  It has nothing to do with hitting nerves or such like, it's called respecting you fellow human being, whether they be black, white, buddhist, christian, old, young, male, female, trans.  Please go to another website to do you disgusting ranting.  You are not wanted on here.........do you hear!!!!

He is wanted on here. His approval rating tells you as much.

Do you hear!!!

• Like 1