Solar cells, 330w or 165w for sale in Chiang Mai

BritManToo

Looking for a Solar cell panel

Either 330w for under 4,000bht or 165w for under 2,000bht.

I can buy online for 3,700bht (inc delivery) but would rather pick one up myself.

If you've noticed a pile on sale anywhere please let me know.

Just want to try a little experiment with a cheap grid tie inverter and 300w of solar to see how much it can produce, without spending too much money.

Lots of info online but nothing much relating to our latitude and climate. 

How does monsoon and cloud cover affect the power output?

How does the constant heat and humidity affect the working life of the Grid tie inverter?

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lots of info online but nothing much relating to our latitude and climate. 

Is this any help, I know it's slightly out of date?.

https://www.solaris.co.th/25-english/news/99-solar-gis-map-for-thailand

found a couple more as well which basically show the same thing

http://www.thaisolarenergy.com/knowledge.php

https://solargis.com/maps-and-gis-data/download/thailand

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Global House has a big stack of 330w panels... But they have no charge controllers to speak of and no one on staff there knows anything about solar...

https://globalhouse.co.th/product/detail/3071812103381

I already have a grid tie inverter.

Have you seen them in stock in Chiang Mai, website isn't helpful with stock levels.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

That's online only, unless you've seen stock and prices in a local branch.

I just posted that as the specs... If you go to GH they have a stack of them on display near the fuses and breakers... But as i said no one at the store can answer questions about them

C10EF631-1AC8-4B03-9BC5-6E9EDBA79E94.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After being quoted a small fortune for our electricity connection I started to inquire about solar energy. I wrote to several suppliers and solar installation companies - and believe it or not non except one contacted me back!
Sean from Eyekandi Solar Chiang Mai send me very comprehensive and detailed information regarding ON- and OFF Grid solar systems with prices. We also visited A-Solar along the super highway and they offer only ON-Grid systems. Eyecandi seems to have the best expertise from the inquiries I have made so far. Our situation has now changed after thinking first to go off grid we are now in the process of getting electricity installed and will then go for a 5kw on- grid system for daytime use to bring the electricity bill down and a lithium backup system to run 2 AC’s during the nighttime.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

330W 24 V are on just promotion at Amorn Solar for 3.990Baht.
https://www.amornsolar.com/product-page/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9C%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%A5-330-watt-24v-poly-crystalline
We bought 1 yesterday at Comcity, there were still a few available.
Phone: 0614131030

On 7/31/2019 at 1:33 PM, BritManToo said:

Do any of them mention how 4 months of smog, affect the solar cell output?

if you're so pedantic why don't you do it yourself instead of asking others?

• Sad 2

Came to the party late, however if you find you are short of components there are two solar lighting and energy places I know of.

One on the superhighway between Yok and the bus station turn off.

Second one on the lane near watkhum kiang, Wat chedi Liem entrance.

You can ofcourse pick up panels at Global andAmorn.

I'm surprised nobody else is trying this.

Theory says I should get my money back in less than 5 years (assuming the notoriously unreliable GTI doesn't break).

330w panel should produce 1.5 units/day (5 hours of full sun), 45 units/month @4bht/unit = 180bht = 2,000bht/year.

Problems in Chiang Mai being extreme smog in winter and overcast monsoon in summer, which there is a complete absence of information about.

Initial outlay 6,500bht for the solar parts (panel + GTI),

plus another 3,000bht for the steel and tools to fabricate a stand (Mig welder/angle grinder/rods/disks/steel/cable).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm surprised nobody else is trying this.

Theory says I should get my money back in less than 5 years (assuming the notoriously unreliable GTI doesn't break).

330w panel should produce 1.5 units/day (5 hours of full sun), 45 units/month @4bht/unit = 180bht = 2,000bht/year.

Problems in Chiang Mai being extreme smog in winter and overcast monsoon in summer, which there is a complete absence of information about.

Initial outlay 6,500bht for the solar parts (panel + GTI),

plus another 3,000bht for the steel and tools to fabricate a stand (Mig welder/angle grinder/rods/disks/steel/cable).

One panel is not going to do you much good,need around ten of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

One panel is not going to do you much good,need around ten of them.

Then you have questions from the PEA, and would need to spend a fortune getting approval, and expensive approved equipment.

One or two panels won't be noticeable from my meter.

I only use under 400 units/month. I'm OK with just knocking 200-400bht (30%) off my monthly bill.

Edited by BritManToo

21 minutes ago, naboo said:

Not the most reliable of websites, but this says average annual sunshine in Chiang Mai is over 7hrs/day. 4hrs is very conservative.

Unfortunately, unless you're paying for sun tracking mounts, most of your output occurs when the sun is at 90 degrees to your cell. So in Chiang Mai, you point your panels straight up, and realistically your production is between 10 am and 2pm, and the rest of the day only gets you an hours worth.

Also that site gives 9hrs/day when the sun isn't overhead or when there's thick smog.

The information needed is direct sunlight hours between 10am-2pm, no cloud, no smog, clear sky.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I am a bit puzzled with your economics here.

I realise you are tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm but to spend 6400bt on something to save say 300bt a month is going to be near on 2 years without any guarantees before you can appreciate your decision.

You can much easily save 300bt of electric by reducing any air con usage, switching off lights, spending 500 less hours on Thai visa, one beer a week less.

Cmon man you are letting the thrifty team down here by spending on projects deemed to fail

• Haha 1

I tried this once.

How efficient is your grid tie inverter?

What angle will you set your panels at?

What direction will you point your panels?

I found that the results were disappointing.

I would suggest buying a small wind turbine as these can generate power 24hours a day.

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

I tried this once.

How efficient is your grid tie inverter?

What angle will you set your panels at?

What direction will you point your panels?

I found that the results were disappointing.

I would suggest buying a small wind turbine as these can generate power 24hours a day.

Don't know, haven't turned it on yet.

Straight up, as recommended for the tropics.

News so far not good, in 3 days I managed to generate just 1 unit of electricity.

Without direct sunlight, it produces almost nothing (50-60W), and in the last 3 days it was overcast with just 2 hours of sunlight.

This morning at 9am, the sun came out, and it worked.

Looks like 4 months of smog + 2 months of monsoon = 6 months of no solar energy.

sunnymorning2.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

Have put up a few panels, 2 running a irrigation pump direct and 4 running a 1500w PSW off grid inverter via 40A charge controller and 2 x 125A flooded lead acid batteries. 

Heat is your enemy, electronics will fail if running near the limit so keep em cool. The panels rated output will drop when hot.

Many people are selling panels 300w Plus for around 4k baht.

Most don't sell the Ali profile,clamps,MC4 plugs,cable etc and online is the best way for these bits, ( ordered some 4Mtr Ali roof profile online and they had to cut it in half to transport ????)

Grid tie inverters seem to be expensive in Thailand compared to the overpriced UK.

Example Solax boost 3.3Kw UK £334, Thai 39K baht (£1044) 

Feed in tariffs seem to be falling, I think less than 2 baht is the latest.

Grid tie self consumption seems to be the sensible option but keep an eye on the meter as you don't want a negative reading ????

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Been working hard this afternoon cutting out a frame with a 4" angle grinder.

350bht for a lump of steel box, 50mm x 25mm x6m and 2.5mm thick.

Tired now, leaving the drilling and welding for another day.

frame 1.jpg

frame 2.jpg

He said to wife "If we dont save money with this panel, I will hang myself"

Hes getting ready....

• Haha 2