No Combo with SSA!

MamaSan

'Refused extension at CM today with combo option.  

After spending nearly 2 hours at BKK Bank (ChangKlan across from ShangriLa branch) painstakingly securing the required letter and each of 12 consecutive monthly deposit confirmations clearly received from the US Social Security Administration as FTTs into Thailand, I presented the stack, requesting they be considered along with yet another bank letter bringing my application to the 800K required for retirement extension.

Nope. I was told that because my monthly pension itself did not exceed 65K, only the bank lump sum could be considered - and that needed to exceed 800K alone.

When I mentioned that I understood there to be a third combo option, I was given the attached Chiang Mai Rules and the IO pointed to 7.3 which he said required this pension to be "certified by his/her embassy or consulate in Thailand."  He did mention that he was aware that the US no longer issued this affidavit and said because of that, even this very clearly documented audit trail, signed and certified by Bangkok Bank was insufficient.

Pursuing this circular line of reasoning further, I asked if this quandary also then applies to the section 7  65K option which also requires a consulate affidavit.  "We have more flexibility with our US customers who have more than 65K/mo" was the response.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just adding a note as 

I am also in Chiang Mai. I have my SS ($1292.00 a month = insufficient to meet 65,000 monthly transfer requirement) to my US financial institution. About $2200.00 is then automatically transferred to BBK NYC showing up in my account here within 2 business days. I am aware of the new September cutoff of BBK NYC not accepting my financial transfer as it does not meet their formatting requirements. I have set up a Transferwise account as backup but Transferwise has started that they cannot guarantee it will be credited as an FTT transfer by Bangkok Bank. The term, ”catch 22” comes to mind. Problem of trying to make one rule applicable to all and dealing with Americans which is like herding cats. Extension of stay granted earlier this month but not without going through the banking steps you outlined.

The rules & application should be same no matter what office go to.. Plus, in Gov't drive to seek out 'overstayers' & illegals, through inflexible rules & putting Draconian old laws into play, are affecting legit Expats , who'll consider 'do I want to stay here or go elsewhere???'...                                                        The loss of expat income to Thai economy is under-estimated by PM Prayut & his Gov't Colleagues!!!  

12 minutes ago, eggers said:

The rules & application should be same no matter what office go to.. Plus, in Gov't drive to seek out 'overstayers' & illegals, through inflexible rules & putting Draconian old laws into play, are affecting legit Expats , who'll consider 'do I want to stay here or go elsewhere???'...                                                        The loss of expat income to Thai economy is under-estimated by PM Prayut & his Gov't Colleagues!!!  

This is Thailand.  Immigration offices are not the same.  Why post what should be?  Won't change anything.  

28 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just adding a note as 

I am also in Chiang Mai. I have my SS ($1292.00 a month = insufficient to meet 65,000 monthly transfer requirement) to my US financial institution. About $2200.00 is then automatically transferred to BBK NYC showing up in my account here within 2 business days. I am aware of the new September cutoff of BBK NYC not accepting my financial transfer as it does not meet their formatting requirements. I have set up a Transferwise account as backup but Transferwise has started that they cannot guarantee it will be credited as an FTT transfer by Bangkok Bank. The term, ”catch 22” comes to mind. Problem of trying to make one rule applicable to all and dealing with Americans which is like herding cats. Extension of stay granted earlier this month but not without going through the banking steps you outlined.

Where did you hear/read about the September cutoff of transfers thru BBK NYC?

Btw, why not just make a one-time deposit 800K into your Thai savings account? You would then not have to worry about the monthly transfers. If you do not have 800K available in your savings/portfolio, then perhaps Thailand is not the place to retire.

10 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Btw, why not just make a one-time deposit 800K into your Thai savings account? You would then not have to worry about the monthly transfers. If you do not have 800K available in your savings/portfolio, then perhaps Thailand is not the place to retire.

Not everyone has the ability to deposit 800k in a Thai bank tho they may have the combined income of 65000k/mo

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Not everyone has the ability to deposit 800k in a Thai bank tho they may have the combined income of 65000k/mo

I understand that. But IMHO, these folks should not be retiring in a foreign country when they have such limited financial resources. Perhaps they should retire in their home country, or seek out another less expensive locale other than Thailand.

The monthly depositors are at the mercy of exchanges rates and FFT (or is it FTT?) markings in their bank book. Jeez, what kind of life is that... having to worry every 30 days.

You neglect to mention the amount of your Social Security deposit into your Bangkok Bank account and then the amount specified by "yet another bank letter."  If the total amount transferred into your Bangkok Bank account every month is equal to 65,000 Baht or more, you qualify for the one-year extension.  You don't need a letter from the consulate.  Besides, they don't issue them any more.  A bank wire to your Bangkok Bank account will result in an "FTT" deposit.  Bank-to-bank transfers stopped working in June or July of this year.  Transferwise and other transfer services are not guaranteed to get the money into your account as an "FTT."  Your case sounds pretty easy.  Just subtract the amount of your Social Security direct deposit from $2,200 and then wire the balance to your Bangkok Bank account every month.  So long as your bank book shows 65,000 or more of FTT transfers every month, you will qualify for your next extension.

1 hour ago, Gumballl said:

If you do not have 800K available in your savings/portfolio, then perhaps Thailand is not the place to retire.

I don't have the 800000, nor here in Thailand, neither in my home country.

Since 2000 is Thailand the place I retired.

Since 2000 are the Immigration Officers, with who  I am dealing with yearly, agree with my choice.

They have always grant me my 1 year extension, based on income in my home country, without any problem.

It can of course be not the case anymore next year.

Everything can change here, also the amount of 800000.

5 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

You neglect to mention the amount of your Social Security deposit into your Bangkok Bank account and then the amount specified by "yet another bank letter."  If the total amount transferred into your Bangkok Bank account every month is equal to 65,000 Baht or more, you qualify for the one-year extension.  You don't need a letter from the consulate.  Besides, they don't issue them any more.  A bank wire to your Bangkok Bank account will result in an "FTT" deposit.  Bank-to-bank transfers stopped working in June or July of this year.  Transferwise and other transfer services are not guaranteed to get the money into your account as an "FTT."  Your case sounds pretty easy.  Just subtract the amount of your Social Security direct deposit from $2,200 and then wire the balance to your Bangkok Bank account every month.  So long as your bank book shows 65,000 or more of FTT transfers every month, you will qualify for your next extension.

He makes it clear his monthly deposit is less than 65k.. 

Previously this was accepted in combination with a Thai bank deposit. This however needed no seasoning which is exactly how the agents bribe the extensions. The combo route is not the pure income route. 

As part of the new seasoning rules, some offices no longer accept sub 65k international deposits in combo unless there is an affidavit. Its that simple. 

He didnt say he couldnt do that next .

He was informing us that the combo method was not accepted there in CM.

That information was useful.

Way more useful than an idiotic suggestion to do what we all know 'works' , then add  the same old ego boosting stance that maybe Thailand isnt for him...

Write something useful ... 

Yes this is really getting ridiculous especially when you have proof of the transfers.
Maybe this has been suggested already but would it help that you have your social security pension transferred to an American account and then transfer it to yourself in Thailand as an international transfer.
Hence no embassy letter needed - it’s a monthly transfer of your private funds - not a pension transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

The agents love this. They've  got Chiang Mai immigration to block everybody from US, UK and Australia doing the combine method.  That's their market piece now....

Two months ago Assist Thai Visa a major agent in Chiang Mai has said publicly that they can not help with combo method either... 

4 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Yes this is really getting ridiculous especially when you have proof of the transfers.
Maybe this has been suggested already but would it help that you have your social security pension transferred to an American account and then transfer it to yourself in Thailand as an international transfer.
Hence no embassy letter needed - it’s a monthly transfer of your private funds - not a pension transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

it either has to be >65k (which apparently isnt possible) or it needs an affidavit with it, to use the combination method. 

4 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Assist Thai Visa a major agent in Chiang Mai has said publicly that they can not help with combo method either... 

...and at the same time plenty of agencies with a 'fee' and nothing needed.. 

We all know why.. 

Regular ACH transfers is what he is referring to.  You can still send wires or, if your bank is set up for it, IACH transfers.  Just found out about it myself so looking into IACH transfers from my bank or send wires for my 2x/yr money transfers.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

This is Thailand.  Immigration offices are not the same.  Why post what should be?  Won't change anything.  

Yep, do nothing, say nothing, sit on your fat arse doing zero

!! Don''t suppose U signed petition? 

4 minutes ago, eggers said:

Yep, do nothing, say nothing, sit on your fat arse doing zero

!! Don''t suppose U signed petition? 

Signed when it was less than a 100.. and yet its a paltry 2xxx signatures !! 

Wake me up when these have any effect tho.. 

Fact is Thailand always is like this, immigration, land offices, amphurs, DMVs, etc etc etc.. The only consistency is the inconsistency. 

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

...and at the same time plenty of agencies with a 'fee' and nothing needed.. 

We all know why.. 

Maybe it Pattaya/Bangkok but I have never read or heard of an agency in Chiang Mai that can arrange a “nothing needed” visa extension...

Not sure what you are suggesting here but if everybody had the 800.000 to deposit in a bank account we would hardly have to discuss the income or combo method here. 65.000 Baht a month should be plenty currently in Thailand to have a comfortable relaxed life.

And I am not sure who you think you are to tell people if they should or if they are qualified to retire here or not - the real value of people can surely not be measured in material wealth but in their ability to pass on knowledge, creativity, social contributions and interactions, friendliness and the ability to be happy with what they have - but surely not by their bank account otherwise we would have a boring world full of selfish, dumb, rich a..holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Not sure what you are suggesting here but if everybody had the 800.000 to deposit in a bank account we would hardly have to discuss the income or combo method here. 65.000 Baht a month should be plenty currently in Thailand to have a comfortable relaxed life.

And I am not sure who you think you are to tell people if they should or if they are qualified to retire here or not - the real value of people can surely not be measured in material wealth but in their ability to pass on knowledge, creativity, social contributions and interactions, friendliness and the ability to be happy with what they have - but surely not by their bank account otherwise we would have a boring world full of selfish, dumb, rich a..holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Listen slick, I am not telling people what to do; the Thai gov't is the one setting the bar for what it takes to retire in Thailand. It's either seasoning 800K in the bank, or legit proof of 65K coming in each month from a foreign source. It's not rocket science.

If a person cannot meet this basic requirement, then I will let Thai immigration deal with it.

Btw, from your last sentence, I can only surmise that you are poor, yet a jolly good fellow with lots of warmth in your heart, and loads of fun to be around. Jeez, if only everyone could be just like you.

Have the required amount direct deposited to Bangkok Bank New York City........end of any money worries, I have been doing it for years.

Renewed my Retirement in Chiang Mai 3 weeks ago, in and out in 40 mins, no questions asked.........would have been 15 minutes if ya didnt have to run across the street to copy new Retirement for the Multiple Entry.

You can put 65,000 or 65 million in a USA Bank and u are going to be refused.

every day posts on same thing.

15 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

the Thai gov't is the one setting the bar for what it takes to retire in Thailand. It's either seasoning 800K in the bank, or legit proof of 65K coming in each month from a foreign source. It's not rocket science.

Since 2000, I, and many others don't do none of these 2, nevertheless we get yearly our extension.

So far.

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Since 2000, I, and many others don't do none of these 2, nevertheless we get yearly our extension.

So far.

Good for you. Seems a bit sketchy, but please don't complain when the party is over.

31 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Signed when it was less than a 100.. and yet its a paltry 2xxx signatures !! 

Wake me up when these have any effect tho.. 

Fact is Thailand always is like this, immigration, land offices, amphurs, DMVs, etc etc etc.. The only consistency is the inconsistency. 

I would sign it if it did not give the Thai government a list of troublemakers to consider visiting or deporting.

Archived