Jomtien marriage extension, monthly income method: patchy deposits

I am a 38-year-old British male married to my Thai wife living here in the Pattaya area. I am preparing for my third extension of stay based on marriage, and have always used the letter from the UK embassy to certify my income from abroad. I regularly send myself money via TransferWise from my UK bank account. I am familiar with the issues regarding the FTT coding and the apparent lottery as to whether incoming transactions are coded correctly, and I am dealing with that separately, but I have a different question/problem.

Today I received a statement from my Bank (BBL) and it showed all the transactions sent from the UK since July 2018.

image.png.d8d061692d00aa23d376ac4208696b7f.png

My questions are as follows…

1.) There are gaps for January 2019 and April 2019. My plan all along has been to argue that December's payments also covered January, and March's payment covered April, were an IO to scrutinise this. Is there leeway for "spreading" these payments, or do these gaps constitute grounds for rejection?

2.) July 2019 does not contain a single transaction from abroad of over B40k, however, there are two separate transactions totalling much more than that. Could they also reject this as a discrepancy, too?

The total from August 2018 to July 2019 is B879,038.39. The minimum requirement would work out at B480,000 over the calendar year prior to application for a new extension. I have made a massive elementary mistake in applying logic to this and thinking that I could easily demonstrate ample finances from abroad to support my wife and I over the course of the year. I was also buoyed by threads and news items I read from Thai immigration stating that they would go easy on us this year given the uncertainty caused over the sudden change of rules for proof of income.

Last week I went to Jomtien and asked them specifically about this. The lady right at the back who usually deals with these extensions was there and responded to my questions. She was very unclear. When I tried to pin her down on specifics she kept on repeating bland, general answers. She got up and asked her boss for assistance at one point. She also kept on stating I required "guarantee from bank"; I presume she was referring to the cover letter to the statements from the bank confirming all transactions came from abroad.

Any actual experiences or genuine reports from others (linked) would be much appreciated. Especially from Jomtien.

Not sure what Jomtien will accept.

Your list of transfers is a little hard to follow since they are not in a monthly order. Or is the first few that show 2019 really 2018.

The 2 transfers under 40k baht for this year might be a problem unless they follow the written rules and allow the average for a year.

The missing months may be the biggest problem. 

All you can do is try. In the worst case you may have to go out for a single entry non-o visa and apply using the first extension rule that allows for only a 1 or 2 transfers to be shown.

• Like 1

The first few entries should indeed be 2018. Thank you for spotting this.

The gaps are also intended to highlight that for January and April 2019 there were no inward transactions.

I am unfamiliar with "the first extension rule that allows for only 1 or 2 transfers to be shown". I am guessing that first-time extenders would only have the B400k route if they did not have years of living here to draw evidence from in terms of monthly income from abroad. So does that mean if you get a single-entry and immediately start doing the B40k minimum per month and apply for a year-long extension in the last 30 days of that 90-day visa that they would consider that evidence of foreign income for a limited time frame?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

What is a personal income tax letter with a payment slip?

That is for when a person is working here with a work permit. That is how the 40k baht income is proved.

I just received the following information by email from someone just renewing their retirement extension at Jomtien:

Retiree Visa Renewal

Hello,

I just renewed using the B65,000 / month method.  I only had four months of direct deposits into my Bangkok Bank account (commencing in April). I gave them:  copies of bank books, copy of letter from the bank and (this was new to me) a guarantee letter from the bank which reflected by open and current account status as of that day. I also provided them with an English language letter from my USA based source of income which attested to the fact that I was entitled to that income (amount included) for life.  That English language source letter seemed to be of interest and value and was examined at length.

Retiree Visa Renewal

Hello,

I just renewed using the B65,000 / month method.  I only had four months of direct deposits into my Bangkok Bank account (commencing in April). I gave them:  copies of bank books, copy of letter from the bank and (this was new to me) a guarantee letter from the bank which reflected by open and current account status as of that day. I also provided them with an English language letter from my USA based source of income which attested to the fact that I was entitled to that income (amount included) for life.  That English language source letter seemed to be of interest and value and was examined at length.

It appears Jomtien may be lenient this year as recommended by Immigration HQ.  You will need a letter from Bangkok Bank listing all of the foreign source deposits to your account for the period -- I renewed my retirement extension in June - although I had Bangkok Bank certified "statements" showing all transaction for the preceding 12 months & a bank letter verifying the account (same letter as required for those using 800k (or 400k if based on marriage)), I still had to get a specific letter listing the deposits (IMO they don't want to wade through all the transactions in certified "statements" to identify foreign deposits).

Start 30 days before your renewal date to give yourself time in case of hitches.  As mentioned, if they will not accept your documentation, you can leave, get a Non-O Visa, return and extend it as a "new" application OR from reports I have rec'd - pay an agent, who seem to never have a problem getting an extension for their customers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Manchesterlalala -- did you also have a document from your pension source showing amount of monthly pension?  I had one when I applied in June.  I have rec'd some reports from folks that didn't have a full year of monthly deposits, but said their extensions were renewed at Pattaya Immigration, but noted that they did have such a source document.