Do Thai Kids Have No Respect For Foreign Teachers?

Hey y'all, whats crackin.

I was down at Kata beach last night having a few drinks as usual when a youngish guy came and sat on the stool beside me. He must have been early to mid 30s and he was from New York. He looked a bit down so I offered to buy him a drink to cheer him up. After a while I asked him what was he doing here. He told me he was an English teacher at one of the local schools. Upon asking him how it was the flood gates opened. To cut a long story short he basically told me he hated his job, and that the thai kids and teachers  alike didn't respect him (according to him, Thai kids are brought up from a young age not to respect any foreigners). I wasn't sure myself of the truth of this as I have never taught english in my life so I thought I would put the question to TV. He also said that the only way he can control his class is by asking one of the thai teachers to come inside the classroom, brandishing the cane. At that point they all behave like well trained dogs.

So, my question is, Are Thai kids brought up to disrespect foreigners from a young age? It would explain a lot if it was true with the current attitudes of many locals towards us at the minute. Any input from current/former teachers would probably be beneficial.

9 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

He also said that the only way he can control his class is by asking one of the thai teachers to come inside the classroom, brandishing the cane. At that point they all behave like well trained dogs.

standard procedure for them......sure they learn from young age to hate foreigners and carry the hate over until they become IMO's

Respect is earned wherever you go and whatever you do. If he commands respect in his classroom and treats his students fairly, than he will be successful as a teacher providing he can back that up with knowledge and the ability to share it. Having a degree does not a teacher make and neither does the ability to speak English. He was probably employed to teach the students to use the English, that the Thai  teacher supposedly taught them, in basic conversation.

25 minutes ago, champers said:

Yo dude. So how many free drinks did this scrounger cadge off you?

I bought him 1 small beer and he bought me one back later, so no cadging happened.

He seemed like a genuine guy to be fair, looked well dressed, good manners etc. 

21 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

standard procedure for them......sure they learn from young age to hate foreigners and carry the hate over until they become IMO's

That's what I was thinking too. Then when they get in positions of power they abuse it. I'm sure not every thai person thinks this way but maybe 80-90% of the classroom perhaps?

Back in the good old days, travelling to Thailand to teach English was a great thing to do on a gap year for young westerners, but a terrible idea for a long term plan. It was a good way to extend your travels, soak up some culture and get some work experience as well.

Nowadays, I can't help but think that the people who are slumming it in Thailand on less than a McDonalds wage back home are doing it because they've failed at everything else. Either that or they've met a stunning little brown thing that has taken control of the ATM card.

My experience...the young Thai girls are more respectful than young Thai boys.  

The boys, spoiled and privileged...disrespectful and impolite in speech and deed...

I personally believe the impolite children are only reacting to what they have heard from family, friends, and neighbors...????

My wife has two sons from her previous marriage when she was very young. One is highly intelligent, respectful and recently went off to live in the local wat and studies pretty much all day. You couldn't ask for a better son. The other, however, is a walking disaster zone. He lies, cheats, and steals anything he can get his hands on, has no respect for anybody, and has been told to bugger off by the family many times. If he was my son I would have beaten the living shit out of him. I've seen my wife cry so many times over things that he has done, but as a farang in Thailand I can't even give advice on the matter. My wife is hoping he gets picked up by the police and taken to prison, hence problem solved.

Both boys treated me with respect because I did the same to them, I suspect it is the same with a teacher. Nationality was never an issue. Crying racism because you can't control a classroom is not the way forward.

19 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Back in the good old days, travelling to Thailand to teach English was a great thing to do on a gap year for young westerners, but a terrible idea for a long term plan. It was a good way to extend your travels, soak up some culture and get some work experience as well.

Nowadays, I can't help but think that the people who are slumming it in Thailand on less than a McDonalds wage back home are doing it because they've failed at everything else. Either that or they've met a stunning little brown thing that has taken control of the ATM card.

working here is simply the lesser of two evils

1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

(according to him, Thai kids are brought up from a young age not to respect any foreigners)

Plenty of problems and sources of frustration for foreign teachers in Thai classrooms, that's for sure, but my respect for your source went down the toilet when I read the above ridiculous claim.

17 minutes ago, SteveK said:

What a pile of crap!

I left the UK after selling my business and apartment for a handsome profit. I still have the profits from that in a Thai bank and I came here 15 years ago.

Starting teaching out of sheer boredom after partying it up for 4 years. I save 36-38,000 baht from my salary each month after paying my outgoings. I have a home and a truck that are paid for and a bike for myself, the wife and the stepson. All paid for. 

If I went back to the UK tomorrow, I could start a business and be successful almost immediately. It is a skill I have always had. However, money is not my driving factor and so I am happy enough here.

Also have a property in the UK that will be sold as a retirement fund. Not successful - I don't think you are even close there. ????

3 minutes ago, thequietman said:

What a pile of crap!

I left the UK after selling my business and apartment for a handsome profit. I still have the profits from that in a Thai bank and I came here 15 years ago.

Starting teaching out of sheer boredom after partying it up for 4 years. I save 36-38,000 baht from my salary each month after paying my outgoings. I have a home and a truck that are paid for and a bike for myself, the wife and the stepson. All paid for. 

If I went back to the UK tomorrow, I could start a business and be successful almost immediately. It is a skill I have always had. However, money is not my driving factor and so I am happy enough here.

Also have a property in the UK that will be sold as a retirement fund. Not successful - I don't think you are even close there. ????

With respect, you are not at all part of the normal demographic of farang teachers in Thailand. Good for you though, sounds like a dream situation which 95% of English teachers could never even hope for. You were clearly successful before coming to Thailand, and made the most of that after moving to Thailand, kudos.

1 hour ago, wisperone said:

My suggestion to him would be to go to Vietnam to teach.  They have a propensity to learn English there as they realize the importance to be competitive entails learning English. The pay is also much better in Vietnam.

Be warned - Vietnamese are OCD when it comes to money matters (and the traffic is much worse). Chances are, you will be suckered, lied to and ripped off. Thailand is the more relaxed place. 

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The boys, spoiled and privileged...disrespectful and impolite in speech and deed...

I personally believe the impolite children are only reacting to what they have heard from family, friends, and neighbors...????

and television and teachers.

All children learn from everything around them, all the time.

what they learn, and who they learn from creates the adults they become.

26 minutes ago, BurgerGung said:

Be warned - Vietnamese are OCD when it comes to money matters (and the traffic is much worse). Chances are, you will be suckered, lied to and ripped off. Thailand is the more relaxed place. 

I can also vouch for this. Having worked for a VN company for a year back in 2010 I can safely say they are lying cheating scum! Definitely not to be trusted when it comes to payday.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Not where I live in rural Khampaeng Phet.

...Well... the insights and stories all reflect that respect must be earned...true to a points.  Generally, this is an operating policy.  However depending on the grade level starting in Matayom to College, ADM policies are too lack. Discipline is a "do not touch because it is a bother",...some long for the days that Thai teachers, enforced this with the bamboo.. borderline  ...  

In some schools, the Cell phone policy contributes to this disrespect as ADM refuses to establish common sense policies. The students are on their phone texting and whatnot during the lecture (For some A Thai policy, if they are not bother the class, then no issue).   Another factor of course is the lack of understanding of English instructions and just boredom. Next, especially for Freshman, it is the transition from high school to college issues...too much basic responsibilities neglected, for example attending class, having the course book and taking notes or attempting to take responsibility for learning or self-directed learning or group work projects....then of course it is the dynamics of those students asserting their misguided privileged selves in class.

In my experience, I have seen university students disrespect/ignore Thai instructors about the same way.  Thus I do not agree that Thai students are taught to disrespect Western Teachers in general.  It is the "it all depends", mun lao ta...  However, I do see more western instructors enforce discipline policies only for the academic committees to issue, the excuse:  you have to understand Thai culture, and......

Western teachers, should have some history about Thai culture to allow them to understand their students, next they need engage a proper warm up and activities that reach about 60% of the class, a considered success rate.  Lastly, thicker skin when the students test them and to deal with the issues appropriately and quickly.

Then for new teachers, the school systems need to shadow the extremely NEW teacher with a Thai teaching buddy. At least the new teacher will have an ear for a little bit.  Also a check of how new teaching methods are used in the class.  To enhance or work with the cell phone abuse the KAHOOTS application proved a lifesaver, as it positively changed the dynamics, when used appropriately.

Teaching, is a mix of art, skill, and constant adjustment...it does get OLD being a motivation coach as well as assuming the other changing roles of a teacher, educator, and English teacher...

Appreciate those courses and students that are motivated and have good English skills and study skills.   All part of the training...

Most of my students learn english from a young age and can converse well (EP program). I've found over the years that my students do generally respect and like their foreign teachers, but one needs to gain their respect, mainly throungh good class manangement and engaging lessons. Yes, many students do actually appreciate structure to their learning, and not just 'fun and games' ann the time. I've also learned that the respect they show for Thai teachers is ecpected. Upon talking to students, it's obvious they do not respect nor particularly like some of their Thai teachers. Many of them actually prefer to learn with their foreign teachers. This situation won't apply to all schools, especially where english is only taught once or twice a week and is seen as unnecessary and a waste of time by many students. 

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, he just has no classroom management skills.

Kids will eat you alive anywhere in the world if you show weakness.

I tend to agree.  

I spent maybe 15 years actively teaching in the classrooms.   My last position was administrative, so much less teaching, but I did fill in when needed.   In my over 20+ years of teaching, I only ran into one student who openly stated that he did not like Farang teachers and he didn't like learning English.   By the end of the year, I don't know if he had changed his attitude toward Farang, but he had turned into a decent, reasonably well behaved student.

Students are pretty much the same everywhere.   Other than the above student, none ever seemed to be more or less respectful to me than to my Thai counterparts.   My counterparts spoke not only the language the student understood, but the cultural innuendos, which made it a little easier for them.  

Girls are generally easier to deal with in the classroom than boys, but that's pretty much the case worldwide.  

11 hours ago, thequietman said:

What a pile of crap!

I came with 20,000 baht to  my name....have a 6M baht house (actually the wife's lol), 2 cars and a son in private school. It's not difficult. It does help to have a wife who earn as well and is as thrifty as I am ???? She's MY atm actually lol

After teaching English at various government schools for about 4 or 5 years I gave up on TEFL teaching.  It is almost impossible to teach English effectively in Thai government schools.  

There are various reasons why teaching in Thailand is difficult, though I would put actual lack of respect for all foreign teachers fairly low on the list.  More importantly are things like class size, lack of proper teacher training (the TEFL course I took was a joke), lack of proper assessment, lack of motivation (on the part of the students) and the fact that most students will only see their English teacher once or twice a week.

For the past 12 years I have taught Science at an EP school, where the students have both Thai and Foreign teachers from the 1st grade on.  The students understand every, or almost every word I say, and obey me just as they would a Thai teacher.  The largest class I teach has fewer than 20 students and they know that I give real grades, real homework and real tests, so they pay attention and do their best. 

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:
13 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

So, my question is, Are Thai kids brought up to disrespect foreigners from a young age?

Nah, he just has no classroom management skills.

Kids will eat you alive anywhere in the world if you show weakness.

Too simplistic an answer, even for someone with no knowledge whatsoever.

As for showing toughness ... hah .... Two teachers I know out in Nakhon Nowhere, who previously taught in SA, Taiwan and Korea would tell you they have the damm time because you cannot even toss them out. IE there is no department head or supervisor. You are basically on your own and will not be supported by the higher ups if kids cause trouble and you want them removed from class, or, gasp, do it yourself. Kids know this and  if they get their parents to complain higher ups will side with them against the teacher. Can't touch the students even to remove them from class. One guy say it has been getting worse, and will pull retirment this year.

These are not some  tefl packers, working stiff sasanak/antipodean, here because of a bar girl. They have uni degrees, teacher degree, masters in TEFL, who are back in Thailand after working decades OS.  BTW Who knows what the teacher actually said as we are getting it second hand from the OP.

As for the peanut gallery ... it may be early but I hear the leo calling.

Archived