Do Thai Kids Have No Respect For Foreign Teachers?

I could not blame them for disrespecting joke teachers, unqualified white faces who are just here to prolong their nightlife interests, Thai kids are not stupid. The youngsters at private Schools like Patana of course with REAL teachers have a lot of respect for the foreign staff. Respect needs to be earned, too many so called teachers in governments Schools don't deserve much. Why are they here on 30k a month if they are qualified and could be earning so much more at home?

13 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

My experience...the young Thai girls are more respectful than young Thai boys.  

The boys, spoiled and privileged...disrespectful and impolite in speech and deed...

I personally believe the impolite children are only reacting to what they have heard from family, friends, and neighbors...????

I agree with this 100%. In my experiences I found and believe that to be true. Not all the boys though.

Regarding the OP. Some schools are a circus for foreign teachers (especially new FTs) and depending on the tier of the school and how much they take their English studies seriously (555), you may either get support/improvements or an eventual dreadful job. That guy you talked to on the beach, has legitimate gripes.

If I was him I would leave and find a school that works for me and comfortable for me! Yes me! Good food too!

I choose not to use the overused cliche "respect is earned.." TIT.

Started reading this thread with sandals, moved to tennis shoes, then high top boots, and finished with waders...the verbiage attacking the teacher is disturbing.

Coddling and protecting Thai children from the consequences of their bad behavior does not change this flaw in Thai culture...

Yes, I know...bring on the Thai apologists!   ????

14 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I was down at Kata beach last night having a few drinks as usual

You still here?

I thought you were "outta here"?

(according to him, Thai kids are brought up from a young age not to respect any foreigners)

Absolute rubbish.

so I thought I would put the question to TV.

Not the greatest place to get a neutral, non racist, non xenophobic, intelligent answer.

See below;

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

standard procedure for them......sure they learn from young age to hate foreigners and carry the hate over until they become IMO's

For the Love of God!

See what i mean?

Cretins and morons.

13 hours ago, SteveK said:

My wife has two sons from her previous marriage when she was very young. One is highly intelligent, respectful and recently went off to live in the local wat and studies pretty much all day. You couldn't ask for a better son. The other, however, is a walking disaster zone. He lies, cheats, and steals anything he can get his hands on, has no respect for anybody, and has been told to bugger off by the family many times. If he was my son I would have beaten the living shit out of him. I've seen my wife cry so many times over things that he has done, but as a farang in Thailand I can't even give advice on the matter. My wife is hoping he gets picked up by the police and taken to prison, hence problem solved.

Both boys treated me with respect because I did the same to them, I suspect it is the same with a teacher. Nationality was never an issue. Crying racism because you can't control a classroom is not the way forward.

'm sorry, but it's not as easy as you might think. My wife had a child when I met her. He'd just turned four, and we live together since then. It's been 17 years now and 15 at Thai schools. 

The truth is that most Thai teachers do not respect foreign teachers, call the "Farang" in front of the students, even if they know your name. Some make nasty jokes about foreigners to cover their lack of English speaking skills. 

Not many Thai teachers call foreigners "Khun Kru Dangchaat," or teacher XXXX. 

Our son had a massive fight at his former school when an older guy told him that his mom would be a barwoman who'd found her foreigner there. Our son hit him on his nose, and he went down. He then had to see the director and got lectured. 

My wife had never worked in a bar, unfortunately, are there many others who married a bargirl. Such relationships are mostly programmed to fail. Of course are there exceptions. 

I'm in my 15th year at a Thai school, and it's true. Thai kids, in general, do not respect foreign teachers.

If a foreign teacher at a high school takes his job too seriously and he/she's is too strict, the students write an evaluation and if too many dislike him/her- the contract might be not renewed. 

How could they respect foreigners, if their teachers don"t? In each class are perhaps four to five kids who want to learn, if you have lessons with more than 50 students in a class, you'll always reach your limit. 

Asking a Thai colleague to be in his class shows the superiours that he can't control his/her students and he'll soon be jobless.

You wrote that one of your wife's boys didn't give a flying kangaroo about anything, so how would this guy respect you? I don't buy that. Why would he recognize the guy who sleeps with his mom?  What do you do that makes them love you?

The only reason why he respects you somehow is that you give him some cash, pay for food and all his clothes.

Stop paying him, and you'll see how much he likes you. 

Criticizing somebody who's got problems to control a class isn't the best possible move when you don't know much about the situation for foreigners at Thai schools.

I'm surprised by the many posts suggesting

• "respect is earned" and 
  • "give respect to get respect"

Surely nobody really believes that, right? In Asia especially, respect is mandated on a bunch of things such as relative age and perceived importance.

Many expats and tourists believe that Thais generally (not all of them but enough to notice) do not really like foreigners. Prominent Thais have also written about and discussed this xenophobia.

So, the chances are that it would be far more difficult for a Farang to get the respect of a Thai classroom - no matter how good or respectful he or she is.

Reported post and response removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

In my experience, the notion that Thai boys and adolescents are "spoiled and privileged" is TVF mythology. While it is true that most Thai parents are not especially heavy-handed disciplinarians, the idea that young Thai men are waited on hand and foot by their parents, coddled, or otherwise instilled with the idea that they are more deserving or entitled than their female siblings simply isn't generally true. If anything, many Thai males in public primary and secondary schools suffer from poor academic self-esteem and self-confidence, which is but one of the reasons I have long thought that a single-sex classroom program post third grade might benefit Thailand's educational system.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, Gecko123 said:

In my experience, the notion that Thai boys and adolescents are "spoiled and privileged" is TVF mythology. While it is true that most Thai parents are not especially heavy-handed disciplinarians, the idea that young Thai men are waited on hand and foot by their parents, coddled, or otherwise instilled with the idea that they are more deserving or entitled than their female siblings simply isn't generally true. If anything, many Thai males in public primary and secondary schools suffer from poor academic self-esteem and self-confidence, which is but one of the reasons I have long thought that a single-sex classroom program post third grade might benefit Thailand's educational system.

Imperfect academic self- esteem is the result of their education; please have a look at their teachers. ( Low self esteem)

Unfortunately, did they go to the same brainwashing institutions were marching and copying homework, usually material that they didn't teach in school hours seems to be more important than English learning? 

I'm just wondering why Thai teachers are doing a much better job when they teach 50 students privately and at school by using taxpayers' facilities to make a lot of cash, where each student pays at least 100 baht/an hour.

18 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Imperfect academic self- esteem is the result of their education; please have a look at their teachers. ( Low self esteem)

Unfortunately, did they go to the same brainwashing institutions were marching and copying homework, usually material that they didn't teach in school hours seems to be more important than English learning? 

I'm just wondering why Thai teachers are doing a much better job when they teach 50 students privately and at school by using taxpayers' facilities to make a lot of cash, where each student pays at least 100 baht/an hour.

If you have been charged 100 baht per hour for your child to study an extra class you have been ripped off.

The general fees are usually in the region of half that. 400 baht a month for 2 hours a week.

My kids do private 'extra classes' at the week-ends. Cost 250 Baht per child for 4 hours. My missus seems to think it is doing good but I have my doubts. No getting through to Thais. They think that by throwing money at things gets results.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now into my second year teaching here in Thailand, and nearly three years traveling to teach overall. I realize I'm still a novice compared to many, but I figure I'll go ahead and throw my two cents in anyway.

Many seem to have a rather poor opinion of teaching in Thailand, per the negativity in this thread, echoing the sentiments I've heard elsewhere. It's for losers, it's a waste of time, etc. Thus, I'd like to offer there is still value in teaching here, and success has been found by the teachers I've met here. Among my current and former colleagues, two have been at this for six years, two others for three years, and I just met a Canadian at immigration who's done it for 15, now spending the rest of his days here retired. All of them have mentioned they found it worthwhile in one way or another, some putting in more effort, or being more involved than others.

It's certainly not for everyone. You've got to have patience, and as many have said on this site, you've got to have an exit strategy. Even if you can hack it, this is a country that certainly doesn't want us here long term. My plan is ten years at the most, depending on my mom's health. Maintain those family ties, guys. I know of a nearby school where two foreign teachers decided they couldn't do it after trying for a few days, then were stuck in a hard place, not knowing what else to do in this foreign country, and unable to easily get back home. I can confirm that out of the average classroom of about 40 students, maybe five or six manage to be engaged. As for the rest, you do what you can.

Why's it so difficult teaching here? My colleagues have said it's due to a lack of discipline, beginning in elementary school then continuing onward. There are just too many students to deal with, and especially with long time Thai teachers who enjoy solid job security, it's learned to get away with doing the bare minimum. There's also the face saving they must maintain, not wanting to be seen as the bad guy among students and peers, nor upset any parents who turn out to be connected. Thus students don't expect much consequence to bad behavior or grades, and even less from farang teachers they know aren't allowed to discipline at all. They know the grades farangs give account for a small percentage of their total, and many times the exams we give are just for show. Think of the substitute teachers you had in elementary school, who weren't taken very seriously and made the butt of jokes. That's who we are here, to a large extent.

Regardless, we farangs are here for a reason, and generally speaking, it's not because things were so wonderful back home, something I've heard from colleagues and other expats at the local watering holes. As all those who've migrated throughout history, we had been looking for a change, and one typically seeks that when things weren't going well in whatever their situation was. We all sought some escape from crappy jobs, bad relationships, and limited opportunities. I will say that despite the cons of living here, the low pay, difficult working conditions, outsider status, language barrier, ridiculous bureaucracy in regards to employment and immigration, I still find they are outweighed by the pros.

Though low, relatively speaking, the pay is steady and it more than covers my expenses. The rent is easily covered, and I finally have my own nice apartment, which I hadn't in years back home. I was able to buy a motorbike, I have a short commute each day, and the work is relatively easy. Aside from the teaching itself, which can be trying at times, there are no office politics, no trying to scratch backs to climb the ladder, no picking sides. Just sit at your desk, do your job, and watch the Thais get into it, it's not your concern. The pay is enough to afford me evening outings, weekend trips, and traveling on school holidays. And finally, I've had a wonderful girlfriend during most of this time, who has been of invaluable assistance and made the whole experience much more worthwhile.

In regards to choosing a woman, an area where there are no issues with availability here, I'll offer this. If you're a young guy, give the older single ladies who no longer gain the interest of Thai men a try. If you're older like me, stick to someone your own age. Go for someone with whom you can communicate, with the least amount of language issues. And most of all, go for someone modest and humble. Stay away from the stunners, who are invariably looking to leverage their assets.

It's sad to say that this and life's other necessities have become extremely difficult if not impossible to get back home. I won't get into the dating scene, it goes without saying. With jobs, unless you're connected, your resume's most likely being "circular filed". With housing, my friends back in California keep telling me how much worse it's getting each day. Unless you're loaded, you're stuck with a hole in the wall, or sharing one with several people, or commuting 2-3 hours to stay somewhere affordable. You're living paycheck to paycheck, barely making the rent, unable to afford much in your downtime. That's why so many go straight home after work, to TV or video games, and why shopping malls and entertainment venues are dying.

Many foreigners who've had experience with or witnessed teaching in Thailand often have made the same comments, ranging from "It's not really teaching, you're a babysitter or entertainer, you can't take it too seriously" to "teaching here's a complete joke, the system needs an overhaul". It certainly is whatever you make of it. The teachers here are granted a wide range of latitude, and if you want to make a joke of it you certainly can, like the 20-somethings who show up still drunk from the night before, play Hangman for 20 minutes, then go home to sleep it off and get back on Tinder for their next adventure. On the other hand, if you show up wanting to be the authoritarian who gets everyone's attention and expects to whip some slackers into shape, you're not going to have much luck. The best approach lies somewhere between, someone willing to make just enough of a sincere effort. 

As with most things about Thailand, it's a culture that's been far removed from Western thinking, having resisted colonization and too much influence upon their own way of doing things. As such, it's often something we fail to grasp, or are able to use our frame of reference to compare against. "Respect is earned" is an attempt to apply a simplified, Western way of thinking to a complex situation, out of touch on multiple levels. It's analogous to saying "a look in the eye and a firm handshake" is all that's really needed to gain employment, something I've heard my grandparents tell my mom, now out of touch in my home country, let alone a foreign one, in very different times.

One important lesson this experience has taught me thus far, is the importance of having patience. Getting stressed is just a waste, I've found after the situation has passed. If you think someone's out to get you, stay on the safe side, and consider it a misunderstanding. Wait for the paperwork to go through, it'll eventually get done. Don't stress over "special projects" they're saddling you with. It's often just talk that doesn't go anywhere, or if anything is done, it ends being getting together with a poster for a photo op. Be calm, be polite, don't get involved in gossip, get through your lessons. Getting angry won't get you anywhere or make you many friends. Realize there are some you'll never get through to, both students and colleagues, so you've got to find those you can and get through to them. Hope that your efforts will be appreciated by some, and more will eventually follow. It's actually not much different than what I remember from my American high school experience, which also had far from ideal conditions and few good students. Getting through this has certainly tested me, but I like to think that I've grown from the experience.

I go home each day believing I've made some kind of difference, for at least some small percentage. There are small improvements I see in some of my students with each passing week, some creativity in what I see them produce, as opposed to copying the examples I give. It's particularly uplifting to run into my students around town and get recognition, with smiles, waves, and occasional small conversation. When my girlfriend is with me and talks to the parents, or introduces me to others and says I'm a teacher, there are smiles and nods of approval. Despite those here strictly for partying, and how futile at times it seems getting through to everyone, being a teacher here is still valued.

I believe this is because there are teachers here who still have some kind of conscience, who still feel obligated to their jobs and doing something for their students. There are some teachers who need to go home each day feeling they were able to get something accomplished, and have some positive effect. There are some who still want to believe this job finally means something, as opposed to all the crappy ones they left back home, wanting to give something back to people who at times can be difficult and confusing, but overall still warm and accommodating. Thus, you'll be able to find some teachers who still make that investment, and find some success.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:39 AM, Isaanbiker said:

I'm in my 15th year at a Thai school, and it's true. Thai kids, in general, do not respect foreign teachers.

If a foreign teacher at a high school takes his job too seriously and he/she's is too strict, the students write an evaluation and if too many dislike him/her- the contract might be not renewed. 

You are in the wrong school then. I don't experience this. One teacher I know is VERY strict, and will call parents in for meetings. Yet the students love him. Why?

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

You are in the wrong school then. I don't experience this. One teacher I know is VERY strict, and will call parents in for meetings. Yet the students love him. Why?

Student engagement and mutual respect.

Maybe it's the teacher who is not respectful enough? It can go both ways inside a class room. You need to understand the Thai culture before you teach here. 

On 7/31/2019 at 2:42 PM, thequietman said:

What a pile of <deleted>!

I left the UK after selling my business and apartment for a handsome profit. I still have the profits from that in a Thai bank and I came here 15 years ago.

Starting teaching out of sheer boredom after partying it up for 4 years. I save 36-38,000 baht from my salary each month after paying my outgoings. I have a home and a truck that are paid for and a bike for myself, the wife and the stepson. All paid for. 

If I went back to the UK tomorrow, I could start a business and be successful almost immediately. It is a skill I have always had. However, money is not my driving factor and so I am happy enough here.

Also have a property in the UK that will be sold as a retirement fund. Not successful - I don't think you are even close there. ????

Yes, that is also pretty much my story, thequietman. Just with the difference that I only partied for 2 years and only had 5 million baht with me. Recently, I finished a BA (and part of the master's) at a top 70 university, globally, and will be returning to Thailand to teach this coming April, so I guess I will be the hopeless loser SteveK is talking about :) 

On 8/1/2019 at 4:11 AM, Orton Rd said:

I could not blame them for disrespecting joke teachers, unqualified white faces who are just here to prolong their nightlife interests, Thai kids are not stupid. The youngsters at private Schools like Patana of course with REAL teachers have a lot of respect for the foreign staff. Respect needs to be earned, too many so called teachers in governments Schools don't deserve much. Why are they here on 30k a month if they are qualified and could be earning so much more at home?

There can be many reasons: Maybe they want the experience, maybe they have fallen in love with a girl, maybe they like the culture, the Thai people, maybe they like the warm weather, maybe they like they don't have to cook at home, maybe they love the food, maybe they love the rich night life in Bkk, etc., etc., etc. We also have to remember that living costs are much higher in the West, so comparably the difference between 35t/b in bkk and a poor grade school salary at home maybe isn't that big. Last, uni degrees in arts here in Denmark have zero economic potential, but in for example China (and to some degree TH, too) it can be "sold" for a lot of money (if you are white as well), the local living costs taken into consideration. 

So, many reason. Personally, I just finished a degree and just want to see how it is to teach in Thailand and maybe China. If it works out well, I think I will stay, but if not, I just return here to Denmark. So, now you know ????

Whatever the reason for them being here I see English teacher's several days a week coming and going to the language Schools in Bkk. I have never seen one looking happy ever, they all look miserable and depressed. Not something to be recommended by the look of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I teach at the University level (and periodically am asked to "sub" for an absent native speaking teacher at our associated Demonstration School).. Here's my take...

I think that the respect you, as the teacher will "get" (I personally prefer the term "earn") will be based in large part, by you, and how you act, speak, behave, dress, interact with your students ... yes, I DO think some of the respect will be very dependent on the student and there will be some (a small percentage in my experience) who are just plain disrespectful regardless of your (the teacher) actions and the like... So you can be picture perfect and some will just never take to you.. that's life and how it is..

But.. I do think that with some careful, purposeful planning on the teachers part, you can craft a personality and reputation that earns a very level of respect.  As to the Thai teachers... For me, when I started, I was the first foreigner in my department but our faculty has a few.. So I wasn't "new per se", but most of the senior instructional staff had limited day-to-day exposure to a foreign teacher..  How I positioned myself from day one was as a "resource" for the senior staff... in other-words I tried to align myself as someone who was here to help them and not compete with them.

Archived