Where is the rain?

hansgruber

It's been a very dry rainy/green/monsoon season. 

Went past the dam in Chalong to check it out and it's not even 30% full. The Kathu dam is about half.

Be prepared for a drought in this coming high season like we've never seen before. 

I've started work on a massive holding tank but I don't think it will rain enough to fill before November. 

I'm watering the garden in July. Unbelievable. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

think its all in KALASIN area

Issan is also experiencing a major drought. 

4 months to go before the official high season kicks off again.  last high season the Island ran out of water. Next one will be even worse. 

I agree. Looking like a severe drought unless we have torrential rain Sept and Oct which is statistically possible. Decades of PP water management and vast increase in buildings requiring water supply.

Yet no-one in power seems to seriously care. Phuket has plenty of rain, just needs collecting and distributing. 

Isaan is having a major drought? Last night it rained from about 9pm until 10am this morning, and when I say rain, it sounded like someone was hitting the roof of our house with mortars, it was incessant and I've never seen anything like it in my life, I genuinely thought the roof was going to collapse. Went to buy some vegetables this morning after the rain stopped, and all the paddy fields are overflowing. I had to drive through a puddle of water which in the end went up to my shorts to get to the market, and it nearly buggered up my bike.

27 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I agree. Looking like a severe drought unless we have torrential rain Sept and Oct which is statistically possible. Decades of PP water management and vast increase in buildings requiring water supply.

Yet no-one in power seems to seriously care. Phuket has plenty of rain, just needs collecting and distributing. 

I hope you're right otherwise ill be pumping the water out if the pool into my tanks if I run out of water again. 

Posts containing links to Bangkok Post have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Anecdotal evidence is really poor for this, actual rainfall and how much falls needs measurements to really be worthwhile. Light rain can fall for a couple of hours but be less than a tropical torrential 15 mins.. 

We were having a really dry start to wet season, scarily so, but the last 10 days has seen almost daily rainfall, with a few extended periods, but not much in the way of major torrential. Certainly while what we are getting now has saved the current rice crop, and its firmly shifted into green season, the damns are still at very low levels looking to next years dry season. 

14 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Rained heavy every night and raining and windy now in Sansai/Ban-Hong. Few days ago rained every day and night for 3 days.

How interesting. Is that close to Thabo near Phuket Airport?

4 hours ago, hansgruber said:

It looked like rain when I woke up but now it's sun and a little overcast but very windy. 

Not today. 

Very windy... that's the major issue for a number of reasons. 

First, the wind has been blowing from the South for many months, which is why the monsoon, coming from the West, is not reaching us in Eastern Isaan. 

Then, these massive gushes of wind are destructive, bringing down trees, roofs and so on. 

Finally, a strong wind makes the drought even worse, helping drying the ground much faster than it would do without it. 

Sometimes I wonder if the Earth has not shifted on its axis and if Isaan is not now where Cape Horn used to be. 

Isaan may soon be a major destination for kite and glider competitions... maybe sailing too, on a not yet dry lake... 

Here in Banglamung we have had rain twice in the last week ,the first time just after the wife washed the car and last night just after she watered the lawn . . now if anyone wants to hire her in their province to do either of these chores ,it guarantees rain .????

Same thing happens now and again over the years. They had a real dry year some years back also. It can, and does happen from time to time. What would REALLY be very strange would be if it NEVER ever happened. 

Thing is, most people either forget, or haven’t been in Thailand many years. 

The Chinese keep great records of their droughts and heavy rains and floods.  But many Chinese who haven’t studied the history see a drought year or two or see a big rain and a major river flood and think it never happened before. 555555

Welcome to planet Earth. 

It really depends where in Isaan one lives. Plenty of rain in the Bueng Kan district. Perhaps the closer one is to the Lao mountain ranges the more chance you have to fet good rain. Down towards KK is indeed very dry.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:19 PM, hansgruber said:

Went past the dam in Chalong to check it out and it's not even 30% full. The Kathu dam is about half.

Here outside Udon my local reservoir is 30% full, last couple of years been near full this time of year, but - you only have to look back 5/6 years to see conditions were about the same as this year, not the end of the world!

Please mods close this. Not sure why it's become an issan thread but the lack of moderation for things like this is ruining the forum. Your happy to catch links to non affiliated news sources but won't clean off topic posts. 

Please close. 

I enjoyed getting a countrywide view of the rain situation. 

In Phuket (Rawai) it's been very dry apart from a few days of rain some weeks ago. I think we're in for a bad time next high season if we don't get a lot more rain in the next two months. 

3 hours ago, Tapster said:

I enjoyed getting a countrywide view of the rain situation. 

There are general forums for overall discussion.

Local forums are for specifics related to an individual area. Relevant, shared information on some matters can be quite important for some people. The likely water crises we're facing in Phuket over the dry season will affect some people's businesses and lifestyles.

It doesn't need to be overwhelmed by dross from every paddyfield Nigel around the country who had a thunderstorm overhead recently.  

Archived