Bruce Lee’s daughter says he was portrayed as an ‘arrogant a***hole’ in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

snoop1130

Bruce Lee’s daughter says he was portrayed as an ‘arrogant a***hole’ in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

By Ekin Karasin

GettyImages-159816248.jpg

Bruce Lee’s daughter is upset with his portrayal in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Picture: Getty)

Bruce Lee’s daughter has claimed the action star was portrayed as an ‘arrogant a***hole’ in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Shannon Lee said it was ‘disheartening’ to see Bruce, who died in 1973, be turned into a ‘mockery’ in Quentin Tarantino’s latest film.

She added that the showdown between Brad Pitt’s stuntman character Cliff Booth and Bruce (Mike Moh) made her feel uncomfortable.

In the scene, Cliff and Bruce trade cocky insults and agree to a fight on the set of The Green Hornet TV show.

Full Story: https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/31/bruce-lees-daughter-says-portrayed-arrogant-ahole-upon-time-hollywood-10491572/

Considering the fact that Tarantino is supposedly a guy who worships Lee, this is a strange turn of events. Perhaps he bowed down to the studios on this one? They still do not get it. Asia sells. You no longer have to portray Asians as dumb, illiterate, and arrogant, to sell a movie. Bad writing? Loss of control? Just dumb ideas? Lee was not an arrogant ass from what I have read about him. This was not only a mistake, to disparage a legendary figure, it was just dumb and dumber. I would have expected this from Hollywood, but not necessarily from Tarantino. 

Maybe the movie was made without Chinese money? Many movies have Chinese money participation and therefore create their art slanted in such a way as to satisfy both the monied interests and the Asian movie market.

Heard about this and thought it was mind boggling that Tarantino could be this desperate to cut Lee down to bring himself up. Hate to be petty but we will not be patronizing this film . Cheap shots at tragically dead people  to sell  movie tickets?  Just how low can you get ?....

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:54 AM, Seth1a2a said:

Heard about this and thought it was mind boggling that Tarantino could be this desperate to cut Lee down to bring himself up. Hate to be petty but we will not be patronizing this film . Cheap shots at tragically dead people  to sell  movie tickets?  Just how low can you get ?....

Tarantino wasn't in the scene, so how could he be bringing himself up? Brad Pitt was the winner.

Also, I doubt anyone will go to see it based on that one scene. The rest of the movie is classic Tarantino, like his style or hate it.

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tarantino wasn't in the scene, so how could he be bringing himself up? Brad Pitt was the winner.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood   was written , directed by and partially produced by Quentin Tarantino

Box office‎: ‎$310.6 million .    

Tarantino wrote and directed the fictitious scene in this movie for the purpose of improving the financial success of the movie that he would also receive acclaim and  financial reward for.

Is this something that you are unaware of ? 

Did you really think the character played by Brad Pitt was real ? It never happened. Nor did Bruce Lee ever make any negative statements against Muhammad Ali. It never happened . Brad Pitt was acting in the part of a person who never existed.  Bruce Lee was an actual person being portrayed as an a$$hole by the actor in that scene written by and directed by Tarantino..... Are you really confusing this movie with reality ?.......What did Brad Pitt win ?????  It never happened to begin with with.

Do you understand the meaning of the word exploitation ?  Would it have been funny if it was a fabricated fight scene between a fake person and President Robert F. Kennedy or mother Teresa ?

I'm in my mid 60s now but a few years ago I was attacked in Los Angeles by 2 assailants in their 30s. If it were not for Jeet Kune Do training created by Bruce Lee , I don't believe the outcome would have ended in my favor as it did.  Yes , I am taking this personally.

My Avatar photo is that of the actor James Coburn who just happened to be a student of Bruce Lee as well as one of the Pallbearers at the funeral of Bruce Lee along with Steve McQueen.  Bruce Lee was a highly respected individual who died because of a tragic combination of events. His son also died tragically.  The fabricated scene in the movie (it never happened in reality ) is a demeaning insult to his memory and to the worldwide achievements he made as an individual.   

Further comments from his daughter

"When sharing her criticism of her father's portrayal Shannon pointed out what she felt was a missed opportunity by Tarantino. "Given how sympathetic Tarantino's portrayal of Steve McQueen, Jay Sebring, and Sharon Tate is, I'm surprised he didn't afford the same courtesy to Lee, the only non-white character in the film," she told The Wrap earlier this month. "He could have achieved the same effect -- using Bruce to make Brad Pitt's character look tough -- without the mockery

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, Seth1a2a said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood   was written , directed by and partially produced by Quentin Tarantino

Box office‎: ‎$310.6 million .    

Tarantino wrote and directed the fictitious scene in this movie for the purpose of improving the financial success of the movie that he would also receive acclaim and  financial reward for.

Is this something that you are unaware of ? 

Did you really think the character played by Brad Pitt was real ? It never happened. Nor did Bruce Lee ever make any negative statements against Muhammad Ali. It never happened . Brad Pitt was acting in the part of a person who never existed.  Bruce Lee was an actual person being portrayed as an a$$hole by the actor in that scene written by and directed by Tarantino..... Are you really confusing this movie with reality ?.......What did Brad Pitt win ?????  It never happened to begin with with.

Do you understand the meaning of the word exploitation ?  Would it have been funny if it was a fabricated fight scene between a fake person and President Robert F. Kennedy or mother Teresa ?

I'm in my mid 60s now but a few years ago I was attacked in Los Angeles by 2 assailants in their 30s. If it were not for Jeet Kune Do training created by Bruce Lee , I don't believe the outcome would have ended in my favor as it did.  Yes , I am taking this personally.

My Avatar photo is that of the actor James Coburn who just happened to be a student of Bruce Lee as well as one of the Pallbearers at the funeral of Bruce Lee along with Steve McQueen.  Bruce Lee was a highly respected individual who died because of a tragic combination of events. His son also died tragically.  The fabricated scene in the movie (it never happened in reality ) is a demeaning insult to his memory and to the worldwide achievements he made as an individual.   

Further comments from his daughter

"When sharing her criticism of her father's portrayal Shannon pointed out what she felt was a missed opportunity by Tarantino. "Given how sympathetic Tarantino's portrayal of Steve McQueen, Jay Sebring, and Sharon Tate is, I'm surprised he didn't afford the same courtesy to Lee, the only non-white character in the film," she told The Wrap earlier this month. "He could have achieved the same effect -- using Bruce to make Brad Pitt's character look tough -- without the mockery

I appreciate everything you wrote, but I never even knew about that scene till I read about it here, and I certainly didn't go to see the film because of it. I went because it was a Tarantino film.

I doubt anyone went to see that scene.

It's a shame that Tarantino had to be an ass about Lee, and it was unnecessary, but for all you and I know, he may have had a bad experience with Lee or Asians in reality and was getting revenge.

I doubt it was because of racism. Tarantino has had black leading characters before.

Archived