Has anyone been to Dukes recently?

vagabond48

25 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

You might avoid the Ping river branch as they have limited their menu of western foods to about 3 or 4 selections, and now primarily have only Thai dishes.  Went over the other Duke's and had a combo pizza today.  Delicious.

Nonsense! Clearly you were in the wrong place.????

Yes, Duke's is great.  The main thing that remains puzzling is the lighting.  It used to be so dark you could barely make out the food.  Now it seems the light bulbs have an extra couple of watts but it's direct light and a bit harsh.  It would look so much better with a little attention paid to lighting design. 

And the portions are still huge.  We finally know how to deal with that, for a family of four you order one soup, one salad and one main dish. ????

11 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

You might avoid the Ping river branch as they have limited their menu of western foods to about 3 or 4 selections, and now primarily have only Thai dishes.  Went over the other Duke's and had a combo pizza today.  Delicious.

We were there just last night... They have the same menu they have had for the last 10 years... NO Thai food on the menu at all (where did you get that??)... We had our usual salad and pizza fix - It was great as usual... 

The OP can go to their website and check out the menu which also shows the prices...

Sorry for the incorrect "name" of the restaurant with the new limited menu.  It was the Dukes affiliated River Market restaurant.

My friend and I first went there cuz the view is serene while dining, but when the waitress confirmed the menu change, she recommended we could leave our car in the parking lot and walk across the river to the main Dukes.

We drove over.

Been a huge fan of the DUKE'S at Maya. I love their early bird specials only 205 Baht and they change every month. Their pizzas are good, as is their great burgers. At lunch you can get a cheeseburger fries and drink for Only 150 baht. Add in that view of the mountains and what's not to love about the place?

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ordered Duke's home delivery a week ago (many of their items freeze well for future at-home meals), had lunch with friends at Duke's Mae Ping on Friday and went to a pizza party at Duke's Maya on Tuesday.  Wonder why the scale shows I'm up a kilo.  The food in all instances was great and it didn't break the budget since the portions are huge and I take home left-overs for future meals.

I have found over the years Dukes can be a bit of a mystery. You go and have a dish and it is great go backa month later and order the same thing and it is different. Sometimes the service is great but other times totally bad. In the last 6 months the staff at the Dukes on River as changed for the worse only a couple of the old staff still there. A couple of years ago the steak was a good buy went back to the states for a couple of months. After being back in Thailand a few months decided I want the New York Strip Steak well the price had went up fom 800b to 1200b. Choke choke, I have cut my consumption of New York Strip Steak in half or more. I will go for the lunch special burger for 150b a very good price including french fries. Considering the changes in service, the varing quality of food, nothing extreme but it will get your attention sometime. I still go there for the lunch burger it is good quality as well as good price. Dukes overall is worth the visit but you will probably not visit as often as you once did

Another who appreciates Dukes principally the river branch. It seems like it's 15 years I've been going there and seldom a complaint. They used to do a dish they called 'twice cut lamb chops' which was absolutely divine but unfortunately since discontinued but I'll survive on ribs and the occasional steak or burger.

Certainly glad they are still in business. 

14 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I used to go just for the pizzas, but with so much choice now with pizzas and of much better value I really dont see the need to ever go back and risk the negatives highlighted above.

Yummy meat lover is my fav but then that's another thread "Anyone Been to Yummies Lately?"  ????

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

"Anyone Been to Yummies Lately?"  ????

Was there last Sunday for the roast pork dinner and as usual bloody delightful and at 240baht for the pork/decent Yorkshire / spuds (roast&mash) and 3 veg excellent value.

To this bloke there's definitely room for Yummies & Dukes in town.

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Yummy meat lover is my fav but then that's another thread "Anyone Been to Yummies Lately?"  ????

Viva is my new favourite place and a third of the Dukes price.

Ok its not all bells and whistles but I dont need that.

16 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I used to go just for the pizzas, but with so much choice now with pizzas and of much better value I really dont see the need to ever go back and risk the negatives highlighted above.

Lots of euro style pizza places but I prefer Dukes American pizza style and know of no place in Chiang Mai that can beat Dukes

5 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Lots of euro style pizza places but I prefer Dukes American pizza style and know of no place in Chiang Mai that can beat Dukes

I prefer a full English pizza, and know of no place in the world that can beat that

full-english-shakshuka.jpg

i don't know who owns it now

but when i went many years ago  /with my g/f a local business woman

tripped going in as was to dark /ordered a meal

came back to say was not available/reordered /again not available that night  

left\never returned/ as g/f told me she didn't really wont to go there

as the locals said they didn't treat staff well and payed low wages to staff

hope it has new owners now/ cheers

Archived