Has anyone been to Dukes recently?

vagabond48

Yesterday, we went to Dukes and had the Cuban and Reuben sandwiches. We both enjoyed them. My only minor grime continues to be that unlike most? other establishments, Duke doesn't include the VAT tax in their asking price so you wind up paying another 7%.

6 hours ago, vagabond48 said:

My only minor grime continues to be that unlike most? other establishments, Duke doesn't include the VAT tax in their asking price so you wind up paying another 7%.

Some branches add 10% service as well. 17% extra!

Still, top nosh.

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

I've been to Dukes over 100 times in the last 12 years (every branch except Night Bazaar - never been) and have never been charged a 10% service charge.

Try Lamphun branch.

"...No claims...no games...just great food..."

Except "just great food" is a claim... oh, well. 

Avoid like the plague: Meatloaf sandwich/all Mexican food

* Exceptionally good (if at the right branch): Portuguese been soup (should be called Portuguese pulled pork and sausage stew)

On 8/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, chingmai331 said:

YES!  Let's all go to Chiang Rai for a pizza. 

Out in Doi Soket i occasionally eat pizza at Pizza Plus, on hiway 1014.  No, not chicago or nyc style but fusion of west and thai.  Some interesting choices and not expensive.

I like different.

Yeah, Pizza Plus pizzas are great! O'dourvre quality crust. Their lasagna beats Dukes, too -- and Duke's American lasagna ain't bad.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, sfokevin said:

The OP can go to their website and check out the menu which also shows the prices...

Yes, but the website prices are not the same as the actual prices (on some items). At least not the pricing for some items at the Night Bazaar location. (I know I eat there nearly every Friday night.)

Be careful. If you criticise Dukes you ll get a sea of abuse from the owners American pals who seem to think Dukes is "Gods Own Country". Its not. Far from it. And you do get the hidden tax sneakily added to your bill.

Are you claiming a 'hidden tax' is added to every Duke's bill?  Hidden as not listed on the menu prior to ordering? 

That is not the American way.  Usually, USA restaurants tell you straight away 'service charge 10%, Tax 7%' so can do the arithmetic before you order.

I am not inclined to pay the service charge, and seldom find a tax added in Thailand.

• 5 weeks later...

Against my better judgement and based on past experiences joined friends for a birthday celebration.

Kept it simple and ordered the 50 minute plus pizza. It took 50 minutes to arrive and the plus was the time it took after being sent back to be cooked.

It still seems to be a popular place so I guess I have just been unlucky,a few times.

You may post your personal experience but be mindful of the following forum rules.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Any such posts will be removed and the poster may face an immediate ban.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

25) No public discussion is allowed with regard to advertisements or sponsors, or methods of blocking advertisements.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, chingmai331 said:

Are you claiming a 'hidden tax' is added to every Duke's bill?  Hidden as not listed on the menu prior to ordering? 

That is not the American way.  Usually, USA restaurants tell you straight away 'service charge 10%, Tax 7%' so can do the arithmetic before you order.

I am not inclined to pay the service charge, and seldom find a tax added in Thailand.

they add tax on your check in Lamphun branch which is an unpleasant surprise if you are used to going to other branches where they do not.
when i went there it wasn't posted, maybe it is now, i don't know; didn't go back.

9 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I don't think it's peculiar?... Many sit-down restaurant chains charge tax... Every restaurant in Central Festival charges tax... My guess it's a function of having a properly licensed business...

Of course, sit-down places with computerized registers will probably include a VAT. The difference is that the menu item price listed includes the VAT so that if an item is 100 baht, that's the amount you'd pay PERIOD, unlike Dukes, where you'd pay 100 baht PLUS the VAT or an additional 7%. Since Duke's owners or surrogates encourage you include a tip or they actually do include it, I wonder if perhaps the owners are paying their waitresses less than normal which if true, would mean more profit due to lower wages. They should have a higher item price which should at least include the VAT if not a bit more for service charge, IF they are paying lower wages. Of course, that would make them less competitive.

50 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Duke's being American Owned expects customers to tip. Seems they might have complaints from the staff about the non tipping customers, so they add a service charge. Seems reasonable to me, but I have no problem tipping. Restaurants generally don't pay above minimum wage, but good staff can make a lot more with good service. 

You can always go to McDonald's if you don't want the service fee.

I now pay close attention to the bin from restaurants and I've never seen the term "service charge" on a Duke's bill. If I see a service charge on the bill, I don't tip as that is their tip. Before I started paying close attention there were instances where I tipped on top of the service charge, shame on me. The tax thing is different as some places charge it and some don't.

As far as the food at Duke's, I eat there about once a week with friends to get my fix of farang food. Can't complain as IMHO it's the best, most consistent place to get a decent western meal. I'm sure there will be those that disagree with me, but that is your opinion. 

30 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Duke's being American Owned expects customers to tip.

Really. I certainly do not go there a lot but never felt I had to tip. There are many that go to Dukes that just do not tip. Uh, It's a cultural thing, likely from their country of origin. If you're doing business in Chiang Mai your customer base includes those so I've assumed they understand realities.

I am sure there will be some that disagree, but do they even go to the restaurant? Right, likely they are just engaged in an activity near and dear to their cultural heart; patronizing, mewling, whining and complaining.  It means nothing.

Archived