Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

webfact

Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: Instant arrest: American man damaging cars in Tha Phae area

Police in Chiang Mai have made a quick arrest after a woman went on Facebook on Tuesday to complain that 3 cars had their windscreens smashed in the Tha Phae area. 

CCTV showed a man dressed in white with a cap in the area of Soi 3 behind Wat Loy Khroh. "Darakon Kongkaew" appealed to the authorities to act. 

Muang Chiang Mai police investigated and soon arrested 34 year old Jesse Edward Lee an American tourist and took him in for questioning. 

He was question in the "Blackhawk Detective Unit" with tourist police present to explain matters in English.

S__14721066-696x522.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

He admitted what he had done. He said that he had been drinking and only had a hazy recollection of events. He said he had picked up rocks and thrown them at the cars. 

The next thing he knew the police were at his hotel arresting him next day. 

The victims in the case asked for total compensation of 50,000 baht. The tourist did not have the money. 

He is now in custody as negotiations continue. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-01

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

How intimidating to be interrogated by a cop drinking a frappuccino ????

You might be surprised to learn that outside of the movies you watch, "interrogations" (read: Police interviews) aren't intended to be intimidating. 

53 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

He was question in the "Blackhawk Detective Unit"

So do Blacks get their own Detectives ????

39 minutes ago, Denim said:

Around the corner there is the White Eagle unit for caucasians.

Then what about the 'in-betweens'?

Which unit would they be take to?

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

in the Thai news it was stated that he said to let him return to the U.S. and he promises to forward the money lol ...

"On my mothers life I will"

"We understand that you are an Orphan"

"Yo"

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Many criticized the formation of a special unit dedicated to dealing with crime by African Americans in Chiang Mai, it seemed far too narrow a niche, but, to be fair, the Black Hawk Detective Unit does appear to be justifying it's existence. This is now the tenth offender in just one month who has caused damage but does not have the 50K necessary to buy their way out of incarceration.

I am not American, is $1,600 genuinely too much money for US citizens to assemble? Can other US friends not lend them the money?

I am probably naive, but I assumed that everyone had at least some emergency money in reserve, particularly if they are in the habit of getting drunk and smashing up cars while visiting other countries.

I do not feel any primal need to inflict harm on other people while I am drunk, but even I have some money in reserve for emergencies. Surely everyone does this, regardless of color?

Just to be clear, I respect that black culture is different, I understand that the perpetrator is not responsible for what he has done and that this is squarely the fault of white privilege.

You can imagine what kind of social class destroys stuff, the bottom of the bottom class, they are usually broke.

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

I understand that the perpetrator is not responsible for what he has done and that this is squarely the fault of white privilege.

Yes, white privilege. Any qualified historian would attest to the fact that the injustices in history are exclusive only to black Americans. They are the only group, from today to the beginning of time, who were persecuted by others for financial gain. No others have suffered as much as American descendents of slavery; not the countless millions murdered by bloodthirsty medieval despots; not the millions in India and asia under colonial rule, not even the Jews at the hands of the Nazis. So that being the case, black Americans are entitled to what would right all the wrongs done to their long-dead ancestors: millions of dollars of free money courtesy of the U.S. taxpayer, making possible a non productive life of leisure....until the money runs out.....   

how does one travel halfway around the world to tland and not have access to $1500us is incredulous. No money eh bro?  OK, we've got a few months of work for you to do now.... care to think about your funds again?

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

Many criticized the formation of a special unit dedicated to dealing with crime by African Americans in Chiang Mai, it seemed far too narrow a niche, but, to be fair, the Black Hawk Detective Unit does appear to be justifying it's existence. This is now the tenth offender in just one month who has caused damage but does not have the 50K necessary to buy their way out of incarceration.

I am not American, is $1,600 genuinely too much money for US citizens to assemble? Can other US friends not lend them the money?

I am probably naive, but I assumed that everyone had at least some emergency money in reserve, particularly if they are in the habit of getting drunk and smashing up cars while visiting other countries.

I do not feel any primal need to inflict harm on other people while I am drunk, but even I have some money in reserve for emergencies. Surely everyone does this, regardless of color?

Just to be clear, I respect that black culture is different, I understand that the perpetrator is not responsible for what he has done and that this is squarely the fault of white privilege.

Is there a suggestion that America's social problem with African-Americans is being exported?

1 hour ago, Uptooyoo said:

Yes, white privilege. Any qualified historian would attest to the fact that the injustices in history are exclusive only to black Americans. They are the only group, from today to the beginning of time, who were persecuted by others for financial gain. No others have suffered as much as American descendents of slavery; not the countless millions murdered by bloodthirsty medieval despots; not the millions in India and asia under colonial rule, not even the Jews at the hands of the Nazis. So that being the case, black Americans are entitled to what would right all the wrongs done to their long-dead ancestors: millions of dollars of free money courtesy of the U.S. taxpayer, making possible a non productive life of leisure....until the money runs out.....   

Some of these comments are truly sick.

We are talking about one person accused of a somewhat serious criminal act.

He happens to be African American.

To extrapolate from this case the way you and others are doing is clearly racist.

Don't we have enough of that hateful racist garbage from other sources these days?

Why can't people be fair and treat this case for what it actually is. Charges against one specific particular man for a specific particular crime?

18 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

how does one travel halfway around the world to tland and not have access to $1500us is incredulous. No money eh bro?  OK, we've got a few months of work for you to do now.... care to think about your funds again?

I think most tourists from the USA would have access to 50K usually on a U.S. bank based ATM card. Maybe he's an exception. Maybe he didn't budget well enough for his trip. Maybe he was misinformed about how "cheap" it is to travel in Thailand. In any case, if it's mostly a matter of coming up with that sum or another negotiated sum, maybe the U.S. consulate can help him contact people back in the U.S. that might wire the money.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Some of these comments are truly sick.

We are talking about one person accused of a somewhat serious criminal act.

He happens to be African American.

To extrapolate from this case the way you and others are doing is clearly racist.

Don't we have enough of that hateful garbage from other sources these days?

Why can't people be fair and treat this case for what it actually is. Charges against one specific particular man for a specific particular crime?

The bloke is a tosser, whatever his ancestry...

Plus his Nike cap is not in the reverse position.....????

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He may well have been drugged , he was in the bar area and its not uncommon for someone to slip something in your drink in that area

No.

It's not that.

Clearly he was abducted by aliens that made him do it.

Look, he didn't claim that he wasn't drugged and even if he was I've never heard of a crime drug that makes people want to vandalize random cars.

Anyway, given his situation, that he admitted to the crimes is the one thing in his favor. 

3 hours ago, donnacha said:

Nobody cares or even knows about white privilege bullshit in Thailand. As bad as the educational system is here, at least they don't learn this crap. And thank God Thais don't know this BS because life here would be exponentially worse for us if they did.

Anyway, as far as this chap is concerned, it doesn't matter what he looks like or where he comes from. He needs to pay up. And I agree that $1600 should be extremely easy for someone from a rich country like America to come up with. After all, he managed paid for an air ticket to get here which probably cost him close to that amount, so another $1600 shouldn't be too difficult to find. Just pick up a phone and call mommy or daddy. Or max out the credit card. Better than going to jail.

1 hour ago, Uptooyoo said:

Your well justified sarcastic reflection of the party line (guess which party) in the USA is appreciated. Sadly, it is black Americans who suffer the most damage from this ongoing barrage of hate breeding lies. They are led to believe that they are not responsible for their own actions, because slavery is to blame for their poverty and their bad behavior. Remember the figure 5%. It is key to the truth about the history of slavery in the USA. Less than 5% of the slaves brought across the Atlantic from Africa ended up in what became the USA. (Most went to Brazil and the Caribbean.) Less than 5% of Americans owned slaves while slavery was legal in the USA. Measure those two facts against the liberal lies and exaggerations you see and hear daily in the USA. 

Archived