BANGKOK
webfact

Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

Just to clear the air about cost of windshields... front windshields. I have friend dealing in these for insurance claims so I know roughly the cost. Depending upon the vehicle model, the windshield can be from local made( made in Thailand), imported ( made in China, Malaysia, ) or genuine. Price can stretch from tbaht 7000 for Japanese model  to as much as tb 30,000 for German makes. Tinted film cost extra. So is workmanship, loss of usage,... so tbaht 50,000 for 3 windshields is not excessive. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ericthai said:

guess you've never seen a Thai interrogation!

Anyone who has ever dated a Thai woman is familiar with Thai interrogation and, yes, intimidation certainly plays a key role.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, donnacha said:

From my memory of over the past few years, it is rare to read about an African American getting into newsworthy trouble here in Thailand. That may be because a far lower proportion choose to travel to Thailand, but my personal experience has been that the African Americans I have met here have been particularly friendly and well-mannered. Perhaps those who travel are more educated and have better jobs than those who do not - that would certainly be true of the white population in my home country - but it may also be that they are aware that they stick out more, it makes less sense to cause a ruckus when you can so easily be identified.

I have found Americans in general be good, fun, decent people and, among those here, I have seen no significant difference between the ethnicities, they are all more characterized by being "American" than they are by their race. Perhaps that is changing as Americans become more intersectional and bitter, but I have not yet noticed that among the ones I meet here.

I agree.. In fact, some of my best friends were black. I say they, were black, because they're all dead now having become victims of black on black crime. One fellow was killed when he sat in his car and some drugged up or drunk (who knows) black boy hit him in the head with a stone. Sad indeed, and you're right, all of their families are bitter. 

• Sad 1

A few weeks in a Thai slammer will sort this idiot out for life. He will have time to  be sheeit scared and organize a go fund me from anyone silly enough to donate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

A few weeks in a Thai slammer will sort this idiot out for life.

this would be the case for most people... however, nearly 65% of black Americans have spent time in jail. and of the 65% when surveyed, the majority of them have admitted to having sexual relations with other (male) inmates. So this boy is having the ultimate holiday in Thailand with room, board and sex all being paid for by someone else. 

I believe the accused was heard singing this song last night:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR90gQ-SIaY

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure there will be some who say: But they taught me everything I know about racism - citing double pricing and restrictive practices.

those are not examples of racism, so they would be completely wrong.

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Just to clear the air about cost of windshields... front windshields. I have friend dealing in these for insurance claims so I know roughly the cost. Depending upon the vehicle model, the windshield can be from local made( made in Thailand), imported ( made in China, Malaysia, ) or genuine. Price can stretch from tbaht 7000 for Japanese model  to as much as tb 30,000 for German makes. Tinted film cost extra. So is workmanship, loss of usage,... so tbaht 50,000 for 3 windshields is not excessive. 

Agreed... on one of my older cars the Insurance claim for a new windscreen due to a stone chip was 54,000 baht (the screen had to be imported from the UK and took about 4 week). 

In this case I wonder how much more damage there was. Not just the stone smashing the windscreen, but bouncing back onto the bonnet (hood) and causing damage of varying extent to that.

I may be mistaken, but I thought the claim was for 50,000 baht per car which IMO seems perfectly reasonable. 

I'm wondering if the vandal can't be locked up and released on bail fitting the amount claimed by the aggrieved parties (plus a little for the BiB of course for skipping bail as he will surely do once he is released !).

Additional comment: How this turned into a thread on racism is beyond me... some people just love to see stuff which simply isn't there....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Go fund me i need some dosh for a few new windscreens.

I need more rocks. 

'He was question in the "Blackhawk Detective Unit" with tourist police present to explain matters in English.'

Man! Blackhawk Down.

Hmmm, I thought there was a black buy that posts in this site and looks like him by his profile picture. Maybe brothers? If you don't have self control and can not handle the Thai way, better get out of Thailand.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Negro?

Have you been in a coma since 1950?

Glad you brought that up! So what are those folks calling themselves these days?

16 hours ago, Cyndee said:

There is way more crime and worse by you Caucasians.  

Absolute rubbish! Blacks commit more than fifty percent of the homicides in the United States and they are only about 13% of the population.

• Like 1