Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Nobody cares or even knows about white privilege bullshit in Thailand. As bad as the educational system is here, at least they don't learn this crap. And thank God Thais don't know this BS because life here would be exponentially worse for us if they did.

Anyway, as far as this chap is concerned, it doesn't matter what he looks like or where he comes from. He needs to pay up. And I agree that $1600 should be extremely easy for someone from a rich country like America to come up with. After all, he managed paid for an air ticket to get here which probably cost him close to that amount, so another $1600 shouldn't be too difficult to find. Just pick up a phone and call mommy or daddy. Or max out the credit card. Better than going to jail.

Actually a shockingly high percentage of Americans have much less than that in reserve for unexpected spending. But I do think it's rare for an American tourist to go as far as Thailand without somewhat ample resources. We'd have to hear from him for why he specifically came here so underfunded. Perhaps he was looking to teach English? Everyone's got a story!

6 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

Your well justified sarcastic reflection of the party line (guess which party) in the USA is appreciated. Sadly, it is black Americans who suffer the most damage from this ongoing barrage of hate breeding lies. They are led to believe that they are not responsible for their own actions, because slavery is to blame for their poverty and their bad behavior. Remember the figure 5%. It is key to the truth about the history of slavery in the USA. Less than 5% of the slaves brought across the Atlantic from Africa ended up in what became the USA. (Most went to Brazil and the Caribbean.) Less than 5% of Americans owned slaves while slavery was legal in the USA. Measure those two facts against the liberal lies and exaggerations you see and hear daily in the USA. 

I don't think this is the place for racially charged far right wing U.S. political propaganda. In fact it's not a political topic at all. It's just a crime story involving one man. He doesn't represent all black people or all African Americans anymore than you represent all of whatever you are.

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Some of these comments are truly sick.

We are talking about one person accused of a somewhat serious criminal act.

He happens to be African American.

To extrapolate from this case the way you and others are doing is clearly racist.

Don't we have enough of that hateful racist garbage from other sources these days?

Why can't people be fair and treat this case for what it actually is. Charges against one specific particular man for a specific particular crime?

Exactly. Well said. Only idiotic westerners overthink such nonsense and bring up race theory and all this other fake garbage which isn't even relevant here in Thailand anyway.

He is a criminal who happens to be black. So what? He will likely be asked to compensate the victims for exactly the same amount a white American would have been. And so he should be. He shouldn't be treated any better though neither should he be treated any worse than anyone else. In the case of Thailand, black people (especially African Americans) are a rare species. I don't think anyone should change their opinion of African-Americans on the basis of this one guy having done something stupid because chances are, they won't see another African-American for months or even a year.

I look down on him for what he did, not what he looks like. Unless he were to say something stupid and entitled (like I did this because of the "white man" yet he's in Thailand which is a non-white country, go figure), but so far I haven't seen or heard of anything to that effect. Pretty sure whatever this guy's political persuasions may be, he left that toxic crap with him at home and considers himself simply to be either an "American" or a "foreigner" here in Thailand. Which is what he is. A foreigner who made a boo-boo and needs to accept responsibility for such.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

It's not that.

Clearly he was abducted by aliens that made him do it.

Look, he didn't claim that he wasn't drugged and even if he was I've never heard of a crime drug that makes people want to vandalize random cars.

Anyway, given his situation, that he admitted to the crimes is the one thing in his favor. 

People are usually unaware that theyve been drugged and drugs effect different people differently , the local girls call then "getting drunk pills" , which I believe are sleeping pills

And another ! So the next time you complain about the visas becoming more and more difficult just remind yourself its foreigners like these making life more difficult for you. Don,t blame the Thais or Thai immigration . Its that piece of crap foreigner right over there likely you saw one today man or woman making a problem. Maybe have a word with them and or just let that gang of Thais have their way with them. The laws here are a joke and the government needs to seriously consider increasing the fines so it really hurts.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think the place for racially charged far right wing U.S. political propaganda. In fact it's not a political topic at all. It's just a crime story involving one man. He doesn't represent all black people or all African Americans anymore than you represent all of whatever you are.

Point taken on the "time and place" issue. But it is dead wrong of you to pull out the automatic "far right wing" label of liberal-speak in response to factual comments. 

2 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

Point taken on the "time and place" issue. But it is dead wrong of you to pull out the automatic "far right wing" label of liberal-speak in response to factual comments. 

I don't think so. I found your racially charged rhetoric a perfect fit for that label. Funny, you guys can dish it out but don't seem to be able to take it. 

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Exactly. Well said. Only idiotic westerners overthink such nonsense and bring up race theory and all this other fake garbage which isn't even relevant here in Thailand anyway.

He is a criminal who happens to be black. So what? He will likely be asked to compensate the victims for exactly the same amount a white American would have been. And so he should be. He shouldn't be treated any better though neither should he be treated any worse than anyone else. In the case of Thailand, black people (especially African Americans) are a rare species. I don't think anyone should change their opinion of African-Americans on the basis of this one guy having done something stupid because chances are, they won't see another African-American for months or even a year.

I look down on him for what he did, not what he looks like. Unless he were to say something stupid and entitled (like I did this because of the "white man" yet he's in Thailand which is a non-white country, go figure), but so far I haven't seen or heard of anything to that effect. Pretty sure whatever this guy's political persuasions may be, he left that toxic crap with him at home and considers himself simply to be either an "American" or a "foreigner" here in Thailand. Which is what he is. A foreigner who made a boo-boo and needs to accept responsibility for such.

What did you expect from many on a forum that make racist remarks about the Thais ?

4 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I totally agree with your comments regarding "equal treatment". But I strongly object to your branding of anyone who disagrees with you as an "idiotic westerner". Personal attacks discredit your otherwise thoughtful remarks; as does your description of other comments as "fake garbage" when you offer absolutely no proof that any of it is false. 

As I said before, most Americans are really broke!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2016/01/06/63-of-americans-dont-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-500-emergency/#44faa1a34e0d

63% Of Americans Don't Have Enough Savings To Cover A $500 Emergency

But most that are that broke have the good sense to not travel to other side of the world!

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Actually a shockingly high percentage of Americans have much less than that in reserve for unexpected spending. But I do think it's rare for an American tourist to go as far as Thailand without somewhat ample resources. 

Yes, that's true but America is an expensive country compared to Thailand, as long as you take out the high cost of imported costs of consumer goods here. Therefore one would be foolish not to have something in reserve, at least for medical emergencies, which are astronomically high there, higher than anywhere else in the world.

Anyway, even if he doesn't have much money, should be a piece of cake to get his parents to cough up something. Perhaps the amount can be negotiated down from 50,000 to say 30,000. If that were the case, it would be even easier.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

People are usually unaware that theyve been drugged and drugs effect different people differently , the local girls call then "getting drunk pills" , which I believe are sleeping pills

That's a real stretch. He said he was drunk, didn't he? People react to being drunk differently. Either way it's no excuse and I seriously doubt your theory is correct.

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe he didn't budget well enough for his trip.

You're right. He should've included getting drunk and throwing rocks at cars in his budget. The guy  is a moron and should be dealt with accordingly.

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Yes, that's true but America is an expensive country compared to Thailand, as long as you take out the high cost of imported costs of consumer goods here. Therefore one would be foolish not to have something in reserve, at least for medical emergencies, which are astronomically high there, higher than anywhere else in the world.

Anyway, even if he doesn't have much money, should be a piece of cake to get his parents to cough up something. Perhaps the amount can be negotiated down from 50,000 to say 30,000. If that were the case, it would be even easier.

Well if he says he doesn't have the money, and he really doesn't have the money, and if he can't scare up the money from friends and family, then I would believe him and wish him a tolerable stay in Thai prison. 

Just now, Vacuum said:

You're right. He should've included getting drunk and throwing rocks at cars in his budget. The guy  is a moron and should be dealt with accordingly.

Yeah, sounds like it. But I can't abide the sick racism on display here.

2 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

I totally agree with your comments regarding "equal treatment". But I strongly object to your branding of anyone who disagrees with you as an "idiotic westerner". Personal attacks discredit your otherwise thoughtful remarks; as does your description of other comments as "fake garbage" when you offer absolutely no proof that any of it is false. 

It is fake and I don't apologize for my remarks because sometimes you need to say it this way otherwise people don't take notice.

I also don't think they were too strong. Should I have said "misinformed?" I could have also said "indoctrinated". And yes, most of what we learn about slavery etc. is fake and used to advance an agenda. If you aren't intelligent enough to figure that out, I feel sorry for you. A number of other posters already did and I am not going to repeat what they said.

I also don't want to start going off topic here because this topic is not about slavery it's about the fact that an American citizen committed a crime. As I said before and I'll say it again just so it gets through, this guy is a criminal due to his actions. What he looks like is immaterial and should never have even been brought up, but always is, because in the west, especially in America, most people are indoctrinated with this stuff.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Well if he says he doesn't have the money, and he really doesn't have the money, and if he can't scare up the money from friends and family, then I would believe him and wish him a tolerable stay in Thai prison. 

I guess so. But how can his family and friends live without money? Surely they can come up with something? If not, he's either a fool or he needs to stay away from his family and find new friends. Any loving family would help out someone accused of a crime. Even if they don't like what that person did, but they would help.

Just now, drbeach said:

I guess so. But how can his family and friends live without money? Surely they can come up with something? If not, he's either a fool or he needs to stay away from his family and find new friends. Any loving family would help out someone accused of a crime. Even if they don't like what that person did, but they would help.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about his chances to raise the money or not at this point. I assume the consulate will be in contact and at least give him assistance to contact friends and relatives.

27 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

What did you expect from many on a forum that make racist remarks about the Thais ?

I'm sure there will be some who say: But they taught me everything I know about racism - citing double pricing and restrictive practices.

Sickening racism on this thread. Deeply embarassed for the Chiang Mai expat community and all those engaging in this pathetically racist free for all. You moved to a country filled with brown skinned people and spew this type of racial hatred? Absolutely disgusting.

@donnacha What is the source for the claim that the Blackhawk Detective Unit was formed to focus on crime committed by African-Americans and that African-Americans have committed 10 crimes in Chiang Mai in the past month?

1 minute ago, SiamAndy said:

I'm surprised his defense wasn't Black Rage like in the Colin Ferguson case. I hope he spends a year in a Thai prison.

That sounds like a long time for that level of property crime. I hope he raises the money he needs and just gets deported and blacklisted. Please no comments on the word -- blacklist.

4 hours ago, donnacha said:

Many criticized the formation of a special unit dedicated to dealing with crime by African Americans in Chiang Mai, it seemed far too narrow a niche, but, to be fair, the Black Hawk Detective Unit does appear to be justifying it's existence. This is now the tenth offender in just one month who has caused damage but does not have the 50K necessary to buy their way out of incarceration.

I am not American, is $1,600 genuinely too much money for US citizens to assemble? Can other US friends not lend them the money?

I am probably naive, but I assumed that everyone had at least some emergency money in reserve, particularly if they are in the habit of getting drunk and smashing up cars while visiting other countries.

I do not feel any primal need to inflict harm on other people while I am drunk, but even I have some money in reserve for emergencies. Surely everyone does this, regardless of color?

Just to be clear, I respect that black culture is different, I understand that the perpetrator is not responsible for what he has done and that this is squarely the fault of white privilege.

Maybe he's got the cash but wants to try GoFundMe route first?

Archived