Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

webfact

4 hours ago, donnacha said:

I am not American, is $1,600 genuinely too much money for US citizens to assemble? Can other US friends not lend them the money?

I am probably naive, but I assumed that everyone had at least some emergency money in reserve, particularly if they are in the habit of getting drunk and smashing up cars while visiting other countries.

Are you expecting for others to throw their money on a thug? You can't take your alcohol drink frigging water or pay the consequences. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't make sense to organize a police unit based on the nationality of the perpetrator. You organize police units based on the type of crime in order to build expertise. You have units dedicated to specific types of crimes, sometimes with a focus on a specific nationality like Chinese espionage, Russian organized crime, Mexican drug trafficking, etc., but you don't have units dedicated to handling British drunk and disorderly, Irish shoplifting, Australian vagrancy, Chinese public disturbance, African-American vandalism, or French vaping violations.

Still waiting for @donnacha to cite his source that the Blackhawk unit was specifically formed to handle crimes committed by African-Americans in Chiang Mai. Only reference on the web that I can find on Google is this thread and a city in US named Black Hawk, nothing to do with African-Americans.

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

just give him a daily testicle spanking until he pays up.

this is a scumbag, unlike the woman in the classy pic

posing in front of a temple, that can be used to promote tourism

You have a nerve to call him scumbag. What do you call yourself. There is way more crime and worse by you Caucasians.  

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Doesn't make sense to organize a police unit based on the nationality of the perpetrator. You organize police units based on the type of crime in order to build expertise. You have units dedicated to specific types of crimes, sometimes with a focus on a specific nationality like Chinese espionage, Russian organized crime, Mexican drug trafficking, etc., but you don't have units dedicated to handling British drunk and disorderly, Irish shoplifting, Australian vagrancy, Chinese public disturbance, African-American vandalism, or French vaping violations.

French vaping? Makes it sound like a euphemism.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think so. I found your racially charged rhetoric a perfect fit for that label. Funny, you guys can dish it out but don't seem to be able to take it. 

says the guy that complained to the boys here on TV when I dished on him.  Of course what i said fit into your  long list of  idiotic, racist, right wing,  homophobic,  disingenuous, off topic, moronic, uneducated.... and many more refrains that you accuse others of.  

There is hardly a post where you do not use your great vocabulary of aggressive putdowns to try to attack others.  You seem to think this is a debate forum.  Is this the only place you can act out your frustrations?

Hurry folks,  this post soon to be banned by the guy who can't take it

why always Americans?

i guess americans have the highest crime rate in Thailand.

and high profile crimes too from drug smuggling to dealing to guns to extortion rackets etc.

Thai police should round up Americans and check them more with an operation called 'American Eagle'

29 minutes ago, Cyndee said:

You have a nerve to call him scumbag. What do you call yourself. There is way more crime and worse by you Caucasians.  

There are some real idiots on this forum. This thread is one of the worst examples of narrow minded thinking I have seen here in a long time. Please don't conclude every expat in Thailand is narrow-minded, racist, or a bigot.

The Thai government is more strictly enforcing immigration laws and many have speculated that the calibre of expat and TVF poster will improve once this is implemented. Unfortunately, judging by some of the posts on this thread, the calibre of expats and TVF posters appears to be deteriorating rapidly by the day. Maybe immigration needs to consider raising the financial requirements to, say, 3MM baht on deposit year round to clear out the trailer park trash once and for all.

12 minutes ago, rumak said:

says the guy that complained to the boys here on TV when I dished on him.  Of course what i said fit into your  long list of  idiotic, racist, right wing,  homophobic,  disingenuous, off topic, moronic, uneducated.... and many more refrains that you accuse others of.  

Hurry folks,  this post soon to be banned by the guy who can't take it

The same thing happened to me when I responded to the same poster. Now I know that I am not the only one this happened to. Thanks.

That guy that smashed the cars is an idiot.

20 minutes ago, Galactus said:

why always Americans?

and high profile crimes too from drug smuggling to dealing to guns to extortion rackets etc.

Thai police should round up Americans and check them more with an operation called 'American Eagle'

And, Boiler Rooms

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I assume the accused will be reading this thread someday. You made a mistake. Sorry you had to read all the racist garbage here

I agree completely with you-  I am amazed how a simple news item involving an American who happens to be a person of color, and did something  foolish has degenerated into some of the most racist rantings that I can remember.

Some of these posters would have fit right in during the Era of Jim Crow in the 50s and 60s, undoubtedly the same type of person that watches professional soccer in Europe and screams out racist epitaphs.  

now now boys .....  lets stay ON TOPIC !    I will start the discussion

what kind of cars were they ?

How much does a windshield cost for each model ?

where can you get a windshield replaced in CM ?

How do you get there ?

Can you draw me a map ?

Its not my windshield.... it is my friends

His wife smashed it when he came home smelling of perfume

No, I don't know what kind of perfume

Please stay on topic

6 hours ago, webfact said:

American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

Money for the flight over here, money for accommodation, money for food more than enough money for drink but nothing for damage he caused ?

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I agree completely with you-  I am amazed how a simple news item involving an American who happens to be a person of color, and did something  foolish has degenerated into some of the most racist rantings that I can remember.

Some of these posters would have fit right in during the Era of Jim Crow in the 50s and 60s, undoubtedly the same type of person that watches professional soccer in Europe and screams out racist epitaphs.  

Racism exists in this world today. It has, it is and it will exist forever, as long as the present species of humans exists. The bitter truth.

Edit

Are you amazed how a simple news item involving an American who happens to be a person of color, and did something  foolish? How about if he/she was of a different nationality? For example Thai, Indian, Chinese etc etc

35 minutes ago, Galactus said:

why always Americans?

Naw we give them too much $ and military tech support.

China lapping at nether regions lately tho....

5 hours ago, brokenbone said:

just give him a daily testicle spanking until he pays up.

this is a scumbag, unlike the woman in the classy pic

posing in front of a temple, that can be used to promote tourism

Which woman in front of a temple ? You mean, the leggy Serbian tourist ? ????

5 hours ago, donnacha said:

Many criticized the formation of a special unit dedicated to dealing with crime by African Americans in Chiang Mai, it seemed far too narrow a niche, but, to be fair, the Black Hawk Detective Unit does appear to be justifying it's existence. This is now the tenth offender in just one month who has caused damage but does not have the 50K necessary to buy their way out of incarceration.

I am not American, is $1,600 genuinely too much money for US citizens to assemble? Can other US friends not lend them the money?

I am probably naive, but I assumed that everyone had at least some emergency money in reserve, particularly if they are in the habit of getting drunk and smashing up cars while visiting other countries.

I do not feel any primal need to inflict harm on other people while I am drunk, but even I have some money in reserve for emergencies. Surely everyone does this, regardless of color?

Just to be clear, I respect that black culture is different, I understand that the perpetrator is not responsible for what he has done and that this is squarely the fault of white privilege.

First, not all Americans are rich.  Many can't afford to miss a paycheck.  But he got here so one has to assume he had some money.  From LA, it costs about $500 for a roundtrip ticket to Bangkok on China Southern and that is likely the cheapest ticket available. 

From Bangkok, he had to get to Chiang Mai, book a room, pay for food and booze.  So let's assume he started with at least $1,000.

There is no way to know what he has left but I would think that Thai authorities could contact the US Consulate to see if he has assets in America that can be seized. 

Personally, I think he needs to spend some time locked up and if it turns out he does have the funds, he should have to pay an additional fine to compensate the Thai government for the cost of his incarceration. 

All that said, a lot of comments here seem to be pretty racist.  Which is sad.  Take race out of it.  What he did is wrong, regardless of culture.

6 minutes ago, ravip said:

Racism exists in this world today. It has, it is and it will exist forever, as long as the present species of humans exists. The bitter truth.

and if i may,   i will add discrimination based on  age, gender, race, marriage, disability, religion  sexual orientation,  height. looks, weight, size of breasts , hair color,  toothpaste used

Get a life and stop crying so much .   Or at least get Netflix

Just now, rumak said:

and if i may,   i will add discrimination based on  age, gender, race, marriage, disability, religion  sexual orientation,  height. looks, weight, size of breasts , hair color,  toothpaste used

Get a life and stop crying so much .   Or at least get Netflix

Touched a raw nerve?

Does no one think that 50,000bht is a rip off for 3 windshields, if he is in fact guilty. My gf has had 3 cars repairs since we've been together, none of them have been close to one-third of 50,000bht. If he did do it, and he pays, I guarantee they get a new windshield and the work done for around 4,000 - 7,000bht each and pocket the rest of the money. If he did do it, such childish behavior. I've never been drunk enough to break other people's stuff, pretty immature and shameful.

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

Touched a raw nerve?

sorry ravip.   i was agreeing with you  LOL

my comment at the end (get a life)  was not directed at you but to the many here that keep playing

the same old cards .  Usually not much in their deck other than that

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think most tourists from the USA would have access to 50K usually on a U.S. bank based ATM card. Maybe he's an exception. Maybe he didn't budget well enough for his trip. Maybe he was misinformed about how "cheap" it is to travel in Thailand. In any case, if it's mostly a matter of coming up with that sum or another negotiated sum, maybe the U.S. consulate can help him contact people back in the U.S. that might wire the money.

You would be wrong.  Americans may earn more money than most of the world but costs and short-sightedness tend to offset that.  Most Americans have very little in savings.  The thought that we are all rich is a myth.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/index.html

Archived