Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

webfact

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some of these comments are truly sick.

We are talking about one person accused of a somewhat serious criminal act.

He happens to be African American.

To extrapolate from this case the way you and others are doing is clearly racist.

Don't we have enough of that hateful racist garbage from other sources these days?

Why can't people be fair and treat this case for what it actually is. Charges against one specific particular man for a specific particular crime?

The caught people they sprayed cars and walls in Bangkok where white Americans. The idiots they sprayed the city wall in Chiang Mai in Chiang Mai were a white Brit and a white Canadian. There are idiots from every skin color and every nation. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, komments said:

You would be wrong.  Americans may earn more money than most of the world but costs and short-sightedness tend to offset that.  Most Americans have very little in savings.  The thought that we are all rich is a myth.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/index.html

You're preaching to the converted, dude. My point which you obviously missed is that most Americans that were that broke assed which indeed is very common, would not be traveling to the other side of the world. 

15 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Does no one think that 50,000bht is a rip off for 3 windshields, if he is in fact guilty. My gf has had 3 cars repairs since we've been together, none of them have been close to one-third of 50,000bht. If he did do it, and he pays, I guarantee they get a new windshield and the work done for around 4,000 - 7,000bht each and pocket the rest of the money. If he did do it, such childish behavior. I've never been drunk enough to break other people's stuff, pretty immature and shameful.

Yeah, sure, but I don't think he is in the strongest NEGOTIATING position. 

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

Just to be clear, I respect that black culture is different, I understand that the perpetrator is not responsible for what he has done and that this is squarely the fault of white privilege.

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

I am probably naive, but I assumed that everyone had at least some emergency money in reserve, particularly if they are in the habit of getting drunk and smashing up cars while visiting other countries.

Naive??  Seriously?  Just to be clear....sir, you are not what I would consider naive, given your two completely asinine comments.  Your comments are so insanely ignorant, that "naive" is not what comes to mind....

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think most tourists from the USA would have access to 50K usually on a U.S. bank based ATM card. Maybe he's an exception. Maybe he didn't budget well enough for his trip. Maybe he was misinformed about how "cheap" it is to travel in Thailand. In any case, if it's mostly a matter of coming up with that sum or another negotiated sum, maybe the U.S. consulate can help him contact people back in the U.S. that might wire the money.

Why do you care so much about the GD money? If he doesn't have it, he can go have fun in the playpen like the rest of the perps!

28 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Does no one think that 50,000bht is a rip off for 3 windshields, if he is in fact guilty. My gf has had 3 cars repairs since we've been together, none of them have been close to one-third of 50,000bht. If he did do it, and he pays, I guarantee they get a new windshield and the work done for around 4,000 - 7,000bht each and pocket the rest of the money. If he did do it, such childish behavior. I've never been drunk enough to break other people's stuff, pretty immature and shameful.

If someone smashed my windscreen I'd want them to pay for the replacement and some. I think there's nothing wrong asking for some compensation on top considering their cars will have been out of action, its the added inconvenience.  Depending on the vehicle, loss of earnings could come into it too.

4 minutes ago, moutamine said:

Why do you care so much about the GD money? If he doesn't have it, he can go have fun in the playpen like the rest of the perps!

Because I don't think anyone here or anywhere should really get much time, and Thailand is hard time, for that kind of property crime. So I just hope that he can find a way to raise the money he needs is all. 

1 minute ago, alien365 said:

If someone smashed my windscreen I'd want them to pay for the replacement and some. I think there's nothing wrong asking for some compensation on top considering their cars will have been out of action, its the added inconvenience.  Depending on the vehicle, loss of earnings could come into it too.

That's true. It's not only the replacement cost but the hassle and time dealing with it. 

22 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

The caught people they sprayed cars and walls in Bangkok where white Americans. The idiots they sprayed the city wall in Chiang Mai in Chiang Mai were a white Brit and a white Canadian. There are idiots from every skin color and every nation. 

And here we have a white Canadian idiot: 

Lock him up until he can get his friends and relatives to pay his fine, then once paid, let him stew inside for a nice while before releasing the utter contemptible loser. 

The guy is obviously a complete nutter who deserves punished then banned for life. 

54 minutes ago, komments said:

There is no way to know what he has left but I would think that Thai authorities could contact the US Consulate to see if he has assets in America that can be seized. 

In what world do you live in to think that the US Consulate gives a rat's ass about what this guys owns in the US.  Do you really think that they will start civil procedure to try and seize a car or a house just to pay for 3 freaking windshield...  These Thai will never see the color of an old dollar bill for this. C'mon be serious!

1 minute ago, moutamine said:

In what world do you live in to think that the US Consulate gives a rat's ass about what this guys owns in the US.  Do you really think that they will start civil procedure to try and seize a car or a house just to pay for 3 freaking windshield...  These Thai will never see the color of an old dollar bill for this. C'mon be serious!

I agree there is no way the consulate would get involved in seizing his U.S. assets. But what they can I assume usually would do is help him contact friends and relatives that might be able to help. 

53 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

When's the last time you changed a windshield buddy... 1965?

3 hours ago, Cyndee said:

You have a nerve to call him scumbag. What do you call yourself. There is way more crime and worse by you Caucasians.  

uh ?

yes i have the nerve to call him scumbag,

and that has nothing to do with him being a negro

but everything to do with the fact he has zero impulse control,

a viral beast.

i think i most commonly call myself 'me',

but in this context, i guess the word you are looking for is 'civilized'

2 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

uh ?

yes i have the nerve to call him scumbag,

and that has nothing to do with him being a negro

but everything to do with the fact he has zero impulse control,