Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, transam said:

The blokes a tool, probably thought he was back home.....Make him find the cash, I hope he don't like fish head soup....

The vid, looks like they are all having a laugh....????

He was question in the "Blackhawk Detective Unit" with tourist police present to explain matters in English.

Of course outstanding English spoken by the Blackhawk Unit. 

Racists all over the country. 

8 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

in the Thai news it was stated that he said to let him return to the U.S. and he promises to forward the money lol ...

Of course he will. Guaranteed 100%. After all, he is an American. 

2 hours ago, moutamine said:
3 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Does no one think that 50,000bht is a rip off for 3 windshields, if he is in fact guilty. My gf has had 3 cars repairs since we've been together, none of them have been close to one-third of 50,000bht. If he did do it, and he pays, I guarantee they get a new windshield and the work done for around 4,000 - 7,000bht each and pocket the rest of the money. If he did do it, such childish behavior. I've never been drunk enough to break other people's stuff, pretty immature and shameful.

When's the last time you changed a windshield buddy... 1965?

Friend replaced the windshield for Mitsubushi pickup in Udon last year. 8,000 Baht fitted.

7 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You can imagine what kind of social class destroys stuff, the bottom of the bottom class, they are usually broke.

Like the two American tourists who stabbed the Italian policeman last week? Both white, upper class, spoilt brats. It is upper class white collar criminals who created the banking crisis in 2008 and who  commit most damaging crime in general.  The upper classes evade responsibility and punishment.  The poorer people are scapegoated.

...just trying to understand...

...when are people arrested...and when are they not...???

...does it depend on race...???

...arrested for hitting (?) a dog.......

...kill and eat dogs...okay...???

...illegal slaughter houses....okay...???

....abuse elephants until they die....okay...???

....kill people with your motor vehicle......no problem....???

...smash things.....get arrested....???

....even after you admit being drunk....???

...smash things...or worse....with a ready 'locally-accepted excuse/explanation'....no problem....???

....really trying to figure out this reasoning...and what laws come into effect...or are ignored...???

...depending on what...???

...what are the rules....d*mn it...!!!???

6 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:
26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Friend replaced the windshield for Mitsubushi pickup in Udon last year. 8,000 Baht fitted.

How much for the inconvenience of the victims. How much for the police time.

I was purely quoting to the cost of the windshield, in reply to someone who asked if the last time they replaced a windshield was 1965. Nothing else.

8 hours ago, Uptooyoo said:

No others have suffered as much as American descendents of slavery; 

this is not the case.. It's no others have suffered as much as the black American regardless of ancestry.  nowhere in the civilized world do you see people as a group behave the way the black American does. Very sad indeed.

57 minutes ago, bluesofa said:
  4 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Does no one think that 50,000bht is a rip off for 3 windshields, if he is in fact guilty. My gf has had 3 cars repairs since we've been together, none of them have been close to one-third of 50,000bht.

you're concerned he's being overcharged, and not that he's some lunatic walking down the street damaging property.. brilliant.

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I guarantee they get a new windshield and the work done for around 4,000 - 7,000bht

you thoughtlessly speak disparagingly of the police and victims. unbelievable  

3 minutes ago, Peasandmash said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:
  4 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Does no one think that 50,000bht is a rip off for 3 windshields, if he is in fact guilty. My gf has had 3 cars repairs since we've been together, none of them have been close to one-third of 50,000bht.

you're concerned he's being overcharged, and not that he's some lunatic walking down the street damaging property.. brilliant.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I guarantee they get a new windshield and the work done for around 4,000 - 7,000bht

you thoughtlessly speak disparagingly of the police and victims. unbelievable

Why have you edited these posts to make it appear I said the above? What was the point of that?

Neither of the posts you have attributed to me were mine.

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Doesn't make sense to organize a police unit based on the nationality of the perpetrator. You organize police units based on the type of crime in order to build expertise. You have units dedicated to specific types of crimes, sometimes with a focus on a specific nationality like Chinese espionage, Russian organized crime, Mexican drug trafficking, etc., but you don't have units dedicated to handling British drunk and disorderly, Irish shoplifting, Australian vagrancy, Chinese public disturbance, African-American vandalism, or French vaping violations.

Still waiting for @donnacha to cite his source that the Blackhawk unit was specifically formed to handle crimes committed by African-Americans in Chiang Mai. Only reference on the web that I can find on Google is this thread and a city in US named Black Hawk, nothing to do with African-Americans.

This may surprise you, but I don't sit around waiting for people who demand I immediately answer their questions. I actually have a life beyond ThaiVisa.

It cracks me up that you spent time googling this.

As anyone not completely lacking a sense of humor could tell you, my post was joke referring to the video accompanying the article, which features a big sign announcing the name of the police unit investigating this particular crime: Blackhawk Detective Unit.

Yes, of course, this just happens to be the name of the police unit, it has nothing to do with focusing on a particular nationality or ethnicity. I would have thought that was blindingly obvious to everyone.

The joke, and I am stunned I need to explain this, was to posit a ridiculous reality in which such a unit would exist. It is funny partly because it is not all that far from reality: under Big Joke, a police operation was launched to focus on arresting African criminals in Thailand called Black something, I cannot remember its exact name but the lack of awareness was amusing at the time. That was a national operation, the joke is pretending that the small Chiang Mai force has such a unit too. It does not. You really should not have needed to spend an hour on Google to realize that.

Humor is subjective, some jokes fall flat, but I still want the people around me to keep making them. I enjoy jokes. Jokes are good.

As for anyone complaining that comments in this thread have referenced the criminal's race, well, that is what always happens when a crime is discussed on this forum: we make fun of the perpetrator. It does not matter if he is Russian, Australian, American, British, or any other nationality. We mock him, and we pretend that this particular scumbag is typical of his compatriots, because we are taking the opportunity to make fun of our Russian, Australian or British friends on this forum. It is good sport, and, at some point, we all get the same treatment, because Thailand attracts rum characters from all over the world.

Taking the piss is male bonding behavior common to all cultures, including African American. Men of all races and creeds spend time in Thailand partly because of the amiable and accessible bar culture. You can literally be having a good conversation in a bar, with someone you never met before, within an hour or two of landing. Expat culture, including forums such as this, are an extension of that. If some guy in a bar suddenly became angry because a bar girl jokingly referred to him as being "pom pui", or a fellow barfly made a joke about his country, well, that would be a flag. The rest of us would quietly take note that he was a bit odd, that he seemed to be lacking a sense of proportion or humor, and we would politely avoid interaction with him. We would wonder why he bothered to go to bars at all.

There is a deep racism inherent in the suggestion that any group should be excluded from this informal international fraternity simply because their skin is a different color. It is a travesty that most humor-deficient among us appoint themselves moral guardians and police forum threads under the guise of "fighting racism" when it is actually they who advocate treating people differently based on skin.

If you get caught doing something dumb in Thailand, you will receive an equal opportunities slagging from your fellow farangs. Then, if you have accepted your drubbing in good grace, we will probably buy you a beer. That is how this works, because we all do dumb things from time to time, but nothing could be dumber than letting the friendless, emotionally empty, continually triggered, self-appointed moral guardians dictate how men can and cannot interact with one another.

He does not have any money.....that’s his training, worth a shot.

If they believe you have no money, if you can convince them,

they might let him go........sometimes it works....on this occasion 

It will not work.

if he really has no money, he will have to sit it out at the rate of 

200 baht a day....so that will occupy him for 250 days...slight dampener on his year, cheap room I suppose. always a bright side.

Odds are he will find the money all of a sudden.

This may surprise you, but I don't sit around waiting for people who demand I immediately answer their questions. I actually have a life beyond ThaiVisa.

It cracks me up that you spent time googling this.

As anyone not completely lacking a sense of humor could tell you, my post was joke referring to the video accompanying the article, which features a big sign announcing the name of the police unit investigating this particular crime: Blackhawk Detective Unit.

Yes, of course, this just happens to be the name of the police unit, it has nothing to do with focusing on a particular nationality or ethnicity. I would have thought that was blindingly obvious to everyone.

The joke, and I am stunned I need to explain this, was to posit a ridiculous reality in which such a unit would exist. It is funny partly because it is not all that far from reality: under Big Joke, a police operation was launched to focus on arresting African criminals in Thailand called Black something, I cannot remember its exact name but the lack of awareness was amusing at the time. That was a national operation, the joke is pretending that the small Chiang Mai force has such a unit too. It does not. You really should not have needed to spend an hour on Google to realize that.

Humor is subjective, some jokes fall flat, but I still want the people around me to keep making them. I enjoy jokes. Jokes are good.

As for anyone complaining that comments in this thread have referenced the criminal's race, well, that is what always happens when a crime is discussed on this forum: we make fun of the perpetrator. It does not matter if he is Russian, Australian, American, British, or any other nationality. We mock him, and we pretend that this particular scumbag is typical of his compatriots, because we are taking the opportunity to make fun of our Russian, Australian or British friends on this forum. It is good sport, and, at some point, we all get the same treatment, because Thailand attracts rum characters from all over the world.

Taking the piss is male bonding behavior common to all cultures, including African American. Men of all races and creeds spend time in Thailand partly because of the amiable and accessible bar culture. You can literally be having a good conversation in a bar, with someone you never met before, within an hour or two of landing. Expat culture, including forums such as this, are an extension of that. If some guy in a bar suddenly became angry because a bar girl jokingly referred to him as being "pom pui", or a fellow barfly made a joke about his country, well, that would be a flag. The rest of us would quietly take note that he was a bit odd, that he seemed to be lacking a sense of proportion or humor, and we would politely avoid interaction with him. We would wonder why he bothered to go to bars at all.

There is a deep racism inherent in the suggestion that any group should be excluded from this informal international fraternity simply because their skin is a different color. It is a travesty that most humor-deficient among us appoint themselves moral guardians and police forum threads under the guise of "fighting racism" when it is actually they who advocate treating people differently based on skin.

If you get caught doing something dumb in Thailand, you will receive an equal opportunities slagging from your fellow farangs. Then, if you have accepted your drubbing in good grace, we will probably buy you a beer. That is how this works, because we all do dumb things from time to time, but nothing could be dumber than letting the friendless, emotionally empty, continually triggered, self-appointed moral guardians dictate how men can and cannot interact with one another.
Don't say taking the piss to Americans. They'll think you're soliciting for water sports.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, namatjira said:

He does not have any money.....that’s his training, worth a shot.

If they believe you have no money, if you can convince them,

they might let him go........sometimes it works....on this occasion 

It will not work.

if he really has no money, he will have to sit it out at the rate of 

200 baht a day....so that will occupy him for 250 days...slight dampener on his year, cheap room I suppose. always a bright side.

Odds are he will find the money all of a sudden.

The 2 idiots they sprayed the city wall in Chiang Mai and were fined for 200,000(?) baht also haven´t the money. They got it from their families abroad. I guess these guy also have family or friends, he can call or send them a message. At least he can #gofundme ????

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

It does not matter if he is Russian, Australian, American, British, or any other nationality. We mock him,

now hold on a second... lets look at the recent news headlines as they pertain to American's committing crimes in foreign countries..  Two white boys in Italy (one crime), and one black boy in Thailand.. Whites in American are the majority of the population and blacks represent about 12% of the total population.. but we see black American tourist are committing 50% of the crimes in foreign countries. Thai Immigration should take notice to let the good guys in and keep the bad guys out...

11 hours ago, SammyT said:

You might be surprised to learn that outside of the movies you watch, "interrogations" (read: Police interviews) aren't intended to be intimidating. 

guess you've never seen a Thai interrogation!

12 hours ago, DLock said:

I am constantly amazed at the dumb stuff stupid tourist do here.

If he hasn't go the money, let him spend some time in a Thai prison until he does...and the deport him.

It seems it is not only Thais who blamed the crime on drunkenness... being drunk seems to be a universal excuse when caught.

36 minutes ago, Peasandmash said:

now hold on a second... lets look at the recent news headlines as they pertain to American's committing crimes in foreign countries..  Two white boys in Italy (one crime), and one black boy in Thailand.. Whites in American are the majority of the population and blacks represent about 12% of the total population.. but we see black American tourist are committing 50% of the crimes in foreign countries. Thai Immigration should take notice to let the good guys in and keep the bad guys out...

I do not know what the exact ratio is but that strikes me as a highly selective sample.

From my memory of over the past few years, it is rare to read about an African American getting into newsworthy trouble here in Thailand. That may be because a far lower proportion choose to travel to Thailand, but my personal experience has been that the African Americans I have met here have been particularly friendly and well-mannered. Perhaps those who travel are more educated and have better jobs than those who do not - that would certainly be true of the white population in my home country - but it may also be that they are aware that they stick out more, it makes less sense to cause a ruckus when you can so easily be identified.

I have found Americans in general be good, fun, decent people and, among those here, I have seen no significant difference between the ethnicities, they are all more characterized by being "American" than they are by their race. Perhaps that is changing as Americans become more intersectional and bitter, but I have not yet noticed that among the ones I meet here.

The situation with French visitors to Thailand is remarkably different. I have noticed that almost all of the many crime reports involving French nationals are about someone of North African descent. Something seems to have gone very wrong there, I don't know what, but I certainly enough making fun of my French friends by saying "Wow, another French guy has stabbed a girl in Pattaya, you guys are crazy!"

Seriously, next time there is a thread here about a French guy smashing someone in the face with a beer bottle, chime in with a post saying "How terrible, I thought the French were meant to be sophisticated", it will drive the French members crazy ????

Archived