It's Complicated

Steve 0

So I am a US citizen who married a Thai citizen who has dual citizenship in Canada, so she is both Canadian and Thai, two passports. We intend to live in Thailand, not the US so we have only been legally married in Thailand so far but I want to be legally married in USA as well. Does anyone know how that will work? Is it easier to register our marriage in Canada, then in the US? Does it matter? I want to avoid the paperwork and US bureaucracy if possible.  Any direction will be helpful and appreciated.

The Canadian embassy told me its not necessary to register my thai marriage with them. If you insist they will do it but not sure about the process. Unless you really need it then I would not bother. 

REGISTERING YOUR MARRIAGE IN THE USA: You cannot register your marriage through an embassy or consulate as marriage is a state-specific responsibility. Most states recognize the validity of legal marriages registered in Thailand. If you would like to register your marriage in the United States, you must contact the Attorney General in your state of residence to inquire about their specific documentary requirements. Some states may require your Thai marriage certificate to be “certified.”

To certify a Thai marriage certificate, please have it translated into English and take both documents to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Legalization Division. Then make an appointment and bring the MFA-certified documents to our office; we will authenticate the signature of the MFA officer by appointment for the appropriate fee.

Please see: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived