Nationwide BS (UK) now useless

I've recently tried (and failed) to make a couple of purchases using my Nationwide debit and credit card.  They have a new security system that involves sending a text message to your mobile 'phone.  I've now been told that they are not able to send text messages to foreign 'phones, so I'm now unable to make Internet purchases using my Nationwide cards.

To add insult to injury they also blocked my credit card because I attempted to make a purchase.

And in future they're changing their website logon system to abandon the "memorable data" option, forcing you either to have a UK mobile 'phone or the card reader.

Any suggestions of any easy (and cheap) ways to get around Nationwide's lunacy?

7 minutes ago, jastheace said:

where's your card reader ? can you get it mailed over, DHL I think last time I used it can do it in a few days for 35 USD, so whats that ? 30 GBP.... done

A card reader is absolutely no use for making Internet payments.  The only authentication they accept is a text message to a UK 'phone number.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

And in future they're changing their website logon system to abandon the "memorable data" option, forcing you either to have a UK mobile 'phone or the card reader.

Actually Oxx, this has not been confirmed yet. Whilst I am aware that 'Verified by Visa' OTPs can only be sent to a UK phone, it might not be true in the case of on-line banking.

It is an issue I have taken up with NBS and I shall report my findings in due course.

Sit tight, I'll let you all know.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Actually Oxx, this has not been confirmed yet.

It has, it's on the website at the login page. The use of memorable data as login is being discontinued in favour of using the card reader or a OTP sent to your mobile phone.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

It has, it's on the website at the login page. The use of memorable data as login is being discontinued in favour of using the card reader or a OTP sent to your mobile phone.

I think not - this is the login page 2 minutes ago.....

image.png.ac80e9d4e716c4b3b0e9a2afb52e505a.png

And if you choose "Log in using my card reader", as you'd expect, it's not mentioned there either.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:
13 hours ago, Oxx said:

6 hours ago, Stocky said:
11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Actually Oxx, this has not been confirmed yet.

Read Oxx's sentence fully @Stocky He said 'forcing you to have a UK mobile phone'. That is not what it says on the NBS website, as you have actually said yourself. It simply says 'your mobile number'.

I have contacted NBS on this matter already, asking for some clarity on this issue. I was already on to this before Oxx started this topic.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, VBF said:

5 hours ago, VBF said:

I think not - this is the login page 2 minutes ago.....

image.png.ac80e9d4e716c4b3b0e9a2afb52e505a.png

And if you choose "Log in using my card reader", as you'd expect, it's not mentioned there either.

Read @Stocky post above again and also read NBS' webpage on this issue. It is going to happen soon.

You're jumping the gun a bit!

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/security/login-changes

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

First of all @Oxx this is not Nationwide lunacy, as you call it, at all. These are new security standards that being imposed on all UK banking institutes in order to reduce fraud. Particularly on-line fraud.

If you don't have card reader, then order one now. They are still free, as far as I know, and that will resolve your on-line banking issue.

As far as the on-line purchases are  concerned, if 'Verified by Visa' blocks a purchase, you can send a secure message to NBS and ask them to have the system bypassed. They can see on their system that you attempted the transaction and can inhibit the system for that transaction.

And I know this is true, because I've already done once it on a Lazada purchase, just to prove the point. Sure, I realize that it slows things down a bit, It's quite rare that a transaction must be made right now!

Learn to live with it, Oxx, because ranting about it isn't going to change anything.

Card readers are being phased out apparently.  The Cooperative's bank, SMILE internet banking arm have had card readers for donkey years. Around 2 months ago they notified everybody "that in line with many companies, and to be compliant with forthcoming regulation changes" card readers were to be phased out and any purchase will require you to enter a verification code (same as Thai banks do) that can be only be sent to a UK phone number or, importantly, via email.  The latter option no doubt being the most useful to overseas customers.

• Like 2

Found it:-

Untitled-1.jpg

and

Untitled-2.jpg

Looks like I will have to dig out the card reader.

Note - As indicated on the second page any UK bank card reader will generate the required codes.

EDIT The phone number field on personal data accepted a Thai number in the format 0066XXXXXXXXX (it did not like +66XXXXXXXXX)of course whether it actually works remains to be seen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Card readers are being phased out apparently.  The Cooperative's bank, SMILE internet banking arm have had card readers for donkey years. Around 2 months ago they notified everybody "that in line with many companies, and to be compliant with forthcoming regulation changes" card readers were to be phased out and any purchase will require you to enter a verification code (same as Thai banks do) that can be only be sent to a UK phone number or, importantly, via email.  The latter option no doubt being the most useful to overseas customers.

Interesting info. For sure the card readers have been around for at least 12 years,

But, thus far Nationwide have not indicated that they will be withdrawing them. We shall have to wait and see. Let's not add yet another layer of speculation!

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

EDIT The phone number field on personal data accepted a Thai number in the format 0066XXXXXXXXX (it did not like +66XXXXXXXXX)of course whether it actually works remains to be seen.

Actually, there seems to be a tech problem with this. I managed to get it to accept +66xxxxxxxxx, but when I revisited the site later it came up with 6666xxxxxxxxx. Go check yours. It might be the same.

I've been aware of this for some time, but in light of these latest developments, I have taken the matter up with NBS. Their techie geeks are looking into it for me.

I will report back when I hear from them.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Interesting info. For sure the card readers have been around for at least 12 years,

But, thus far Nationwide have not indicated that they will be withdrawing them. We shall have to wait and see. Let's not add yet another layer of speculation!

I was not speculating, just stating a fact that the Coop bank are withdrawing card readers. But still if you still don't understand the difference pls read below fyi

"We're smile. ... Soon, you'll be sent a verification code by text message or email to confirm your ... Read more about how we were the first UK internet bank."

To use the app, you’ll need to be registered for online banking and know your login details. If you are not already registered for online banking, you can easily register once you’ve downloaded the app.

Once you’ve downloaded the app you’ll be prompted to enter your online banking:

• Username
  • Password
  • 6-digit online banking security code

Next we’ll send you a verification code. You can choose for this to be sent to the mobile phone number or email address you have registered with us. You’ll then be prompted to enter the verification code. Never share this code with anyone.

Please note – the code you receive will be valid for one hour. If your code expires or you haven’t received it, you can request for us to resend it to your chosen device.

Once we’ve verified your identity we will ask you to create a 6-digit passnumber.

Edited by geoffbezoz
2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I was not speculating, just stating a fact that the Coop bank are withdrawing card readers. But still if you still don't understand the difference pls read below fyi

"We're smile. ... Soon, you'll be sent a verification code by text message or email to confirm your ... Read more about how we were the first UK internet bank."

To use the app, you’ll need to be registered for online banking and know your login details. If you are not already registered for online banking, you can easily register once you’ve downloaded the app.

Once you’ve downloaded the app you’ll be prompted to enter your online banking:

• Username
  • Password
  • 6-digit online banking security code

Next we’ll send you a verification code. You can choose for this to be sent to the mobile phone number or email address you have registered with us. You’ll then be prompted to enter the verification code. Never share this code with anyone.

Please note – the code you receive will be valid for one hour. If your code expires or you haven’t received it, you can request for us to resend it to your chosen device.

Once we’ve verified your identity we will ask you to create a 6-digit passnumber.

The topic, I believe, the Nationwide Building Society not the Coop Bank!

Just now, Moonlover said:

The topic, I believe, the Nationwide Building Society not the Coop Bank!

Correct but if you read my post and clearly understood it, which you apparently didn't. I was quoting an example that the Coop Smile bank is withdrawing card readers due to forthcoming changes in regulation.   Trying to help you is clearly a waste of time and frankly if you bank with Nationwide and that gives you problems then based on your responses to helpful posts you downright deserve it, call it Karma.  ????

I have a couple of UK bank accounts and a couple of Thai ones ,if i buy anything online i always use the Thai cards ,far easier , regularaly do online banking using the card reader (one is nationwide) they have been informing us for ages about the changes coming ,due to the new EU rulings ,why did you not read them ? they are on the start page ,anyway there is a lot of contraversy at the moment because so many people in the UK do not have a mobile phone ,but the rules do seem to say that you can have codes sent to an e mail ,this would be ok because even if you have a thai sim it will just come to your e mail address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I have a couple of UK bank accounts and a couple of Thai ones ,if i buy anything online i always use the Thai cards ,far easier , regularaly do online banking using the card reader (one is nationwide) they have been informing us for ages about the changes coming ,due to the new EU rulings ,why did you not read them ? they are on the start page ,anyway there is a lot of contraversy at the moment because so many people in the UK do not have a mobile phone ,but the rules do seem to say that you can have codes sent to an e mail ,this would be ok because even if you have a thai sim it will just come to your e mail address.

Thanks for that info saying it was a new EU ruling.  My Smile bank did not specify what prompted the changes, only that it was new regulation. From a practical point of view it seems a good idea as I never ever carried the card reader around with me, whereas receiving an SMS or email on my phone I carry always seems more convenient.

Edited by geoffbezoz
  • Like 1