BANGKOK
Oxx

Nationwide BS (UK) now useless

I've recently tried (and failed) to make a couple of purchases using my Nationwide debit and credit card.  They have a new security system that involves sending a text message to your mobile 'phone.  I've now been told that they are not able to send text messages to foreign 'phones, so I'm now unable to make Internet purchases using my Nationwide cards.

To add insult to injury they also blocked my credit card because I attempted to make a purchase.

And in future they're changing their website logon system to abandon the "memorable data" option, forcing you either to have a UK mobile 'phone or the card reader.

Any suggestions of any easy (and cheap) ways to get around Nationwide's lunacy?

where's your card reader ? can you get it mailed over, DHL I think last time I used it can do it in a few days for 35 USD, so whats that ? 30 GBP.... done

7 minutes ago, jastheace said:

where's your card reader ? can you get it mailed over, DHL I think last time I used it can do it in a few days for 35 USD, so whats that ? 30 GBP.... done

A card reader is absolutely no use for making Internet payments.  The only authentication they accept is a text message to a UK 'phone number.

Just now, Oxx said:

A card reader is absolutely no use for making Internet payments.  The only authentication they accept is a text message to a UK 'phone number.

Which you say you have so whats the problem ?

Posted (edited)

You might be able to use a VoIP service: https://www.voipfone.co.uk/prices_sms_text_packages.php

You can access SMS via a Web browser or even make and receive call using a softphone software on your mobile or pc. 

This is the first service I found so do your own research. 

Edited by Tayaout

46 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I think it is if you are creating a new payee ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

I already have a giffgaff SIM.  As far as I can see it doesn't allow text messages to Thailand.

Mine works fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

And in future they're changing their website logon system to abandon the "memorable data" option, forcing you either to have a UK mobile 'phone or the card reader.

Actually Oxx, this has not been confirmed yet. Whilst I am aware that 'Verified by Visa' OTPs can only be sent to a UK phone, it might not be true in the case of on-line banking.

It is an issue I have taken up with NBS and I shall report my findings in due course.

Sit tight, I'll let you all know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Actually Oxx, this has not been confirmed yet.

It has, it's on the website at the login page. The use of memorable data as login is being discontinued in favour of using the card reader or a OTP sent to your mobile phone.