BANGKOK
Oxx

Nationwide BS (UK) now useless

Posted (edited)

For @Oxx  - the email angle might still be your best option!

Yes, others have brought up about email hacking etc;

but here is another way:

1. hopefully you have a Smart phone...

for an Andriod, via Play Store; there is a free app, called:

SMS Backup+

Once Installed, have it automatically send( i.e. Forward) ALL your SMSs to your nominated email address.

The Action in the app, is called 'Auto backup...automatically BackUp SMS, MMS

The Verification Code you await from banking institutions etc; will be in the title line of the email message you receive 

In summary; you will now be receiving the Code by eMail, even on that same very phone that cannot receive the actual SMS

it works!!!

On my Samsungs, I have them all set to send all to a dedicated Gmail address.

Edited by tifino

15 minutes ago, tifino said:

For @Oxx  - the email angle might still be your best option!

Yes, others have brought up about email hacking etc;

but here is another way:

1. hopefully you have a Smart phone...

for an Andriod, via Play Store; there is a free app, called:

SMS Backup+

Once Installed, have it automatically send( i.e. Forward) ALL your SMSs to your nominated email address.

The Action in the app, is called 'Auto backup...automatically BackUp SMS, MMS

The Verification Code you await from banking institutions etc; will be in the title line of the email message you receive 

In summary; you will now be receiving the Code by eMail, even on that same very phone that cannot receive the actual SMS

it works!!!

On my Samsungs, I have them all set to send all to a dedicated Gmail address.

That does look like a good workaround. Thanks.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:32 PM, CharlieH said:

Get a UK sim and there is no issue, they have what they want and you can get what you need, problem solved.

Most phones are dual sim these days, I have a Thai sim amd UK sim in one phone. The UK number can be topped up etc and maintained online at minimal cost.

Would you mind telling me what Company the sim is with ? Thank you.

This post is not strictly relevant to NBS so the mods can delete it at their discretion.

I bank with Barclays and was getting very concerned about the necessity for having a UK phone number for receiving OTPs via SMS.  At the moment I use a mobile 'Pin Sentry' which is part of their online banking app.  Because of the almost total lack of hard information as to what would actually happen once the new rules were in place I decided to approach Barclays directly, which I did by secure email, which is available on their internet banking site - which you need a Pin Sentry - real or virtual- to access.

This is what i have been told:

1.  The new rules about OTPs will only apply to online purchases of value exceeding GBP30, made with the account debit card.

2.  Other transactions, such as money transfers, will be unaffected and will continue to use the mobile Pin Sentry, as before.

3.  In the event of the user not having a UK phone number it will still be possible to use the mobile Pin Sentry to make purchases in excess of the GBP30 limit.

Obviously, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we have to wait to see how things actually work out.

In the interim, I now have a GifGaff UK SIM and this appears to work OK in Thailand so i do now have a UK phone number if it turns out that I do need one after all.

3 minutes ago, doctormann said:

This post is not strictly relevant to NBS so the mods can delete it at their discretion.

I bank with Barclays and was getting very concerned about the necessity for having a UK phone number for receiving OTPs via SMS.  At the moment I use a mobile 'Pin Sentry' which is part of their online banking app.  Because of the almost total lack of hard information as to what would actually happen once the new rules were in place I decided to approach Barclays directly, which I did by secure email, which is available on their internet banking site - which you need a Pin Sentry - real or virtual- to access.

This is what i have been told:

1.  The new rules about OTPs will only apply to online purchases of value exceeding GBP30, made with the account debit card.

2.  Other transactions, such as money transfers, will be unaffected and will continue to use the mobile Pin Sentry, as before.

3.  In the event of the user not having a UK phone number it will still be possible to use the mobile Pin Sentry to make purchases in excess of the GBP30 limit.

Obviously, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we have to wait to see how things actually work out.

In the interim, I now have a GifGaff UK SIM and this appears to work OK in Thailand so i do now have a UK phone number if it turns out that I do need one after all.

OTP’s apply to all card transactions (over a certain value).... I have had 3 this week.

Interesting about the phone.  I was just in Thailand and by paying extra to ATT, I was able to use my existing old 3g flip top phone that has simple voice and text.  When I logged into a few of the websites, Etrade for example they wanted to send a text to my phone.  Now if I had a Thai phone/ or SIM that would not have worked as Etrade uses my phone of record.  I have heard of other institutions from other countries giving all sorts of problems with overseas contacts

What is "the card reader" referred to in this string?

16 minutes ago, Skyking said:

What is "the card reader" referred to in this string?

Try Googling “Nationwide card reader”......... you will find pictures and a full description.