Nationwide BS (UK) now useless

9 hours ago, elliss said:

Me too, recently I had letter from Nationwide,  posted to my daughters UK address. 

Reckon , i need to pay community poll tax , ouch ..

IT , Big Brother, knows all , soon..

Only the home owner pays the community charge, register on the electoral roll.

• Confused 2
On 8/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, Orton Rd said:

I'm glad the memorable data is going, could never remember it. Had a UK Tesco simm for years, just use it to send an sms to self every few months so it's not de activated and top it up once a year. Of course if the reader stops working you are stuffed, try to keep a spare.

I have my Thai phone number registered with Nationwide. I get OTPs on that no problem.

I did hear that the British banking system is going to upgrade their security and show the name of the account holder you send money to online as opposed to just sort code and account number. Bkk Bak, and others here, have been doing that for years.

14 hours ago, rickudon said:

Final bit - i have twice tried to send money to Transferwise, and each time Nationwide screwed up.

In what way did NBS screw up your remittances to TransferWise? I've been using this method for almost a year now. 22 transfers, all perfect.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, dabhand said:

Nationwide are also increasing their o/d rates from 11thNovember 2019. To 39.9% for most customers.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/07/nationwide-overdraft-changes/

Let's have a bit of clarity on this shall we. This is the rate for an unarranged overdraft.

An arranged overdraft is around 19% p/a according my latest statement.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Let's have a bit of clarity on this shall we. This is the rate for an unarranged overdraft.

An arranged overdraft is around 19% p/a according my latest statement.

Nope. The new rate is also for arranged overdrafts.

Maybe you need to read the article again..............

8 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Nope. The new rate is also for arranged overdrafts.

Maybe you need to read the article again..............

Ah thanks for that. To be honest I didn't even read it!

Thank goodness I have little need for their overdraft facilities.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2019 at 1:56 AM, Moonlover said:

A very good point. I've read on numerous occasions that folks use a friend's or relative's address with their banks whilst living abroad. This is contrary to all banks 'terms and conditions', which state that your registered address must be one that we can readily contact you. And could well preclude using 'mail forwarding services' as well.

Likewise with DWP. Most seem to get away with it, but getting caught out can have serious consequences. And it does happen.

There is, in fact an issue with putting a Thai 'phone number into NBS's website. You can put it in and think you've got it right. But if you go back and check again later, you may find that it has switched from +66XXXXXXXXX to 6666XXXXXXXXXX. I've raised this problem with them and they've got their techie geeks on the case.

used to have flexi plus £10 a month,no fee withdrawals,but started charging  so now transferwise,good and cheap

. "Most seem to get away with it, but getting caught out can have serious consequences. And it does happen."    Perhaps to PC or the usual bag of welfare payments...not to OAP it does not.  Not going further into this

1 hour ago, phka said:

Does all this mean that I can't book a flight using my nationwide debit card anymore

I had too much hassle booking flights/purchases from abroad with my nationwide debit card.

I now have a transferwise debit card , immediate clearance and hassle free , perfect

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

In what way did NBS screw up your remittances to TransferWise? I've been using this method for almost a year now. 22 transfers, all perfect.

This morning I tried twice unsuccessfully to remit to transferwise the only thing I did differently was choose the new 'open banking' option.Each time 'invalid account' came up as I tried to log in.I have contacted  Nationwide via secure message about this and await their reply..

On 8/2/2019 at 7:59 AM, Crossy said:

Found it:-

Untitled-1.jpg

and

Untitled-2.jpg

Looks like I will have to dig out the card reader.

Note - As indicated on the second page any UK bank card reader will generate the required codes.

EDIT The phone number field on personal data accepted a Thai number in the format 0066XXXXXXXXX (it did not like +66XXXXXXXXX)of course whether it actually works remains to be seen.

Interesting, when I put mine in (can't remember if I used the + sign) but it seemed to accept the 66 but when I review the number on record it shows as 6666xxxxxxxxxx.  Phoned up and queried it but the helpdesk could only say, "yes it does that with foreign numbers!!"  He had no idea if it would work or not!

14 minutes ago, gmac said:

Interesting, when I put mine in (can't remember if I used the + sign) but it seemed to accept the 66 but when I review the number on record it shows as 6666xxxxxxxxxx.  Phoned up and queried it but the helpdesk could only say, "yes it does that with foreign numbers!!"  He had no idea if it would work or not!

NWBS will not send a OTPW to a non UK number.

3 hours ago, gmac said:

That was very helpful of him! So at least I know that it's not just me being a techno numb skull. ????

I have actually taken up this problem with NBS via secure messaging and they're looking into it. (see my post #23 on P2)

I shall post their response when I hear back from them.

Although, actually its a bit of a moot point because apparently NBS will not able to send OTPs to foreign numbers anyway. ????

On 8/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, Oxx said:

I already have a giffgaff SIM.  As far as I can see it doesn't allow text messages to Thailand.

lol all uk sent sms send as normal and always free of charge to receive in Thailand and doubtless worldwide

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

What the hell is a card reader anyway ??

440px-Nationwide-CAP-reader.jpg

What is a card reader?

Your card reader provides an extra level of security when banking online. It uses your current account Visa debit card and your PIN to generate a unique eight-digit passcode which authorises log in and certain transactions. 

Edited by Stocky
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Chivas said:

so it needs wifi or sim card inserted ??

Yer 'aving a larf?

Seriously!  No, you insert your debit card and it reads the chip in your card, you enter your PIN number to activate, and then use it to generate 8 digit codes for login and for authenticating transactions.

Until card readers disappear a point to note. 

A couple of years ago I needed to use my reader card for the first time for ages. A really dim message came up on the screen saying something like " Replace the battery". I tried to unscrew the tiny screw that held the reader together but it was stuck. Tried oil - no good. Eventually someone advised me to go to the watch repair shop. The guy did the job and replaced the battery. Bank transaction completed. 

Worth a check. 

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, chash said:

Until card readers disappear a point to note. 

A couple of years ago I needed to use my reader card for the first time for ages. A really dim message came up on the screen saying something like " Replace the battery". I tried to unscrew the tiny screw that held the reader together but it was stuck. Tried oil - no good. Eventually someone advised me to go to the watch repair shop. The guy did the job and replaced the battery. Bank transaction completed. 

Worth a check. 

My "Old Man" has the same problems!

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Yer 'aving a larf?

Seriously!  No, you insert your debit card and it reads the chip in your card, you enter your PIN number to activate, and then use it to generate 8 digit codes for login and for authenticating transactions.

Yeah but wheres the "connection" to the website   Generate 8 digit codes from what exactly  ??  There simply has to be a connection between the Card Reader and Nationwide (or whoever)

Wherever it is its 25 years out of date as I have 6 uk bank accounts and never seen or had anything like that

• Confused 1
23 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

True, half the time NW put a stop on it for security reasons, but when you ask them why they say they cannot tell you- for security reasons

Correct ,  i tried booking flights @ good prices , so many times .

NW put a stop , missed the flights offer .

Nationwide no more ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Yeah but wheres the "connection" to the website   Generate 8 digit codes from what exactly  ??  There simply has to be a connection between the Card Reader and Nationwide (or whoever)

Wherever it is its 25 years out of date as I have 6 uk bank accounts and never seen or had anything like that

Tere is NO connection between the card reader and ANYTHING so no "simply has to be" about it! 

You could probably have found this without me if you'd actually looked on the NW site, or used a search engine however

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/security-centre/internet-banking-security/card-reader-and-security-questions 

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, davehowden said:

I can see a good market for my spare card readers coming soon 555

Had 3000 bht , for my spare card reader . Farlang had no UK address, to post to. 

Have ordered another , good earner , covered my poll tax payment .. 555

Edited by elliss