Nationwide BS (UK) now useless

5 hours ago, chash said:

Until card readers disappear a point to note. 

A couple of years ago I needed to use my reader card for the first time for ages. A really dim message came up on the screen saying something like " Replace the battery". I tried to unscrew the tiny screw that held the reader together but it was stuck. Tried oil - no good. Eventually someone advised me to go to the watch repair shop. The guy did the job and replaced the battery. Bank transaction completed. 

Worth a check. 

There is no need to unscrew anything to replace the battery, it's in a draw pulled out at the back on the bottom right

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, VBF said:

Tere is NO connection between the card reader and ANYTHING so no "simply has to be" about it! 

You could probably have found this without me if you'd actually looked on the NW site, or used a search engine however

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/security-centre/internet-banking-security/card-reader-and-security-questions 

lol nice jabbing at the keyboard

Why would I look at search engines. Its obviously some relic from the 90's which no progressive bank would use in 2019

Clearly it does something other than what I had expected. Card readers lol dear oh dear...points towards NW not trusting their own customers in reality

Edited by Chivas
1 minute ago, Chivas said:

lol nice jabbing at the keyboard

Why would I look at search engines. Its obviously some relic from the 90's which no progressive bank would use in 2019

Clearly it does something other than what I had expected. Card readers lol dear oh dear

Hmmmm..... jab....me? :whistling:

Whether we agree or not, it is what it is and it is still a secure solution partly because there is no connection between the CR and anything else, plus one can use 1 reader with different banks.

Change is not always progress

Yeah i keep my uk number in a spare phone. one of my banks told me the other day i was going to lose access to their app unless I re verified with my uk phone number, it was easily solved. its just big brother trying to tell you how to live your life. Never change your phone number on a uk bank account website either this can lead to all sorts of problems. i had that experience. 

yep similar issues with halifax.

You need to know your account balance to get passed the verification step in order to check your account balance, <deleted>.

Solution, please visit your nearest branch.

Also had issues this week with NS&I, could not do anything over phone or online so they asked me to post some paper forms to them, since discovered apparently my signature has changed since I opened the account when I was a kid 30 years ago so now back to square one.

10 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

yep similar issues with halifax.

You need to know your account balance to get passed the verification step in order to check your account balance, <deleted>.

Solution, please visit your nearest branch.

Also had issues this week with NS&I, could not do anything over phone or online so they asked me to post some paper forms to them, since discovered apparently my signature has changed since I opened the account when I was a kid 30 years ago so now back to square one.

I have Halifax and access no issue with the app, can do anything via that. To access that it's just my fingerprint (or pass codes).

As well as a NW account (that is currently still working - fortunately, but for how long?) I also have a Bank of Scotland one...  They require telephone authorisation for many activities, but they do accept a Thai mobile number.  

Rather than sending a SMS code to your telephone, which you type into the web-page like most organisations require, BoS show you a code on the web-page which you need to enter (or speak - clearly) into your phone when they auto-call you..  Seems to work OK, and it gives me a back-up.

Thinking ahead I will need to renew my UK passport in Bangkok next year and my only UK card is a NW debit card.Hopefully procedures will be clearer by then but still a worry.I've heard it is possible for a friend or agent (for a fee) to use their UK card to pay on your behalf is this correct?

13 minutes ago, chang50 said:

Thinking ahead I will need to renew my UK passport in Bangkok next year and my only UK card is a NW debit card.Hopefully procedures will be clearer by then but still a worry.I've heard it is possible for a friend or agent (for a fee) to use their UK card to pay on your behalf is this correct?

Anyone can pay on your behalf..... have a look at the website for the card payment authority.

First Direct (HSBC) have just locked me out of my account, need secure key, don't have card to put in the reader.

Natwest have just emailed me, you will need a phone number to use your account from September for OTP security.

It's bloody madness.

I only use them to transfer money from my UK accounts to Transferwise account.

No need for any extra security.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

No need for any extra security.

A lot of people would disagree with that (I know your context was just for you :wink:).

Because of all the bank fraud/phising going on and the banks starting to be held accountable it is no surprise that they are trying to make things harder for that to happen.

Although unfortunate for you it should make things more secure for most people and arguably should be a positive step. They have been flagging the move for many months now.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, topt said:

A lot of people would disagree with that (I know your context was just for you :wink:).

Because of all the bank fraud/phising going on and the banks starting to be held accountable it is no surprise that they are trying to make things harder for that to happen.

Although unfortunate for you it should make things more secure for most people and arguably should be a positive step. They have been flagging the move for many months now.

I already can only transfer money from my mobile app, (online blocked a while back) to payees already in my account.

My mobile app only works on my registered phone, and needs my fingerprint to work.

If they hacked into my phone, all they could do is transfer money to my Transferwise account.

You don't think that's security enough?

Edited by BritManToo
4 hours ago, chang50 said:

The changes that are being introduced are primarily aimed at preventing on-line fraud. When applying for your passport you sign a payment authorization permitting HMPO to debit your account and send it with your application. That will not be affected at all by these changes.

No need to worry about that.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You don't think that's security enough?

You miss part of my point that you are only looking at how it affects you. For example I do not use my mobile for banking at all. OTPs can be a pain but if it reduces overall fraud then personally I think it is a good thing. 

• Like 1

First, for Ellis who told me to use a debit card and Transfer wise - that is exactly what i was trying to do! First time they stopped it as a 'suspicious activity', second time, although authorised by debit card and card reader, just didn't make payment to transferwise. I complained by their message service (one good thing with Nationwide), and got message asking for more information, which i provided. No reply, they just deleted the original messages!

Second, the Thai telephone number. I sent message complaining about changing 00 to 66, got automated reply telling me to change the number at the change personal information page ..... exactly what i had done, TWICE. I complained again, rather nastily, and this time got an apologetic human reply, saying that i was right and that she had manually edited the number - which now appears to be correct.

I do hope that this will all work, as i depend on my Nationwide account to feed transferwise and pay my credit card. If it doesn't work, looks like back to old fashioned swift transfers ....... which i wanted to avoid. Assuming i can set them up now ..........

As Britmantoo says, this new security is a nightmare for those of us spending most of our time here. Also, as said, many of us do not use modern phones so apps may not work (apart from the fact that app may not be available for download in Thailand)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Oxx said:

It looks like Cooperative Bank is going down the same shithole.

Just received an email (and only 2 weeks' notice of the changes):

So, they are saying that they can send you the verification code by email?  Surely, you don't need a UK phone number for that, or am I missing something here?

Your post also implies that verification via a card reader will no longer be available.  What about the banking app that you presumably already have on your phone?  I'm thinking along the lines of what Barclays do - I have a phone app that includes a virtual card reader, or 'Pin Sentry' as they call it.  Have Co-op mentioned anything like that?

I have heard nothing from Barclays but I'm fully expecting the same sh*t from them and probably very soon.

This whole security thing is getting OTT.  I'm all in favour of a secure system, of course, but when it becomes so secure that it's almost unusable it all gets a bit silly!

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Correct.  The email gives advice on how to recycle your card reader.

This is taken from your original post:

' When using online banking we will send you a verification code by text message or email to:

UK mobile number: We need a UK mobile number'

So, can they send you the verification code by email or not?  If they can then there is really no problem in receiving the code.  They would need a phone number to send SMS but not for email.  I'm confused!

On 8/7/2019 at 4:10 PM, ivor bigun said:

It was reported in the British papers that many older people in the uk dont have mobile phones ,i believe you can have codes sent to an e msil instead if you wish , is that right.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not with Nationwide - see my #38, Page 3

Edited by VBF
1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Actually i never use my card to buy anything only transfer money ,i have a card reader so ok for that,if i purchase anything online i just use my Thai bank card ,thanks anyway

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Welcome - I was referring to the conversation I had with NW in which they said emailing codes (the ones that you and I get on our card readers in order to login)  wasn't going to be an option.  

This recent article (link) may be relevant to this conversation.

May not help many people in Thailand (or indeed anywhere in the world outside UK) but will at least explain that the "secure customer authorisation" rules which come into force in September are a legal requirement for UK banks. It's just that some implement them differently from others.

In fact if you read the paragraph starting "It means two of three of the following will be required from 14 September......." it appears that an email authorisation is not contained within the rules.

However it then goes on to say that with some banks, customers "could choose to receive a one-time passcode over email......"

So, as I said, it appears to be up to individual banks, and Nationwide (the subject of this thread) are NOT allowing the email option - pity, but it is what it is.

I have actually sent NW a secure message (attached) requesting that an email is allowed.  Maybe if a few more people asked, they might consider it.

NW message.txt

Edited by VBF