Sisaket Immigration Do Not Require TM30 Reports

SantiSuk

I visited Sisaket Immigration today to file my 90 Day Report. Before doing so I inquired about their practice as regards the filing of TM30 reports.

I told them that I had lived at the same house in Amphur Kantharalak for more than 10 years, which is owned by my Thai wife (financed by me). I have never asked her to file a TM30 report as house owner/landlord, notifying immigration that a foreigner (me) had returned to stay there after a visit to my UK home country (or any other country), to another province or to another part of Sisaket. I have never been asked by Sisaket immigration to ensure my wife files such reports and I know that the office would have been aware of my foreign travels and some of my domestic travels via hotel TM30 reports. I said I was aware that immigration law had seemed to call for such a report (filed within 24 hours of arrival) but I assumed that in the past Sisaket immigration had not insisted on this. I said I was also aware that some immigration offices are now insisting on house owners/landlords filing TM30 reports, but that this was not universally applied form office to office

So, had Sisaket immigration changed its policy in any regard towards TM30 reports?

I was told that a foreigner living in Sisaket and registered with Sisaket Immigration office via the issue of visas / issue of visa extensions does not need to have their house owner or landlord make TM30 reports on returning from any location (including from abroad) to their usual place of abode. Sisaket immigration would pick up and record returns from abroad from TM6 reports and similar at point of entry and would also be alerted to other stays away from home base if hotels or other parties filed TM30s. 90 Day reports gave them sufficient information about a foreigners continued presence at their home base. There was a vague reference to stays away maybe being of interest to immigration at 90 Day reporting time but this was said rather casually with no specific demands attached.

So, good news - Sisaket is continuing with it's relatively relaxed approach to the formalities of reporting. I think though that they do require TM30 reports of house owners / landlords if other foreigners than those already known to them stay within Sisaket. I say that because my initial raising of the subject was incorrectly described by me - "Do I need to file a TM30?" which elicited a response that if I wanted to report a foreigner staying at my house then yes I should file.

They would not be drawn on whether there might be a change to policy in future (more of a shoulder shrug than a refusal to be drawn) but I gained no impression that this was likely in the foreseeable future. Of course things can change if senior staff change.

My discussion was with a lady officer, Kanchanat Niratpai who I think is relatively senior within the office.

I also asked if they were interested in checking the continuation of the 800,000 baht bank deposit that underwrites my retirement extension. They said not interested, as my last extension had been made before 1 March 2019, the date of implementation of the new requirements. They will check at the first 90 Day report after my next extension.

Thanks for that Santi.

Does the 90 Day Report proof of funds entail another letter from the bank or is it just and updated Passbook that's required??

FYI did a 90 Day Report early May at the Ubon city Immigration post ie at the University. They didn't ask for proof of funds

4 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Just an up to date passbook Patriot. A letter from the bank would not show transactions and I think they want to see activity as well as latest balance.

Hi guys,

As usual Samui Immigration office differs.....

At my last extension in June I asked if I needed to bring proof of 800K at my next 90 day report.

They said they wanted a letter from the bank and statements to cover the entire period from my extension until my 90 day report...I have been back to the UK since the extension so my 90 day report will be some 120 days from the extension date.

They said they did not want to see the bank book.....I guess that makes sense because if you do not update your bankbook regularly (I don't) it often does not show every transaction....so in theory you might have dipped below the 800K threshold at some point.

I bank with KTB so can't speak about what happens when you update the bank book at other banks?

Just saying!

Thanks for the heads up 666. I was just guessing when I answered Patriot, as usually in the past Sisaket have asked for a letter within one day current and to see the bankbook updated, which I thought had previously been pretty standard for all offices. I assumed the same would apply at the time they now want to confirm that the deposit has been maintained above the relevant required level of ThB 400,000 / ThB 800,000

In the light of your Samui experience I would encourage anyone visiting their immigration office at their first 90 Day report after the first of their visa marriage/retirement extensions (that is supported by the bank deposit method) that falls after 1-Mar-19 - to either make sure they build in margin for meeting local immigration requirements (ie don't do it on the last deadline date) or make pre-enquiries at your immigration office or ask on ThaiVisa well ahead for local expat knowledge.

[I'm not myself aware of bankbooks that don't show every transaction, even if updated irregularly, although it's true that some banks ATMs are capable of screwing up the printing (like by overprinting) and necessitating a visit to a bank counter to sort it out]

^ I have had a “consolidated transaction” in a Bangkok Bank book that I did not update for about 6 months, so that would probably have been around 20 transactions in one.

8 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Just an up to date passbook Patriot. A letter from the bank would not show transactions and I think they want to see activity as well as latest balance.

My 800K account I never touch. The last "Retirement" Visa extension I made a small deposit  to show a transaction. Then immediately updated the Passbook before acquiring the letter. I'll see what they insist on in a couple of months and revert.

Luckily I only live 15 minutes from the centre of Ubon!!

My 800K account I never touch. The last "Retirement" Visa extension I made a small deposit  to show a transaction. Then immediately updated the Passbook before acquiring the letter. I'll see what they insist on in a couple of months and revert.
Luckily I only live 15 minutes from the centre of Ubon!!

Do they need to see movement (living expenses) coming in & out of this sum???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Do they need to see movement (living expenses) coming in & out of this sum???

Hi Dilli..

No. Now apparently not.

A couple of years ago the senior officer (this was at Sirindorn Office) wondered what I had done for "living", suspicious that I had some sort of employment in Thailand. I just showed him my passbook from my day-to-day account. He was suspicious even though I was paying another 3,900 baht for a multiple-entry visa. Hmmm!!!

Last extension ie July, again at Sirindorn it was suggested that one does what I have always done, just use one account for the 800+K, to which the "letter" pertains, and leave it untouched.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:13 AM, SantiSuk said:

I also asked if they were interested in checking the continuation of the 800,000 baht bank deposit that underwrites my retirement extension. They said not interested, as my last extension had been made before 1 March 2019, the date of implementation of the new requirements. They will check at the first 90 Day report after my next extension.

90 day reports and extension dates don't necessarily line up.  So what if you next 90 day is a month or some other amount of time short of your extension date?  I think if they asked you to come back 3 months later to prove you kept the 800K it would have nothing to do with your next 90 day reporting date.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

90 day reports and extension dates don't necessarily line up.  So what if you next 90 day is a month or some other amount of time short of your extension date?  I think if they asked you to come back 3 months later to prove you kept the 800K it would have nothing to do with your next 90 day reporting date.

Chicken and Egg!!!!

Just be safe and go for the earlier option everytime.

You'd definitely need the letter and update for the extension irrespective of the 90 Day Report requirements.

It's a flipping pain ... and for what conceivable benefit to anyone .. apart from the banks!!

Chicken and Egg!!!!
Just be safe and go for the earlier option everytime.
You'd definitely need the letter and update for the extension irrespective of the 90 Day Report requirements.
It's a flipping pain ... and for what conceivable benefit to anyone .. apart from the banks!!

There goes another forest and it gives some (un-necessary) work.

Hold on folks. We don't yet know that Sisaket Immigration, which is the topic of this thread, actually requires a new bank letter at subsequent 90 Day report time (or whenever else they choose to view post extension movements on your 800 or 400k deposit). It is possible - though I'd guess not probable - that they only need to see the updated passbook (whatever rational arguments might be posited by analytical westerner ThaiV members as to why they should require a bank letter, given the scope for bank passbooks to contain consolidated transactions or over-printing errors)

A danger that lack of clarity creeps in with those from other provinces chipping in with the practices adopted by their own immigration offices. I'd prefer to keep this as an advice to Sisaket expats. There are threads on Ubon TM30s practice and some other provinces already existing on the Isaan forum.

5 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Hold on folks. We don't yet know that Sisaket Immigration, which is the topic of this thread, actually requires a new bank letter at subsequent 90 Day report time (or whenever else they choose to view post extension movements on your 800 or 400k deposit). It is possible - though I'd guess not probable - that they only need to see the updated passbook (whatever rational arguments might be posited by analytical westerner ThaiV members as to why they should require a bank letter, given the scope for bank passbooks to contain consolidated transactions or over-printing errors)

A danger that lack of clarity creeps in with those from other provinces chipping in with the practices adopted by their own immigration offices. I'd prefer to keep this as an advice to Sisaket expats. There are threads on Ubon TM30s practice and some other provinces already existing on the Isaan forum.

Yes; I, as a culprit, have to agree with you. The disparity bewteeen Provinces' Immigration offices is a head scratcher - rather like Arsenal's apparent lack of spending on decent central defenders

• 4 months later...

UPDATE IN MID DECEMBER 2019

Annual renewal

I renewed my annual visa extension (retirement) yesterday at Sisaket immigration. No surprises/changes in requirements in relation to the extension itself [except for a minor one - Note 1]. The immigration officer volunteered the information that at my next 90 day visit I would be required to show a bank letter (dated on the day or previous day's closing) for the same account I had been using to demonstrate 800,000 baht of deposited funds, together with the pass book updated on the day of the immigration office visit [Note 2]; in other words the same verification procedures as at the date of extension renewal itself - and another set of bank fees for those who have to pay them. On questioning she confirmed that there is no problem withdrawing funds from such account as long as the balance has never fallen below 800,000 in the period between extension renewal and the 90 day visit [Note 3]

TM 30 reporting by your property owner on your return from a stay-away

At my request the immigration officer (same lady captain I spoke to a few months ago) confirmed that Sisaket Immigration continue to not require such reports.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note 1: actually there was a small change. Sisaket Immigration are now charging 40 baht for doing the copying and processing (which they have not done in recent years in my experience). I don't resent this given that they don't require the applicant to do any form filling or bring any copies - other than of the thai spouse's ID card where relevant. It's a minor amount and removes some of the burden on the applicant.

Note 2: if the account you are using does not have a passbook then presumably you will need a certificated statement of transactions from your bank for the period since extension renewal. If,  like at my bank, your passbook only records the date of the last transaction when updated and does not show the date of update this means you will need to make a small deposit first before updating (and possibly pay a small fee for so depositing) so that the passbook records the balance as updated on the date of your immigration office visit.

Note 3: the account I myself use is and always has been a relatively active savings account with at least 4 transactions a month. I have noticed that my more active current/ATM account, which might have as many as 10 transactions a month, when updated for several months is at risk of being  updated with a series of transactions in total, rather than transaction by transaction - so showing the total of all credits for say the last 4 months and the total of all debits. Worth watching out for this and getting a more regular passbook update if you use a highly trafficked account as your 800,000 verification account. That or check the passbook for aggregated postings on the day of your immigration visit and get a certificated statement of all transactions if required

Thanks for these infos.

I myself will apply for a retirement extension at Sisaket in February.

I had set up a fixed account for the 800k, but if they want me to show the 800k 3 months later on the SAME account, I will have to check for the expiration date of this fixed account, which may occur before that...and then the bank will close the fixed account and transfer the money to another one, with a different number.

Otherwise, can you confirm that they require 2 months of seasoning, and not 3?

19 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thanks for these infos.

I myself will apply for a retirement extension at Sisaket in February.

I had set up a fixed account for the 800k, but if they want me to show the 800k 3 months later on the SAME account, I will have to check for the expiration date of this fixed account, which may occur before that...and then the bank will close the fixed account and transfer the money to another one, with a different number.

Otherwise, can you confirm that they require 2 months of seasoning, and not 3?

I don't know, sorry. When the 800k rule became relevant to me I (unusually for expats here I guess) already had an account that had contained more than 800k in it for a few years, so there would have been no risk for me to be concerned about.

I did have a quick look by googling "seasoning extension thatvisa.com ubonjoe" and the first search result reference seemed to be saying that Chiang Mai and Nong Khai were requiring 3 months seasoning when the rules clearly (to those posters) required only 2.

Suggest you either continue looking through those google search results, PM ubonjoe (who may not know Sisaket's requirements anyway) or get a Thai speaker to call the Sisaket immigration office or visit the office. I recognise that the last is a pain since I remember that you are 55km from that office; I'm about 50km away myself.

2 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Suggest you either continue looking through those google search results, PM ubonjoe (who may not know Sisaket's requirements anyway) or get a Thai speaker to call the Sisaket immigration office or visit the office. I recognise that the last is a pain since I remember that you are 55km from that office; I'm about 50km away myself.

Yes I will soon pay a visit to the immigration office, bank books in hand, to clarify everything...there are so many requests, and so many variations from one place to another that you can never be sure...

On 8/3/2019 at 6:18 AM, rwill said:

A bit late for me to be responding to an August 2019 question, but I'll put an answer here for posterity/any future reviewers.

As far as I know, based on my experience with Sisaket Immigration office, your 90 day reporting date is reset to 3 months from the date that you visited immigration and obtained an extension so your issue would not arise if that is the policy followed by your immigration office.

[My extension was due to be reissued on 4 January 2020. My 90 day report was due by 26 December 2019. I visited Immigration on 19 December 2019. My new extension runs until 4 January 2021 (you don't lose days on your visa/extension by doing the renewal early). My next 90 day report is 90 days after 25 December 2019 - ie 17 March 2020 and a notification clipped into my passport along with my 90 day report notification slip says "Upon approval, the deposited money must remain in the bank for a period of 3 months, not less than 800,000 baht. Then you must show the deposit account again on 17 Mar 20"]

Archived