Lifeguards arrive at Phuket’s Surin Beach

webfact

Lifeguards arrive at Phuket’s Surin Beach

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1564655366_1-org.jpg

The lifeguards began patrolling Surin Beach today (Aug 1). Photo: Cherng Talay OrBorTor

PHUKET: Long-awaited experienced, qualified lifeguards arrived at Surin Beach this morning (Aug 1) to start patrolling the surf in the hope of preventing swimmers drowning at the popular tourist beach.

“The lifeguards will be on the beach from 8:30am to 6:30pm daily. They are ready to serve tourists at Surin Beach every day,” MaAnn Samran, Chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), told The Phuket News today.

“Five lifeguards will be on standby at three points on the beach, and a chief lifeguard will move around these three points,” he said.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/lifeguards-arrive-at-phuket-surin-beach-72355.php#GVwsQHymFyPuOzwY.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-02

The lifeguards will continue to be hired under monthly contracts until the Cherng Talay OrBorTor is allowed to offer a contract for full-time lifeguards as the issue is now currently embroiled in a convoluted history of claims, counterclaims and accusations of malfeasance – and the death of a Hong Kong British tourist at the beach last month while there were no lifeguards on duty.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/lifeguards-arrive-at-phuket-surin-beach-72355.php#VOu7UgxMouuUocfO.99

Having them on the beach is better than nothing, although given this quote from the article. It is still going to be a roller coaster ride, to see if they actually stay. My God 

2 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

The lifeguards will continue to be hired under monthly contracts until the Cherng Talay OrBorTor is allowed to offer a contract for full-time lifeguards as the issue is now currently embroiled in a convoluted history of claims, counterclaims and accusations of malfeasance – and the death of a Hong Kong British tourist at the beach last month while there were no lifeguards on duty.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/lifeguards-arrive-at-phuket-surin-beach-72355.php#VOu7UgxMouuUocfO.99

Having them on the beach is better than nothing, although given this quote from the article. It is still going to be a roller coaster ride, to see if they actually stay. My God 

They'll stay if they get paid 

2 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

What happened to the uniforms, equipment and funding Surf Lifesaving Australia gave them just last month?

The lifeguards probably have to pay or rent the gear themselves otherwise they don't get it.

SLA must be very naive if they gave money to these crooks.

I gave money to community groups in Oz years ago. I would be furious if I discovered SLA sent the money to Thailand.

Thai officials in resort towns are super rich. They would have far more money than Australian lifesaver associations.

Unfortunately Australians are too generous for their own good.

Don't get me started on the aid scandal in Phuket after the 2004 tsunami.

Archived