BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Minister's speed proposal stuns Thailand: Collision at 120 kmph same as falling 19 stories, says media

Minister's speed proposal stuns Thailand: Collision at 120 kmph same as falling 19 stories, says media

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Influential media Thai Rath has said that Thai society has been "stunned" by proposals from the transport minister to increase speeds up to 120 kilometer per hour on roads of four lanes and up. 

Saksayam Chidchob - whose family run a Moto GP racetrack in Buriram - thinks higher speeds will help traffic flow. 

Thai Rath said he also wants to stop and fine people for only going 80 kmph in the right outside lane. 

They said that studies showed unequivocally that speed kills. 

Speed was seen as a contributing factor in 73% of all accidents, they said citing various studies and two out of every three deaths could be put down to speeding. 

In a piece warning Thais about speeding they said that having a collision at 120 kmph was the same as falling to the ground from 19 stories up. 

They gave details about braking distances and reaction times to inform the public. 

Thaivisa notes that in more developed countries such data would form part of stringent driving tests, conspicuous by their absence in Thailand. 

Surviving an accident at 120 kmph was difficult, they said. 

They said that Saksayam's proposals had made Thai society "jang ngang" - dazed or stunned. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-02

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

proposals from the transport minister to increase speeds up to 120 kilometer per hour

thais cannot manage the current speed limits, much less higher ones

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Saksayam Chidchob - whose family run a Moto GP racetrack in Buriram - thinks higher speeds will help traffic flow. 

Thai roads are like one big racetrack, but without rules. 

Collisions are caused by bad driving; too fast for conditions, dangerous maneuvers, falling asleep, drunk driving, etc. These types of accidents will happen at any speed. Trying to keep people falling from "only" 14 stories (90k/h) is no solution at all. 

39 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Speed doesn't kill. Idiotic driving does.

Idiots driving at higher speeds kills even more.

The only sensible part of the whole proposal is the one to fine drivers who hog the right hand lane at slow speeds, causing people to overtake on the inside lane. The rest is just madness for a country with such appalling road statistics.

18 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

If I hit a brick wall at 10 kms per hr not much damage if I hit a wall at 150 kms per hr probably death kills more than speed or at least the sudden stop.

...and who exactly is ThaiRath the new arbiter of Thailand and who exactly are the Thai society who have been or should be stunned.

What a complete load of tosh.

Does anybody know of anyone that has had a legitimate speeding fine under the current law ?

3 minutes ago, les Dennis said:

Does anybody know of anyone that has had a legitimate speeding fine under the current law ?

2 tickets for speeding at radar control (500b) and once stopped for the same reasons (400 b and a coke offered).

120 km/h is a good speed on 4-lane highways

45 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

And piss poor road construction. What Thai moron decided it was safe to put a U-turn on a highway?

I really wish we could ride motor bikes of 400 CC up on motorways...  Cannot work out why this is not applied..

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They said that studies showed unequivocally that speed kills. 

i have not had my coffee yet so i will just stare at the screen.

33 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If I hit a brick wall at 10 kms per hr not much damage if I hit a wall at 150 kms per hr probably death kills more than speed or at least the sudden stop.

Safe driving can be done at higher speeds, the Autobahn is a prime example. The problem is that Thai's are not trained or mentally equipped to do so.

There is a simple reason for this bizarre proposal. 

It is nothing more than a troll by Saksayam Chidchob who is a new minister in town and needs a "look at me" press announcement to get some media attention.

The media (Thai Rath) sure took it, hook line and sinker.