Minister's speed proposal stuns Thailand: Collision at 120 kmph same as falling 19 stories, says media

webfact

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

There is a simple reason for this bizarre proposal. 

It is nothing more than a troll by Saksayam Chidchob who is a new minister in town and needs a "look at me" press announcement to get some media attention.

The media (Thai Rath) sure took it, hook line and sinker. 

Just wondering what specific aligned value and high vale long-term insights he brings to the minister job or is he automatically qualified for the position by having the chinchob name?

Here’s my observation about Thai driving - people do not drive as part of a system but strictly as individuals with no regard to conditions and others around them...

people drive at at their own speed regardless what the speed limit is...

no one goes the speed limit (except me) but half way below and half above....this creates chaos as drivers are constantly passing slower ones and trying to get out of the way of faster ones....

the whole point of a speed limit is everyone I meaning everyone is driving the same speed so you have no extreme variability of speed on the road like one finds in Thailand

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just wondering what specific aligned value and high vale long-term insights he brings to the minister job or is he automatically qualified for the position by having the chinchob name?

No nothing to do with name. He was a leading member of the Bhumjaithai Party and crossed over to the dark side by joining with Palang Pracharat Party and voted for Prayut to become Prime Minister.

Of course he had to be rewarded and was given the job of Ministry of Transport. Having enough brains to do the job is not important.

I actually think it is a good idea. Why? Because most people go that fast anyway. The speeds of 80 or 90 kph only mean an inane amount of tickets. My wife and I are very safe drivers. Yet, between us we have gotten about 30 tickets within just the past 6 months. Threw all of them in the bin. But, still it is silly. It will not encourage people to go faster. It just allows people to travel at the speed they already travel at, legally. 120 kph on a divided, four lane highway is totally safe. Assuming the driver is paying attention! 

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If I hit a brick wall at 10 kms per hr not much damage if I hit a wall at 150 kms per hr probably death kills more than speed or at least the sudden stop.

I think his point is that you'd be an idiot to drive into a brick wall in the first place... 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I actually think it is a good idea. Why? Because most people go that fast anyway. The speeds of 80 or 90 kph only mean an inane amount of tickets. My wife and I are very safe drivers. Yet, between us we have gotten about 30 tickets within just the past 6 months. Threw all of them in the bin.

Will they have to be paid before you can pay next years road tax ?

3 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Does anybody know of anyone that has had a legitimate speeding fine under the current law ?

I have from a speed camera on the toll road (highway 7).  Though I try to go with the flow, I have slowed down since and can't remain in the right lane too much or will block the speeders.

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Will they have to be paid before you can pay next years road tax ?

Nope. I hear they are working on a system. My guess is it will be years, until they have a centralized databank. For now, I will take full advantage of the inane laws. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I actually think it is a good idea. Why? Because most people go that fast anyway. The speeds of 80 or 90 kph only mean an inane amount of tickets. My wife and I are very safe drivers. Yet, between us we have gotten about 30 tickets within just the past 6 months. Threw all of them in the bin. But, still it is silly. It will not encourage people to go faster. It just allows people to travel at the speed they already travel at, legally. 120 kph on a divided, four lane highway is totally safe. Assuming the driver is paying attention! 

Here's a twist, a couple of local folks in my extended family have their own philosophy on the point, they get in their cars then drive as fast as they possibly can and regardless of traffic density, corners, etc etc., so that you get to the destination as quickly as possible therefore less risk. And other family members refuse to get in their vehicles.

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Here's a twist, a couple of local folks in my extended family have their own philosophy on the point, they get in their cars then drive as fast as they possibly can and regardless of traffic density, corners, etc etc., so that you get to the destination as quickly as possible therefore less risk. And other family members refuse to get in their vehicles.

I used to have a rather intelligent friend who refused to wear a seat belt. She claimed they did more harm that good. I asked her if she was aware of what it meant to be a human projectile. She just gave me a look. 

14 minutes ago, Docno said:

I think his point is that you'd be an idiot to drive into a brick wall in the first place... 

So when a kid chases a ball onto the road and I have the choice of taking him out or hitting the brick wall I will gladly choose to be an idiot as you describe it but you can choose to not be an idiot and take the kids life just to feel better about not being an idiot and that is the point I make!

OMG, a collection of experts; there must be a nest somewhere.

Driving fast (while not drunk, alert, considerate, can anticipate scenarios) and brainless racing are two wildly different things - at any speed. Speed is not the killer; idiocy is.

The 19 stories fall is one from the propaganda apples and oranges department: it's a scary image meant to make a point, and nothing more. That impact in a reasonable-sized car, with safety belts and all the rest, plus a large helping of good luck, might just see you alive and bruised, while jumping from anything above 7th floor unprotected is likely death.

Thai Rath said he also wants to stop and fine people for only going 80 kmph in the right outside lane. 

Oh yes, please do it! It drives me crazy how so many folks just stay on that lane forever and don't even know that they're doing something wrong.

These people should be executed and their vehicles destroyed and shredded. 

16 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

OMG, a collection of experts; there must be a nest somewhere

You must know where the nest is because you seem to be in it with the rest of us.Speed kills. lt's definately a major contributing factor to the death toll.If you only reduced the speed at which people travel to 50 kph the death toll is reduced it's a fact.I'm not talking about reducing the speed limit but the actual speed.Idiocy is people who say speed doesn't contribute to the death toll and does in fact kill.

21 minutes ago, albertik said:

If driving at 120KPH is equivalent to a 19 story fall;  Then what I want to know is;   Driving at 90 KPH is equivalent to a fall from how many stories?

If it's any higher than 8 then it doesn't make a difference what speed you drive. Even from 4 storeys its almost certain you would die.

No Joking ... I have frequently driven to Bangkok from Vientiane, you cant help edge your speed up on some sections where the road is quite straight and few side roads etc. ... everybody does it ... I got up to 140 at one stage overtaking an Orange Crush (Bus) but as I was slowing down, the Police pulled me over ... here we go I thought ... low and behold, the Police officer said that I was clicked at 130kph, can I please keep the speed down to 120 kph as we don't mind you doing that speed but please slow down in residential areas and road junctions ... Krup Krup I said and off I went, no fine just a warning .... drove slow for a while as I was stunned at what happened and what was said ... so it seems to me that this Minister guy is only suggesting to go along with what is already happening out there ... speed wise !

Archived