BANGKOK
webfact

Minister's speed proposal stuns Thailand: Collision at 120 kmph same as falling 19 stories, says media

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I take it you don't know what Thai Rath is then?

Media crap.

6 minutes ago, essox essox said:

overtake on the left side of a vehicle IS CALLED UNDERTAKING....which IS ILLIGAL HERE......but is done every hour of every day of every week and months.......

Not for motorcycles.

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

There is a simple reason for this bizarre proposal. 

It is nothing more than a troll by Saksayam Chidchob who is a new minister in town and needs a "look at me" press announcement to get some media attention.

The media (Thai Rath) sure took it, hook line and sinker. 

Just wondering what specific aligned value and high vale long-term insights he brings to the minister job or is he automatically qualified for the position by having the chinchob name?

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just wondering what specific aligned value and high vale long-term insights he brings to the minister job or is he automatically qualified for the position by having the chinchob name?

No nothing to do with name. He was a leading member of the Bhumjaithai Party and crossed over to the dark side by joining with Palang Pracharat Party and voted for Prayut to become Prime Minister.

Of course he had to be rewarded and was given the job of Ministry of Transport. Having enough brains to do the job is not important.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Speed doesn't kill. Idiotic driving does.

People who drive speeding...Are idiots!

I actually think it is a good idea. Why? Because most people go that fast anyway. The speeds of 80 or 90 kph only mean an inane amount of tickets. My wife and I are very safe drivers. Yet, between us we have gotten about 30 tickets within just the past 6 months. Threw all of them in the bin. But, still it is silly. It will not encourage people to go faster. It just allows people to travel at the speed they already travel at, legally. 120 kph on a divided, four lane highway is totally safe. Assuming the driver is paying attention! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If I hit a brick wall at 10 kms per hr not much damage if I hit a wall at 150 kms per hr probably death kills more than speed or at least the sudden stop.

I think his point is that you'd be an idiot to drive into a brick wall in the first place... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I actually think it is a good idea. Why? Because most people go that fast anyway. The speeds of 80 or 90 kph only mean an inane amount of tickets. My wife and I are very safe drivers. Yet, between us we have gotten about 30 tickets within just the past 6 months. Threw all of them in the bin.

Will they have to be paid before you can pay next years road tax ?

They’re going faster than 120 now. Why don’t you start with something easier like what they should do at traffic lights

• Like 1

3 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Does anybody know of anyone that has had a legitimate speeding fine under the current law ?

I have from a speed camera on the toll road (highway 7).  Though I try to go with the flow, I have slowed down since and can't remain in the right lane too much or will block the speeders.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai society has been "stunned" by proposals from the transport minister to increase speeds up to 120 kilometer per hour on roads

Population Control !

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

120km speeds and cannabis production ? What could possible go wrong ? 

It's already 120kmh on many roads.

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Will they have to be paid before you can pay next years road tax ?

Nope. I hear they are working on a system. My guess is it will be years, until they have a centralized databank. For now, I will take full advantage of the inane laws. 

• Like 1