BANGKOK
webfact

Minister's speed proposal stuns Thailand: Collision at 120 kmph same as falling 19 stories, says media

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, remorhaz said:

Taking pictures like that offends the Buddha but theft, corruption, fraud and outright lies do not.  In fact those don't even warrant a top up of the Red Fanta to feed the hornets.  

lie cheat steal all good in land of smiles 

1 hour ago, collingwood said:

500 baht speeding fine for doing 103 kmph

snap!  plus 1000bt for 125kph on hwy1 north of Bangkok

8 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Does anybody know of anyone that has had a legitimate speeding fine under the current law ?

Yes, me, twice in Isaan on dual carriageways doing less than 120 kmh on my BMW 650 bike....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

thais cannot manage the current speed limits, much less higher ones

Most don't pay any attention to the speed limits or any other traffic laws and do as they please. So changing it ain't gonna change anything.

8 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If I hit a brick wall at 10 kms per hr not much damage if I hit a wall at 150 kms per hr probably death kills more than speed or at least the sudden stop.

Well Don't hit the bloody wall learn to drive .

They do 120 kph now so why change it? Speed doesn't kill but the rate at which you stop does. 

so we have a choice, crash at 120kmh or fall from 19 floors up, it's a tough one I'll admit.

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

Hey just a minute wise guy! Are you trying to say we're not developed yet or something? 

SAM_2863.JPG

developed yes but it's not life as we know it.

44 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Quite sad really, the number of people who are killed, injured, maimed, every day here.

If an elephant or a tiger in one year the news travels globally but when 24,000 Thais die on the roads not a blip.This is also sad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YetAnother said:

thais cannot manage the current speed limits, much less higher ones

Poor driving skills, poor vehicle maintenance, poor adherence to traffic rules , poor traffic flow design, poor traffic enforcement all contributed to the carnage on thai roads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Speed plus idiotic driving does though!

You don't need speed to kill someone using a car.

I've suggested this a number of times when it comes to the Department of Land Transport they should get rid of the entire departments they are out of touch and the biggest reason there is an epidemic problem with the driving.

This is another example!   Call them stupid that would be giving them too much credit!  They have also stated that there isn't a problem with how the roads are design here the list goes on and on. 

First line of fixing the problem PM needs to declare Section 44, close this department down and get them all out of there A/C offices and smell the coffee!

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

This is Thailand,would you care to provide a link to this good science?I suggest you take a drive on some of the four lane roads in Thailand to see the conditions that exist before suggesting that because a few drivers travel at 120 kmh that everybody else might as well.There is absolutely no good science in this suggestion for Thai road conditions and the abilities of most Thai drivers.You are insulting your own intelligence suggesting this.

Yes - if a few drivers in their Porsches or Ferraris travel at 250 km an hour then everybody else should try to? I'd like to see the results - no, sorry, I would NOT like to see the results of such an idiotic proposal as Thailand's roads are probably among the most lethal in the world already!

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You must know where the nest is because you seem to be in it with the rest of us.Speed kills. lt's definately a major contributing factor to the death toll.If you only reduced the speed at which people travel to 50 kph the death toll is reduced it's a fact.I'm not talking about reducing the speed limit but the actual speed.Idiocy is people who say speed doesn't contribute to the death toll and does in fact kill.

Please explain to me then why the Autobahn is one of the safest road systems in Europe with around 1.6 deaths per 1billion of KM traveled? I'll tell you why, the drivers are better taught, have better awareness, look after their cars (including brakes), follow the rules of the road and don't tailgate or make sudden unexpected maneuvers.

I agree that crashing at 150kph will have more than an impact than crashing at 30kph but I bet you the majority of collisions in Thailand are alcohol/drug/phone induced or through very poor driving skills including sudden braking, not indicating, not looking etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

Yes, me, twice in Isaan on dual carriageways doing less than 120 kmh on my BMW 650 bike....

so why did you pay if you were doing LESS than the speed limit ON THAT ROAD ????