BANGKOK
webfact

Minister's speed proposal stuns Thailand: Collision at 120 kmph same as falling 19 stories, says media

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the UK highway code page below, you can see the stopping distance increases from 73 metres at 96km/hr, to 96 metres at 112 km/hr.

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.png

(click to enlarge)

Theres a couple of points here.

The braking distances were set in the 1960/70's where cars were god-damned awful. Technology has come a long way since. Secondly, there is no way anyone is going to leave a 96m gap on the M1 driving at 70mph as cars will fill that gap up very quickly leading you to have to brake to let them in. I don't disagree with the information, its just not practical in today's age with more cars on the road.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Does anybody know of anyone that has had a legitimate speeding fine under the current law ?

Me.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that studies showed unequivocally that speed kills. 

And what studies were those? Speed certainly increases the severity of the crash but does not necessarily kill.

Driving or riding TOO FAST FOR THE CONDITIONS causes crashes and possible death! And it does not matter what the arbitary "speed limit" is.

Now, define "speed"?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so why did you pay if you were doing LESS than the speed limit ON THAT ROAD ????

Only roads with 120kph speed limit are the Bangkok ringroads.  Every where else is 90 😞 

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Theres a couple of points here.

The braking distances were set in the 1960/70's where cars were god-damned awful. Technology has come a long way since. Secondly, there is no way anyone is going to leave a 96m gap on the M1 driving at 70mph as cars will fill that gap up very quickly leading you to have to brake to let them in. I don't disagree with the information, its just not practical in today's age with more cars on the road.

I take what you're saying completely. Being an old fogey, I just happened to remember about it and saw it's still being used.

Yes, I'm sure things have changed now, plus your comment about leaving a gap - in the UK is not easy - in Thailand it's more than impossible to prevent tailgating by leaving a gap.

I just let others push in front if they want to fill the gap, you're not exactly travelling backwards even if fifty vehicles keep filling the gap you leave in front of you.

I translated it into Thai to try and get my family to understand the idea of stopping distances against speed.

• Like 1

Just tell them that the earth is round, that will keep them of your back for weeks

while they try to figure that one out.

Edited by sherwood

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

so why did you pay if you were doing LESS than the speed limit ON THAT ROAD ????

The speed limit was 90 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dwcrist said:

If you're worried about keeping speeds at acceptable comparable levels of building floors to fall from, what is an acceptable floor to fall from, 1 - 1.5? And how many kph does that translate to, ~30kph? Now tell me that you want that to be the speed limit.

Yes, the higher the speed the greater the damage/risk in the case of crashes. But the solution is not to make crashes benign, it should be to reduce crashes. Thais kill themselves and each other on the roads at all speeds because of the idiotic, selfish, and absent minded maneuvers they try to pull.

Too low speed limits like 80-90kph actually increase risk as it encourages people to exceed the speed limit and causes more overtaking and weaving between lanes.

Increase the speed limit and you will not see a significant or any rise in deaths. And yes, fine the slow drivers (especially trucks) for not making way in the right lane. This and other similar traffic controls is what is needed to curb the Thai driver psyche to reduce crashes/fatalities at all speeds.

I have to disagree. In British Columbia, Canada, the speed limits on some highways were raised to 120 kph a few years ago. The accident and death rates went up and it was decided to lower them back to 110 kph. And compared to Thai drivers, we are like angels on the roads.

• Thanks 1

That’s Funny. When I read the headline that Thai society was stunned by the new speed limit proposals.... I THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE THEY WE’RE ACTUALLY LOWERING THEM! Silly me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I have to disagree. In British Columbia, Canada, the speed limits on some highways were raised to 120 kph a few years ago. The accident and death rates went up and it was decided to lower them back to 110 kph. And compared to Thai drivers, we are like angels on the roads.

Any stats on that or are you just blowing numbers from your ass? The one thing we do agree is the driving education that's lacking here in the hub of fatal accidents, tho enforcing the laws might have a distinct difference in comparison 🙂

PS. My country has 120km/h limits on motorways, and those are the least fatal roads in the whole country - 1 lane per way 100km/h limits much more deadly in the stats, though been used as cash cows for the govt with cameras where you set up a 1km lane suddenly dropping the limit with 20km/h per straight and then after camera returning it to previous one... 

Edited by jabis
  • Like 1

yes, speed kills....

the proposal is " to increase speeds up to 120 kilometer per hour on roads of four lanes and up"

18 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

yes, speed kills....

the proposal is " to increase speeds up to 120 kilometer per hour on roads of four lanes and up"

Tell that to germans with their autobahns 🙂 
No - stupidity kills.

I'd rather have the motor & expressways evaluated where it is suitable to raise the limit, you know like surveys they do on developed countries and assess how the traffic flow will be affected - but yet again TiT - no matter what limit there is, there'll be 90/100 persons ignoring whatever it reads on the roadside...

• Like 1

I can't honestly say that I've been in a taxi to the Airport from Yan Nawa and NOT been doing 120km/h. 

22 hours ago, Victornoir said:

2 tickets for speeding at radar control (500b) and once stopped for the same reasons (400 b and a coke offered).

120 km/h is a good speed on 4-lane highways

Yes!  

3 delivered in mail from cameras and two roadside. All 500baht per fine. 

May least it’s not Australia, I’d be broke and no licence by now. 

Agreed, speed shld be 120 on large wide motor ways. 

Even 80 on the two lane highway is stupid slow. Shld be 110. 

Speed isn’t the root cause, and reducing speed is just a band aid solution, as Australia is now realising. Their massive campaign has failed. What it has achieved tho is Billions in revenue.  

Educate drivers. Police the ones that are useless and dangerous. Like someone else mentioned, <deleted> is with these uturns on a major highway? Stupid and dangerous. 

Drunk driving/riding and no helmets, that’s ur biggest killer. Start there. 

• Like 1