Minister's speed proposal stuns Thailand: Collision at 120 kmph same as falling 19 stories, says media

webfact

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, les Dennis said:

Does anybody know of anyone that has had a legitimate speeding fine under the current law ?

MrsJ ... speed camera warning 90kph ... "I'm OK at 100" ... seems she was wrong, but of course didn't agree ........ and me on the tollway years ago doing 140kph ... MrsJ says "i don't see any cameras"  I say "what do you mean" she says "there are speed camera signs" ... at the next booth man with board says..."join the queue over there ... under 150 500thb over 150 1000thb   ...............

So the answer seems yes

3 hours ago, canopy said:

I think the naysayers are simply resisting change. You could bring that exact laundry list of complaints above if the government proposed raising the speed from 10 to 20. So why aren't you jumping up and down that these facts prove we need the speed limit to be 10km/h? And by the way why are you omitting the advantages to society of higher speed limits? Seems rather biased.

We had this exact same argument in America when the speed limit was locked at 55mph maximum everywhere. Thankfully that nonsense ended, common sense prevailed and higher speeds became common. If all factors are taken in balance, 120 is a comfortable speed and everyone that uses the motorways are already used to this speed in Thailand. I would welcome this proposal and see no good argument against it.

More like "everyone is used to killing each other at this speed in Thailand." I agree 55 mph was much too slow in America; because in America, for the most part, roads are designed by competent engineers, allowing for higher speeds. Not so in the Land of Smiles.

In first-world countries, highways have cloverleaf intersections with long merging lanes to allow traffic to accelerate.  Similar when you exit: long lanes peeling-away from the main road allowing one to adjust speed before entering the next. In addition, developed countries don't have roads with trees, utility poles, and car-swallowing ditches running the length without guardrail protection. What would be a minor spin-out in America or Europe becomes a fatal crash in Thailand. Also, first-world countries don't have food carts, parked vehicles, and wrong-way drivers (with burned out head and tail lights no less) obstructing traffic. Neither do they have side streets dumping traffic directly onto major thoroughfares. It's incredulous that people who want to make a turn must first come to a complete stop at a laughable, almost non-existent, median strip, usually just a faded paint stripe, and then pray for a miracle that they not get bashed from either direction, all the while, looking for a chance to throw themselves into a small gap of 120 kph traffic....only in Thailand.   

Collision at 120km/hr  is the same as falling 19 stories, so, according to my calculations

collision at 60km/hr should be the same as falling 9 1/2 stories, no?!

As they say here "arai go dai", (either way) I think I would rather fall 9 1/2 stories because I will be

less.....dead.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Thai roads are like one big racetrack, but without rules. 

Thailand, the worst country in the world for driving.

It is proven that lower speed limits, lower the road toll and produce safer roads.

Letting lunatics legally drive at 120kph is madness.

They will go over that.

Thailand need a serious look at its roads and traffic behaviour, it need forces on the ground.

Thailand needs lower speed limits and speed cameras, but importantly it needs enforcement on the roads.

When that day comes, who will know when?  many lives will be saved.

Until then anarchy will remain the status quo.

Anyone complaining about a 120 limit on multi-lane highways in Thailand should travel to Indonesia where the limit on the tollway is 100 kph. This of course is not possible because of all the hills and trucks. But even on a straight open stretches one is still impeded by Johhny Indo driving at 100!

On 8/2/2019 at 2:03 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

So when a kid chases a ball onto the road and I have the choice of taking him out or hitting the brick wall I will gladly choose to be an idiot as you describe it but you can choose to not be an idiot and take the kids life just to feel better about not being an idiot and that is the point I make!

More than 22,000 people died on Thailand's roads in 2018. I doubt that many of those deaths were cause by kids chasing a ball onto the street... 

On 8/2/2019 at 9:09 AM, Chelseafan said:

Speed doesn't kill. Idiotic driving does.

there is truth to this but we have concluded that in thailand there is plenty of idiotic driving so why do we wish to throw in another variable?

On 8/4/2019 at 8:14 AM, BigC said:

Cant imagine  a the same collisions  surviving  at 90 kmph

Loads of  people getting  nickef now

Its ridiculous when you have a 12 hour journey  to drive  at 90 kmph

The roads here and traffic flow is not designed for more.  This is not the autobahn if you wish for that type of highway go to europe.

Archived