Does Anything you Buy in Thailand Actually Last?

Pilotman

The only thing I can think of that failed prematurely was a 4” grinder from Big C ( Big C !!, what was I thinking [emoji848] ).
It lasted 2 weeks so went back and they would only exchange for the same, a few weeks later..... in the bin [emoji1005] !!

But for the price I paid that could happen anywhere.

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Poor quality & cheap is the rule. But I also notice - at least here amongst the rural poor - that they don't know how to look after anything. I bought my FIL a small but nice radio for him to listen to in his hut as he has his midday siesta - lasted about 3 months, left out in the sun & rain & dust. Then wanted a new one. I said no.

Ans so for just about anything else I can think of. They have no idea that modern materials (plastic) are not strong like teak or bamboo. So things that would last me 20 years or more last 6 months or a year here if you're lucky.

You're correct. I gave two members of my partners family nice watches as presents. Both dropped and smashed the watch glass within weeks, and of course it damaged the movements as well and neither had the money to fix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JAFO said:

One thing to keep in mind, most of what we purchase here is made in China to Chinese low standards. Thais really have nothing to do with it in general as its all imported junk.

But to another posters comment, Buy Cheap, Get cheap. It is far better to spend a bit more to end up with something that will last. Great example, 3 years ago or so my FIL bought a very low cost weedwhacker. It lasted about 4 months then the cables broke, motor wouldn't start right etc. He took it back 3 or 4 times then finally I tore it apart and tossed in the trash. Cost was about 5,500 bht. I brought over my Craftsman weedwhacker from the states that I had for 10 years in the states prior and now 8 years later here and it still works perfect. 

I bought a Black & Decker weed whacker that's lasted about 5 years so far. It was only about 600 baht as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Hitachi fridge 10 years, Honda lawnmower 11 years, house 23 years, Phillips blender 7 years, washer 16 years, no name chainsaw 4 years, no name hedge trimmer 9 years........I could go on. All still working fine.  

Thai wife 44years.