Does Anything you Buy in Thailand Actually Last?

Pilotman

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You're correct. I gave two members of my partners family nice watches as presents. Both dropped and smashed the watch glass within weeks, and of course it damaged the movements as well and neither had the money to fix.

Yes, I've wasted around AUD2000 on 4 sets of spectacles over the last 3 years. FIL & MIL - broken, uncomfortable, don't wear. B/F - doesn't wear. 10-year-old child with major sight difficulties - glasses bought after careful testing by opthalmologist at private hospital - broken/doesn't wear.

Rule of the House: No more glasses for anyone, no matter the need, other than me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

usually one gets what he/she paid for.... same same as made in China

That is normally true, the problem here is finding quality for everyday items, it rarely seems to exist at any price.  

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

That is normally true, the problem here is finding quality for everyday items, it rarely seems to exist at any price.  

unfortunately we don't have too many options, even the so called "high quality" items are questionable

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CGW said:

Do you want to swap? mine aint! ???? 

You know the problem with money is that I'd say yes if you come with a great number.

She's a great cook, a good cleaner, great in bed, always there when you need her, trustworthy, good looking and a lot more.

Would 5 million baht be okay? 

( Please don't tell her that I've sold her)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Japan.

China.

South Korea.

Japan.

Yes Spidermike, but I am talking about things designed and manufactured in Thailand. IT IS ALL JUNK. 

Love all your posts, don't ever change. 

All foreign companies. But the discussion was talking about things made in Thailand. All of these items were manufactured here. That was my point. As long as it is made here, by a foreign company, good chance it is a good product. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I completely disagree. I had a PCX that was made here. Had it for five years, it was a trouble free workhorse. Now, my in-laws have it, and it continues to run perfectly. Solid as hell. Same with a Haier refrigerator I bought 13 years ago. A monster side by side. Made here. Still works fine. I have a Samsung 18,000 btu inverter AC I bought at least 11 years ago. It runs perfectly. Regularly maintained. But, never an issue, and it is used most of the year. I have fans I have had for years. Perfect. Had a Toyota Vios for seven years. 150,000 km. Ran great when we sold it. It was made here. 

The only electronics I have had consistent problems with, have been Samsung TV's. And since Samsung stops making parts for all of it's TV's after 36 months, when they do stop working, they are next to impossible to repair. I have thrown two flat screens away, that were state of the art, when they came out, and lasted only 4 years. I will never buy another Samsung TV, here or anywhere. Sony TV's, on the other hand seems to last forever, and the company makes parts for 10 years. I do not consider that the fault of Thai manufacturing. I blame the brand. I love Samsung refrigerators, air conditioners, and other appliances. Just would not buy another TV. 

The reality is, that most products made here, especially the ones made by Japanese companies, are made in factories where they have foreign, expert managers, and as long as the quality control is good, the products are excellent. The trick is to buy good quality. 

These damn stupid Samsung engineers. Our intelligent TV is as dumb as shi_. Takes a long time to load anything to be online, so i connected a PC to it.

If you want to play a movie from a memory stick, it's really difficult to get that thing in. I hear your pain!!!!

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

All foreign companies. But the discussion was talking about things made in Thailand. All of these items were manufactured here. That was my point. As long as it is made here, by a foreign company, good chance it is a good product. 

Mike, please look at their education and you know why it is as it is. 

1 hour ago, HLover said:

Buy metal items, problem solved.

Your welcome.

I have definitely not seen your terse response borne out in my own experience...16 years in LOS to date. Many household items, electrical light enclosures and hand tools are made out of either pot metal or thin, cast aluminum, both of which oxidize and turn to dust on an accelerated basis due to heat, humidity and solar radiation. We bought supposedly top of the line outdoor lights for our lawns and within two years they had all failed...breaking at various juncture points...because the crap metal they used in casting and/or extruding them was poorly designed or just made of shoddy material.  Rainfall and sun combined to cause rapid deteriorating and oxidation. 

Many tools and lighting units are imported from China and are practically worthless from the day you remove the packaging. As mentioned by a previous poster, the real trick is finding quality items here in the first place.  I’ve had better luck with certain European and American designed products that are made in Thailand under license.  Korean and Japanese-branded appliances seem to wear well, but you have to pay for this quality.  Unlike another poster, we’ve seen zero issues with Samsung TVs, but prefer Sony even though they cost more. 

Caveat Emptor indeed. 

Edited by Fore Man
Correct text issues
  • Like 2

I have also noticed that general consumption consumer items are of lesser quality than back home in the US. I think it is a function of two dynamics.

First it is scale of markets. The market in the US (market that I know about) is so big and competitive, one has to offer quality to maintain market share.

Second is wages. On the average people make a lot less in thailand, so less expensive items are imported to maintain an affordable price point.

• Like 2

In the EU it´s a law that the warranty he to be 2 years for everything. So the shops don´t sell stuff what will not last long. In Thailand the warranty (except brands) ends when you leave the shop.

I brought all the stuff that was important to me from home. Mainly hand tools, power tools and cooking equipment. I must say after leading a life of must have the best I wish I wouldn't have squandered so much money on pointless crap like $2000 dinner sets, cutlery etc. Food still tastes the same out of a melamine bowl and wont break when you drop it on the floor. More and more I find myself buying stuff from places like Mr DIY. I am selective what I get but I find even cheapie electrical stuff here like rechargeable lanterns, light fittings....even sound gear to be good, in some cases outlasted brand name stuff I've had. Got a great little stereo unit for my computer from Makro. Sub woofer, blue tooth which actually works. Great sound clarity in fact would put i up against my Denon which I paid 20 times more. Had it 6 years and still great, 1200 baht from Makro

• Like 1

Nearly everything mentioned in the comments is either imported or manuctured by a company from outside of Thailand, mainly Japanese.  Those can be easily purchased in other countries and do just as well.  For myself, when I used to live in Thailand, now only do an annual three month visit to get away from  the Cadianan winter I buy casual wear clothing, trousers, shoes, etc., and a few odds and ends all made in Thailand.  Have had some of them for about six years and they are still going strong.  Also, when in Thailand I buy things for the receptionist where I stay, she used to also be my receptionist, and all things have lasted a long time.  Buy cheap, get cheap and soon gone, especially if not treated with care and attention.

'nuf sed.