Does Anything you Buy in Thailand Actually Last?

Pilotman

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

This is true. I told my girlfriend I don't want to buy anything made in Thailand.

We go to Home Pro and she tells the sales guy that!

I thought they were going to call security and have me thrown out.

I'm absolutely shocked! I never imagined you to be a Home Pro customer. 

Even though there are already 7 pages of comment, I can't resist...  My TV's, fridges, toasters, lazy-boys, cheap office furniture, air cons, fans and furniture have all been great and lasted more than 10 yrs (AC's and Fridges are the only ones that faltered... But still good life. One fridge still worked after 'floating' for 2 months during the flood of 2011).  Some cleaning tools (brushes, some sponges and squeegees) don't last or do very well. You get what you pay for (and can find when looking for quality).  The brooms here are terrible. I don't know why they are so bad, been that way ever since I came in 1997.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

On 8/2/2019 at 11:55 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

The only thing I can think of that failed prematurely was a 4” grinder from Big C ( Big C !!, what was I thinking emoji848.png ).
It lasted 2 weeks so went back and they would only exchange for the same, a few weeks later..... in the bin emoji1005.png !!

But for the price I paid that could happen anywhere.

Unlucky that. I got my angle grinder from Big C 10 years ago and have used it a lot ( mans best friend ) and still working. Earlier this year smoke came out of it and it quit on me. Opened it up and noticed two wires touching so a short. Re wired it and good to go ( minus guard which dropped off a few years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

Unlucky that. I got my angle grinder from Big C 10 years ago and have used it a lot ( mans best friend ) and still working. Earlier this year smoke came out of it and it quit on me. Opened it up and noticed two wires touching so a short. Re wired it and good to go ( minus guard which dropped off a few years ago.

What make is the angle grinder ?

Had great luck with Hatari fans. Wife has old Sharp fridge just won't die. Phillips steamer is a total POS but I should be using demineralized water.

BTW I will never buy another LG product in my life and recommend you do the same.

Edited by Number 6

"All the plastic crap you buy here seems to last around 12 months"

It is my understanding that the Thais do not use plasticiser which results in the plastic going brittle in around that timeframe. Probably a deliberate decision to keep the price down and create a repetitive demand. We use old paint containers for buckets and some of those have been on the go longer than I have been here and that is over 12 years. Highlights the variation in plastic quality.

You should also bear in mind that prolonged exposure to UV can be the kiss of death for plastic, and not just in Thailand. I used to do some work with an aggregate supplier and the 25kg plastic bags had a shelf life of around a year, 18 months in the yard and they would be disintegrating.

My house is about 10 years old and my experience would not in general support your comments, I have had as much problem with foreign tools as those of Thai origin.

31 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I use my late father in law's angle grinder. Think it is about 30 years old, electric cable is the old rubber type. Still going strong but had to fit new brushes a couple of years ago, it is a Makita.

He was a builder, died aged 76 in 2011. Some real old carpentry tools in his box, seen some use but still in good working condition.

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I use my late father in law's angle grinder. Think it is about 30 years old, electric cable is the old rubber type. Still going strong but had to fit new brushes a couple of years ago, it is a Makita.

He was a builder, died aged 76 in 2011. Some real old carpentry tools in his box, seen some use but still in good working condition.

The reason I asked is that the thread is about items bought in Thailand and their longevity. However perhaps where they are made has more to do as to how long they last rather than the country they were purchased in. With respect to the angle grinder, and I have one similar (I checked it and it is made in China) , they are not made in Thailand as they don't appear to have a manufacturing unit here..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makita

Edited by geoffbezoz

Anything I buy here I consciously try to avoid anything that originates from China. I seems to me anything Chinese on sale in Thailand is made down to the cheapest price possible, not to a quality spec.

A Chinese made doorbell with a remote battery powered push-button was 200 Baht. Bought from Thai Wasadu. Lasted a year. Bought another, that died after about the same time.

I bought some Chinese pruning shears for 90-odd Baht from Globalhouse that lasted two weeks (no other brands available).

Recently I was looking for some 12 inch hacksaw blades. I deliberately tried to avoid (in Globalhouse) any from China. There were three different styles - all only from China, priced at 5 Baht each.

So far, surprisingly enough they have lasted, although not very sharp at all.

Just looked at the Globalhouse website now, they only have listed Lenox brand hacksaw blades at 39 Baht each. I hope they've learned their lesson and scrapped the Chinese ones.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

UWELD  It was a cheapo. As I remember 350 baht or something.

I was not expecting much and got it just for one job I had to do. I didn't expect it to last long. Some things just defy expectations.

Other things don't live up to them.

à¸à¸¥à¸à¸²à¸£à¸à¹à¸à¸«à¸²à¸£à¸¹à¸à¸ à¸²à¸à¸ªà¸³à¸«à¸£à¸±à¸ UWELD angle grinder

It was on special offer. Apparently 890 baht now !!

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

UWELD  It was a cheapo. As I remember 350 baht or something.

I was not expecting much and got it just for one job I had to do. I didn't expect it to last long. Some things just defy expectations.

Other things don't live up to them.

à¸à¸¥à¸à¸²à¸£à¸à¹à¸à¸«à¸²à¸£à¸¹à¸à¸ à¸²à¸à¸ªà¸³à¸«à¸£à¸±à¸ UWELD angle grinder

This is by far, the most strange looking espresso maker I have ever seen.

• Haha 1

With Plastic, it's the climate. Heat, humidity and UV destroy it, Plastic chairs, kitchen stuff etc, about 12 months if ever left outside. And true, Thais do not really understand what the UV does to plastic. 

Metals - they corrode, same reasons. had a fishing rod which had lasted 10 years plus in the UK, the fittings were all corroded after 2 years here.

Fans - the longest was 6 years, average about 2 years, at least 1 in 3 about 6 months!

White goods - so far ok.

Bought a cheap drill - it was sort of ok, but the drills bent as easily as a nail! Did 2 in on a piece of wood ....

Wives - this one has lasted 9 years, now showing some wear and tear, but not allowed to trade in!

25 minutes ago, rickudon said:

With Plastic, it's the climate. Heat, humidity and UV destroy it, Plastic chairs, kitchen stuff etc, about 12 months if ever left outside. And true, Thais do not really understand what the UV does to plastic. 

Metals - they corrode, same reasons. had a fishing rod which had lasted 10 years plus in the UK, the fittings were all corroded after 2 years here.

Fans - the longest was 6 years, average about 2 years, at least 1 in 3 about 6 months!

White goods - so far ok.

Bought a cheap drill - it was sort of ok, but the drills bent as easily as a nail! Did 2 in on a piece of wood ....

Wives - this one has lasted 9 years, now showing some wear and tear, but not allowed to trade in!

I bought a power drill (plug in) from China 300 baht roadside market.  Was going to use it for 1 job.  That darn thing lasted for 5 years (300 baht)  I finally bought a cordless drill not because the other one broke but because my Black and Decker power screw driver always lost it's charge.  

Edited by marcusarelus

I was considering buying an electric blower.....but didn't want to pay the 1500 or so baht for a Hitachi.  I spotted one in Makro for 350 baht....a no name.  It's lasted several years.  I don't use it often.....blow out my desktop computer, clean the porch after termite or moth swarms, dry air conditioner filters after washing.  350 baht!

On 8/2/2019 at 10:28 AM, JaiLai said:

Hatari fan I bought 19 years ago for 43 baht 2nd hand, got a slight rattle now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Really? You remember when you bought a simple appliance like a fan and 19 years later you remember exactly how much you paid for it?

same for everyone else on here that seem to remember exactly how many years ago they bought their appliances.

What do you people do with your time?

On 8/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, worgeordie said:

I've got some wok's 30 years old,use them everyday,think they were

about 99 THB so I have had my money's worth out of them.

regards Worgeordie

You have a 99 baht Wok that you have used every day for 30 years?? How can you in any way possibly be telling the truth in this statement.

That is some serious rose tinited glasses.

6 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Really? You remember when you bought a simple appliance like a fan and 19 years later you remember exactly how much you paid for it?

same for everyone else on here that seem to remember exactly how many years ago they bought their appliances.

What do you people do with your time?

So, if you buy a house, Need a fridge or a fan etc, you buy the things you need and you haven't bought or replaced them since, how is that difficult to remember ? 

As for my time, I do whatever I need or want, thanks.

I have bought a few things in Thailand and some have worked extremely well; others haven't.

The one thing in common is that the warranty usually runs out at about 6 am in the morning.

• Like 1