Does Anything you Buy in Thailand Actually Last?

Pilotman

33 minutes ago, garrya said:

Just to answer the OP: "No"

Material ain't matter. Design ain't matter.

The land of things that fall apart. ????

Did you feel the same way before the pound crashed and the GF problems started?

Try one of these money can't buy a better one - Lucaris made in Thailand.

lucaris-wine-glasses-04-33001-2-64_600.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus

On 8/2/2019 at 11:18 AM, ChipButty said:

Wife..........?

That said , i was employed as a  Quality Control certified inspector BS 5750, etc. 

Wife , darling in Thailand well , that is subjective .

However , there are those that deviate from normal distribution ..

Bell shaped, natural deviation  , is expensive . I should know..555

Edited by elliss

57 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Did you feel the same way before the pound crashed and the GF problems started?

Try one of these money can't buy a better one - Lucaris made in Thailand.

lucaris-wine-glasses-04-33001-2-64_600.jpg

I wish I understood this. Lol

It's not as bad as the OP might think. Thailand produces the most of all hard drives that are being used worldwide.

And they seem to be good. 

The progress to becoming the world leader in HDD production is amazing considering that Thailand only really began HDD manufacturing in 1983 when Seagate Technology, itself founded four years earlier, was granted investment promotion privileges by the Board of Investment. Less than twenty-five years later and Thailand is the world leader, with the hard disk drive industry employing approximately one hundred thousand people.

https://www.boi.go.th/tir/issue/200706_17_6/42.htm

1 hour ago, garrya said:

Correct , including relationships . 

However that said ..555

I bet Carabou aren’t using AJ speakers, mics  etc when they’re singing that “Made in Thailand” song but I suppose the stage gets a good sweeping with those top quality Thai brooms after the crowd’s stopped stabbing, shooting and bottling each other and gone home.

Edited by lemonjelly

2 hours ago, garrya said:

However that said ,  i feel promises and loyalty , rank high in Thailand..

[quopte]

Thailand is the world leader, with the hard disk drive industry employing approximately one hundred thousand people.

[/quote]

I hope they have another product lined up to manufacture, or there will soon be a lot of people out of a job as the use of hard-disk drives declines.

• Like 1

I have to disagree here as the majority of things we've bought over the last 5 years are still working mostly fine. The exception are brooms which all fall apart after about 10 sweeping sessions. For everything else I make sure that I stick to 3 rules when buying stuff:

1: Read the reviews online. Easy to do on your phone. Browse around a store, get gf to chat to sales staff if they don't look like a total moron, choose a thing you like and then briefly put the model # into google + "reviews". If its not 4 stars or up I choose something else. 

2: Opt for the more expensive option. You get what you pay for. Plenty of quality stuff available here. Yeah, all of it is probably from overseas but it's here and you can buy it and it lasts. 

3: No Thais allowed. This is the most important one as I think most things can last a long time if maintained properly. But we all know what the attitude to that is like here. After I purchase something I make sure that nobody other than me and my gf has access to it.

That last rule is key. When I first moved here I took a look at the non-stick frying pans they were using and found that the coating had shredded off and was flaking onto the food. Told them that non-stick pans are great but as soon as the coating gets so much as a scratch you're introducing heavy metals into your food. Threw it into the bin, bought them a good big Teflon and said "no contact with metal". Nods all around.

The first Teflon replacement was scratched to hell pretty quickly by using metal cooking tools. "No contact with metal. Use a wooden spatula." Into the bin she goes, bought new pan.

Second Teflon replacement was damaged almost immediately by scrubbing with steel wool. "No contact with metal. Use a soft sponge." In the garbage, new pan.

Third Teflon replacement scratched up again by storing all sorts of crap inside it - other pots, utensils, etc. "No contact with metal. Line with a towel if stacking stuff". Into the bin again, bought pan #4.

Fourth Teflon replacement scratched again. By this time I was moving out so didn't care anymore.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

The reason I asked is that the thread is about items bought in Thailand and their longevity. However perhaps where they are made has more to do as to how long they last rather than the country they were purchased in. With respect to the angle grinder, and I have one similar (I checked it and it is made in China) , they are not made in Thailand as they don't appear to have a manufacturing unit here..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makita

Yes I knew they were Chinese, I always thought they were Japanese until I did the brushes.

Like many other places Thailand has its failings but here one of the main ones is the quality of some steel and that can have far reaching consequences when it comes to tools. Its horses for courses, depending on the job in hand and usage.

In 10 years I am now on my 3rd small Asgatec strimmer, motors have packed up. Stuck with the same model for the parts, cheap product but does the job in small awkward places,. I have a petrol one for the heavy work, a few years old now and the only problem has been insects eating the fuel pipe.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genmai said:

I have to disagree here as the majority of things we've bought over the last 5 years are still working mostly fine. The exception are brooms which all fall apart after about 10 sweeping sessions. For everything else I make sure that I stick to 3 rules when buying stuff:

1: Read the reviews online. Easy to do on your phone. Browse around a store, get gf to chat to sales staff if they don't look like a total moron, choose a thing you like and then briefly put the model # into google + "reviews". If its not 4 stars or up I choose something else. 

2: Opt for the more expensive option. You get what you pay for. Plenty of quality stuff available here. Yeah, all of it is probably from overseas but it's here and you can buy it and it lasts. 

3: No Thais allowed. This is the most important one as I think most things can last a long time if maintained properly. But we all know what the attitude to that is like here. After I purchase something I make sure that nobody other than me and my gf has access to it.

That last rule is key. When I first moved here I took a look at the non-stick frying pans they were using and found that the coating had shredded off and was flaking onto the food. Told them that non-stick pans are great but as soon as the coating gets so much as a scratch you're introducing heavy metals into your food. Threw it into the bin, bought them a good big Teflon and said "no contact with metal". Nods all around.

The first Teflon replacement was scratched to hell pretty quickly by using metal cooking tools. "No contact with metal. Use a wooden spatula." Into the bin she goes, bought new pan.

Second Teflon replacement was damaged almost immediately by scrubbing with steel wool. "No contact with metal. Use a soft sponge." In the garbage, new pan.

Third Teflon replacement scratched up again by storing all sorts of crap inside it - other pots, utensils, etc. "No contact with metal. Line with a towel if stacking stuff". Into the bin again, bought pan #4.

Fourth Teflon replacement scratched again. By this time I was moving out so didn't care anymore.

When you have the choice of teflon or forged steel in Asia take the forged steel.  Most Asians know this.  And any decent cook.  But that precludes most posting on Thai visa

hand.png

• Like 1

We bought a Thai made Sofa. After a few weeks the stitching came undone. It was a black leather (faux leather) sofa when we bought it.

Shop agreed to fix it under warranty (it took 3 months to fix and return it....3 months without a sofa but no one seemed to see any issue with that).

When they finally returned it it was reupholstered with white cloth..again, no one seemed to understand why I found that unnaccceptle. That one also came undone within a few weeks.

Threw it away (actually gave it to the neighbor to add to the never ending collection of junk that makes up the decor of their house) and bought one from Ikea which had lasted great.

I completely agree with the OP. Sometimes I feel like I live in a parallel Thai universe to many of the posters on here. I fear many have simply been here too long and come to accept local standards as normal when they very clearly are not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

The handle will stay attached to a 99 baht Wok when used every day for 30 years? Really?

Do you use your frying pan every day?

If any of my pan's handles feel loose, I just use a screw-driver to tighten them up. I've had many of my pots and pans for over 20 years, so, having them another 10 years is not a big stretch of the imagination.

You don't seem very smart, but, I won't hold that against you.......

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 2

We had one fan that dropped dead after 4/5 years and we still have ( 10 years now) an LG TV which is fine as long as you replace the power cord/transformer it runs on to drop the voltage to 24v. On our third power lead set up now. Had We have realised it was a LV set I wouldn’t have bought it. Everything else works fine still after about 10 years.

5 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Do you use your frying pan every day?

If any of my pan's handles feel loose, I just use a screw-driver to tighten them up. I've had many of my pots and pans for over 20 years, so, having them another 10 years is not a big stretch of the imagination.

You don't seem very smart, but, I won't hold that against you.......

Thinking back over my last 20 years and how absurd the notion of having pans for that long would be for various reasons...relocation, moving house, general upgrading, changing needs, changing partners, general appearances, etc etc).

I think I may know you. Do you live under a bridge on Sukhumvit near Nana BTS??

• Sad 1

On 8/2/2019 at 11:15 AM, Briggsy said:

The key thing is foreign oversight of QC in the manufacturing process. If QC is handed over to local employees, the slide begins immediately. 

True enough. I regularly curse 'Chinese junk' but know from direct and personal industrial engineering experience that oversight is the key.

Reliable products can be manufactured even in China if a foreign entity keeps people on site to supervise the process on a daily basis. Naturally such products are more expensive than the fake Chinese junk that is copied from it.

Quality design, materials, and workmanship are required to make good products, and that all adds to cost.

Cheap products are sold in every country for people who cannot afford quality, even knowing that they will have to replace the item regularly. This trend leads to a smaller customer base for quality goods, which means companies that produce them have increasing trouble finding a market and staying in business. Finding quality in any product is becoming increasingly difficult even if one can afford it.

Rampant consumerism coupled with declining worker income is a trend that will bury the world in broken crap. And so it goes.

• Like 1

I bought a brand new Honda City and went through pure hell trying to get it repaired after it continually broke down wherever whenever. I eventually called Honda in Tokyo and they basically said F...O...By chance at the time I knew a Thai/Chinese girl who said "hey I know the owner", problem solved in two days which involved a new Engine Control Unit..and complete new fuel system.. made in Thailand.

My Experience

Samsung 19,000bt  Fridge last 2 years, the whole fridge go bad, Two vacuum cleaners same problem...Junk ...

Electrolux Microwave...three months paint chipping off inside facia door,  Mister no warranty @ Home Pro.

Electrolux Hot pot...Fantastic  6 years

Panasonic TV  and Washing Machine...The Best

Says it all....Japan

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

When you have the choice of teflon or forged steel in Asia take the forged steel.  Most Asians know this.  And any decent cook.  But that precludes most posting on Thai visa

hand.png

Buy T-Fal   were the first to do away with Teflon

On 8/2/2019 at 11:55 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

The only thing I can think of that failed prematurely was a 4” grinder from Big C ( Big C !!, what was I thinking emoji848.png ).
It lasted 2 weeks so went back and they would only exchange for the same, a few weeks later..... in the bin emoji1005.png !!

But for the price I paid that could happen anywhere.

That be Big-C ......had problem not want to honor warranty recently