BKK-ZRH business Lie-flat seats comfortable ?

THAIPHUKET

4 hours ago, briley said:

Reading all of this it seems everyone is travelling on their own, or with someone they do not wish to talk to.

That certainly covers me. I always travel alone and I cant imagine ever travelling with anyone I want to talk to.

Single window pods in the herringbone configuration suit me just fine. In fact I would pay extra for one (but dont tell the airlines).

30 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Stopover from Bkk to ZRH? 

Sorry, what for? 

Both, Swiss and Thai provide non stop flat.

The OP specifically wanted a stop-over. I have done them too as they are often a very cheap way of spending a day or two in a country that one is unlikely to make a special trip to.

Also the cost saving of taking a flight via a hub is usually large. Direct flights to LHR are rarely found for under 2000GBP these days but I fly for barely half that on airlines that have one stop. That only adds about 4 hours to the total travelling time, much of which is spent drinking free champagne in a lounge somewhere anyway.

On 8/3/2019 at 4:14 AM, Swiss1960 said:

Swiss LX181 has a great business class with seats that go 100% flat. If you book early, you might be able to choose a single window seat, which is my preferred seat. Food, wines, spirits, Nespresso coffee all fell to enjoy and relax.

Just one thing: for big people (sideways or lengthways), the seat will be a tight fit for sleeping (no problem with sitting). First class seat would then solve that problem also...

Nespresso coffee, yuk, why not enjoy good quality real fresh coffee and save the environment.

I arrived today in Amsterdam from Bangkok via Dubai with the Emirates using business class. This flight used a B777 from Dubai to Amsterdam, but for me with 170cm the business class seats are comfortable enough. They are not full flat, but almost flat (slight angle).

2 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

The mattress is good idea. On Etihad + Oman I could feel my bones. Tough for a long flight

Oman Air is giving out a mattress too, at least on night flights, together with PJ's if you want to change into one.

1 hour ago, CHdiver said:
3 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

The mattress is good idea. On Etihad + Oman I could feel my bones. Tough for a long flight

Oman Air is giving out a mattress too, at least on night flights, together with PJ's if you want to change into one.

Good point... You don't get the Mattress on Emirates Day flights, or the Amenities kit..

... which, on a day flight is a non-issue, however, some people around me like receiving them as little gifts.

I only ever had PJ's on a Qatar Flight and once on a Etihad First Class upgrade which I recall as being wonderful - but I didn't see my Wife for the whole flight, we were locked away in our own little cabins !!!!...  the issue then of course is that the flights are too short with the M.E. layover !!!... 

A lot of the so  calle d lie  flat beds  now  cram  your  feet into a  cubby  hole which is too  small..........for GREAT LARGE  seats  use Turkish Airlines A330  , they are older  style and very big, service  isnt so good and i found  the food  crap and the seats arent as private but  boy do they have some serious legroom and width.

Emirates A380 seats are also nice  and private and have a bigger  cubby hole for the feet but they were pricey to my final destnation. Sri lankan airlines have a nice personal  fell but small cubbyholes for feet BUt you  get a free  room at Sri lanakn airs  hotel inside the aiport if staying overnight and these are really nice big  rooms with double bed. The Airpoert is small informal and cute.

18 hours ago, Kron said:

Emirates also gives you a thin mattress to place over the seat which helps with the comfort. 

Emirates Birmingham £4000 Turkish Birmingham £1480 last year (this year £1740) £2520 buys  you a  stretch  limo with dancing girls

Nespresso coffee, yuk, why not enjoy good quality real fresh coffee and save the environment.
We are talking about coffee in airplanes, where you do NOT get real fresh coffee. And since I am anyway flying, I am not too concerned about the environmental impact of the (recicable) Nespresso capsule

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

22-25 Baht per capsule is no RIP-off in my view, but 100 Baht per beer in bars is... and since I don't go to bars, I can very well enjoy the various Nespresso tastes at home.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ultimately of course it's personal choice and respecting other peoples' choices. For home use we buy Thai hilltribe coffees or Colombian Blue Mountain in 200 / 250 gram packs, to me great taste and way under 22-25Baht per cup. All personal choice.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:08 AM, Fairynuff said:

I’ve been using mostly Emirates business and always makes sure I use A380 flights. The Middle East airlines don’t consider the BKK route a premium one and many of their 777 and 330 flights are older non flat bed planes as I learned to my cost on my switch to Etihad for my current ticket. No way will I be using Etihad again.

Oman are using 787 Dreamliners and I found them excellent. The lounge in Muscat I thought was excellent once I discovered that it’s not just the small section at the front but much larger if you go further in.

Muscat is also much easier to get around than Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Emirates win out over the others with free chauffeur and free onboard WiFi but their meal service in business is rubbish compared to how it was just a few years ago.

I'm surprised a your comment on the Etihad Bangkok/ Abu Dhabi leg. Etihad don't have 1st class on this leg and use what are now somewhat older planes, but I've always found the business class seats on these planes acceptable and I'm tall and of build to match. They don't quite go completely flat but very close. I did once have a problem with the seat on this leg and they upgraded me to 1st on the second leg to Paris. That was a wow! Even though at that time not their new A380 on the leg to/ from Paris which is superb in business. Dare I say it? almost too much space ????.

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I'm surprised a your comment on the Etihad Bangkok/ Abu Dhabi leg. Etihad don't have 1st class on this leg and use what are now somewhat older planes, but I've always found the business class seats on these planes acceptable and I'm tall and of build to match. They don't quite go completely flat but very close. I did once have a problem with the seat on this leg and they upgraded me to 1st on the second leg to Paris. That was a wow! Even though at that time not their new A380 on the leg to/ from Paris which is superb in business. Dare I say it? almost too much space ????.

The Etihad A380 out of UK was superb so to be put on an ancient 777 with filthy broken toilets, shabby seats and grubby areas all around was a disaster. I emailed Etihad's CEO directly attaching pics of the toilets. The only response I got was a generic “we’ll try harder” from customer services. I will NOT be using Etihad again!

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

The Etihad A380 out of UK was superb so to be put on an ancient 777 with filthy broken toilets, shabby seats and grubby areas all around was a disaster. I emailed Etihad's CEO directly attaching pics of the toilets. The only response I got was a generic “we’ll try harder” from customer services. I will NOT be using Etihad again!

Etihad 'snapped' a Maclaren push-chair in half, I claimed for the damage, they refused, I consulted with IATA who contacted Etihad on my Behalf under the Montreal Convention - Eithad's response was again to refuse the claim. IATA advised that my only further course of action was to involve lawyers, which for a £300 push-chair is obviously not going to happen and Etihad know that.

At the time I was an Etihad Gold Card holder, I have not flown with Etihad again and have since become an Emirates Gold Card holder (both my Son and Wife are Silver) - I have spent all my Etihad Miles on 'toys'....  Emirates have received all my continued business (prices have been similar between Etihad and Emirates). 

Of course, Etihad don't care about any of this - but the lesson has been noted, Etihad will not comply with international conventions over these issues even when pressed. I am left wondering if any airline would under such circumstances. 

On 8/5/2019 at 3:05 PM, Fairynuff said:

Fair enough! Never had that in 7 years of flying in and out of Thailand mostly with Etihad ( enough to get a free ticket but just the once!) a few times with Thai ( excellent but usually expensive) once with Lufthansa ( no privacy, at that time, 2012,  ancient refurbed 747, hard narrow flatbed, no single seats, poor food) once with EgyptAir ( very cheap ticket soon learnt why: never again, poor business class seats all double or triple, no alcohol on board, poor food, slovenly service, and Cairo International airport is awful) . I've been warned by your post but frankly I think you must have been unlucky with a substitute aircraft, their usual one on the route perhaps grounded on that day. Only used Emirates once, their first A380, but in economy, what can I say ? Lesson learned, fly business if you can afford it, even though 3, even 4, times the price! But frankly whilst very enjoyable I'm not bothered by all the frills of business class. Why can't airlines do a super economy: economy check in, baggage allowance, food and service but with a flatbed? All I really want is to lie down and actually sleep!

28 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I've been warned by your post but frankly I think you must have been unlucky with a substitute aircraft

I’d love to think you’re right on this as m on the return leg next month...but I don’t think you are. It’s a fact that airlines don’t put their newest aircraft on the BKK route. One of the reasons I will only fly on Emirates 380s is because I found myself on one of their old 777s and hated it. I actually like all the frills of business because I rarely sleep much but still like a flat bed.

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

It’s a fact that airlines don’t put their newest aircraft on the BKK route.

Maybe some dont, but some do. Finnair often put their latest A350 straight onto the BKK route, and only move it off when they get a newer one.

Also one of the Qatar planes I took last year to BKK was only a few days old.

Archived