Health Check: Phuket Immigration confirms mandatory health insurance for O-A ‘retirement’ visas not in force

rooster59

Health Check: Phuket Immigration confirms mandatory health insurance for O-A ‘retirement’ visas not in force

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1564733000_1-org.jpg

An officer at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town holds up the application form for an extension to stay for those applying under a Non-immigrant O-A visa. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Foreigners applying for an extension stay under a Non-immigrant O-A visa, nicknamed the “retirement visa”, still do not yet have to provide proof of mandatory health insurance coverage as warned to be introduced “imminently” by senior officials in Bangkok months ago.

Phuket Immigration Police Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News this week that his office has yet to receive an order instructing his office to start enforcing the mandatory health insurance requirement, approved by the Cabinet on April 2.

The insurance policy must provide up to B40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to B400,000 for inpatient treatment during their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand, Dr Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Chief of the Ministry of Public Health’s Department of Health Service Support, announced in May.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/health-check-phuket-immigration-confirms-mandatory-health-insurance-for-o-a-retirement-visas-not-in-force-72365.php#FvJwyEUiisRKMPkR.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-03

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time its explained so poorly.. 

There isnt an O-A visa extension or renewal anyway.. There is a 12 month in country extension (of the permission of stay), on the basis of retirement, that can be given to anyone who satisfies the conditions for that retirement class. 

No one in authority so far has said it will be applied to retirement extensions. It 'may' be applied to O-A visa applications outside the country (but isnt yet) and it is applied for O-X visas applied for outside the country. 

Everything else is fear mongering at this point. 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Every time its explained so poorly.. 

There isnt an O-A visa extension or renewal anyway.. There is a 12 month in country extension (of the permission of stay), on the basis of retirement, that can be given to anyone who satisfies the conditions for that retirement class. 

No one in authority so far has said it will be applied to retirement extensions. It 'may' be applied to O-A visa applications outside the country (but isnt yet) and it is applied for O-X visas applied for outside the country. 

Everything else is fear mongering at this point. 

exactly, I don't understand the content of the OP and why Phuket IO are even commenting on it, O-A visa's are not issued in Thailand

If you read further into the article an interesting comment is made (see below) and it appears that the new 800000 baht or 65000 baht/per month ruling for O-A visa has seen an exodus of 2400 expats from Phuket (or a halving of applications) to elsewhere or have they have made other visa arrangements. Apply that ratio across the country and it would be a significant amount of people with their lives uprooted! ????

Col Kathathorn on Wednesday was unable to give a specific number of foreigners staying in Phuket on an O-A visa.

However, he did confirm that Phuket Immigration from January through December last year issued extensions to stay to 4,909 foreigners staying in Phuket on some form of Non-Immigrant O type visa.

From January to July this year, Phuket Immigration issued extensions to stay to 2,422 persons staying in Phuket on a form of Non-immigrant O type visa.”

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/health-check-phuket-immigration-confirms-mandatory-health-insurance-for-o-a-retirement-visas-not-in-force-72365.php#AMS0P6FIOb9s2fpM.99

6 minutes ago, Sjohno said:

If you read further into the article an interesting comment is made (see below) and it appears that the new 800000 baht or 65000 baht/per month ruling for O-A visa has seen an exodus of 2400 expats from Phuket (or a halving of applications) to elsewhere or have they have made other visa arrangements. Apply that ratio across the country and it would be a significant amount of people with their lives uprooted!

Or many IOs buying new cars and houses, and wealthier agents!

'owever, as of Wednesday (July 31), no Royal Thai Embassies or consulates abroad contacted and checked by The Phuket News made any mention of the mandatory health insurance requirement in their details of visa requirements for O-A visas."

Was never going to see the light of day with the rip off premiums

Move along now folks nothing more to see

27 minutes ago, Sjohno said:

If you read further into the article an interesting comment is made (see below) and it appears that the new 800000 baht or 65000 baht/per month ruling for O-A visa has seen an exodus of 2400 expats from Phuket (or a halving of applications) to elsewhere or have they have made other visa arrangements. Apply that ratio across the country and it would be a significant amount of people with their lives uprooted! ????

Col Kathathorn on Wednesday was unable to give a specific number of foreigners staying in Phuket on an O-A visa.

However, he did confirm that Phuket Immigration from January through December last year issued extensions to stay to 4,909 foreigners staying in Phuket on some form of Non-Immigrant O type visa.

From January to July this year, Phuket Immigration issued extensions to stay to 2,422 persons staying in Phuket on a form of Non-immigrant O type visa.”

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/health-check-phuket-immigration-confirms-mandatory-health-insurance-for-o-a-retirement-visas-not-in-force-72365.php#AMS0P6FIOb9s2fpM.99

the 2422 persons is for half year so assuming that ratio continues that puts it at 4844 or down less than 100

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

mandatory health insurance.. buckle up its coming ????

And it’s a great idea. In the past 12 months my insurances have paid out over 250K for my illnesses and a minor traffic accident. It would have been a big kick in the pants if I didn’t have them.

Such a big risk to tootle around uninsured here 

Well all foreigner exodus  and the retire one that will not buy fridge car home  schootforntheir wife or gf... making immigration harsh will NOT help anyone come back .. Thailand soften your stance or loose all...

The combination of confused policy, confused announcements, confused bureaucrats and confused journalists (if that's what they are) makes for confused falangs.

Clarity not a strength in this country.

true hey I know a number of people moving on 

They have sold house car bike everything and off to greener pastures 

That's the way its going in the estate I'm in 3 houses sold so far soon to be 4 

All have said rules getting so much harder and when attitudes like one person in our estate says if I want to make trouble for a foreigner I can because I'm Thai and they will listen to me before listening to a foreigner  

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The insurance policy must provide up to B40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to B400,000 for inpatient treatment

I just spoke to an AIA insurance agent here in Thailand.... their best policy still only gives you 10,000 baht coverage for out-patient cover... they do not have a policy that covers 40,000 !!!!

So no-one can purchase that in Thailand.... maybe immigration should talk to insurers first to see what policies they provide instead of pulling figures out of the air as to what foreigners should buy!

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

mandatory health insurance.. buckle up its coming ????

As I detect a certain type of smugness in your post, I presume you are one of those who can well afford it, or are not yet in the age range where you can not afford it!

6 hours ago, smedly said:

exactly, I don't understand the content of the OP and why Phuket IO are even commenting on it, O-A visa's are not issued in Thailand

I agree, but it seems they are clarifying in country renewal of O-A visas. But also not clarifying what they do need. I would presume the 800.000 route, but as ever not clear. 

3 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

And it’s a great idea. In the past 12 months my insurances have paid out over 250K for my illnesses and a minor traffic accident. It would have been a big kick in the pants if I didn’t have them.

Such a big risk to tootle around uninsured here 

Totally agree, while it's expensive for some, one has to ask oneself, are you prepared to pay big money out of your own pocket, or risk not being treated in a better environment if you had the choice. I also understand some cannot get insurance, fair enough. 

I have insurance for emergency and elective surgery only, as outpatient is cheap enough for me to pay.

The above said, 180 baht per day I do not consider expensive in my situation for a 1.2 mil US $ coverage and while I can afford it, I will maintain the coverage.

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I just spoke to an AIA insurance agent here in Thailand.... their best policy still only gives you 10,000 baht coverage for out-patient cover... they do not have a policy that covers 40,000 !!!!

So no-one can purchase that in Thailand.... maybe immigration should talk to insurers first to see what policies they provide instead of pulling figures out of the air as to what foreigners should buy!

Pacific Cross and others do have policies in line with the proposed regs. The issue is that, PC as an example, offers a max 1,500 per day or a max of 30 visits per year. So it is not a one off 40k insurance for out patient.

Here is the link to the 6 companies that offer Long Stay Health Insurance in line with the proposal.

https://longstay.tgia.org/

3 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

So it is not a one off 40k insurance for out patient.

Which is what I was saying AIA cap a one-off visit at maximum 10,000 baht for out-patient treatment.
The insurer said if you reached a value of 40,000 baht you would likely become an in-patient...

but then again maybe he's not seen some foreigner bills ?

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Which is what I was saying AIA cap a one-off visit at maximum 10,000 baht for out-patient treatment.
The insurer said if you reached a value of 40,000 baht you would likely become an in-patient...

but then again maybe he's not seen some foreigner bills ?

Agree 100%. But the 5 companies in the link state that the policies will be acceptable to immigration. All they seem to have done is moved some figures around and then charge a lot more for less coverage.

21 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I agree, but it seems they are clarifying in country renewal of O-A visas. But also not clarifying what they do need. I would presume the 800.000 route, but as ever not clear. 

O-A visa are not renewed, a stay can be extended. A thread like this shows the importance of that distinction.

17 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

I'm 64 and just received a quote for medical cover in Thailand and the quote was over $6,500.00 USD per Year. OMG. I do not have that amount of spare cash per year! The quote was not the cheapest and there were others in exceeding 10,000 USD. Mm...

Stick to Thai baht as this forum is about Thailand.  I'm in my mid 70's and I got 4 quotes for around 150,000 baht per year.  Think you are trying to scare people as you are nowhere a reasonable cost.  For future posting all of your posts will be fact checked.

There an insurance area on this forum better check it before buying or attempting to scare others. 

22 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Agree 100%. But the 5 companies in the link state that the policies will be acceptable to immigration. All they seem to have done is moved some figures around and then charge a lot more for less coverage.

Did you watch the video with the two insurance guys.  They haven't a clue about visas and what they are selling.  

Archived