Jump to content
BANGKOK
rooster59

Health Check: Phuket Immigration confirms mandatory health insurance for O-A ‘retirement’ visas not in force

Recommended Posts

Not well thought out. Perhaps more rational minds will be heard in the new government. We can only hope.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

mandatory health insurance.. buckle up its coming 😞

As I detect a certain type of smugness in your post, I presume you are one of those who can well afford it, or are not yet in the age range where you can not afford it!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smedly said:

exactly, I don't understand the content of the OP and why Phuket IO are even commenting on it, O-A visa's are not issued in Thailand

I agree, but it seems they are clarifying in country renewal of O-A visas. But also not clarifying what they do need. I would presume the 800.000 route, but as ever not clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

And it’s a great idea. In the past 12 months my insurances have paid out over 250K for my illnesses and a minor traffic accident. It would have been a big kick in the pants if I didn’t have them.

Such a big risk to tootle around uninsured here 

Totally agree, while it's expensive for some, one has to ask oneself, are you prepared to pay big money out of your own pocket, or risk not being treated in a better environment if you had the choice. I also understand some cannot get insurance, fair enough. 

 

I have insurance for emergency and elective surgery only, as outpatient is cheap enough for me to pay.

 

The above said, 180 baht per day I do not consider expensive in my situation for a 1.2 mil US $ coverage and while I can afford it, I will maintain the coverage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I just spoke to an AIA insurance agent here in Thailand.... their best policy still only gives you 10,000 baht coverage for out-patient cover... they do not have a policy that covers 40,000 !!!!

So no-one can purchase that in Thailand.... maybe immigration should talk to insurers first to see what policies they provide instead of pulling figures out of the air as to what foreigners should buy!

Pacific Cross and others do have policies in line with the proposed regs. The issue is that, PC as an example, offers a max 1,500 per day or a max of 30 visits per year. So it is not a one off 40k insurance for out patient.

 

Here is the link to the 6 companies that offer Long Stay Health Insurance in line with the proposal.

https://longstay.tgia.org/

Edited by ianezy0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

So it is not a one off 40k insurance for out patient.

Which is what I was saying AIA cap a one-off visit at maximum 10,000 baht for out-patient treatment.
The insurer said if you reached a value of 40,000 baht you would likely become an in-patient...

but then again maybe he's not seen some foreigner bills ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Which is what I was saying AIA cap a one-off visit at maximum 10,000 baht for out-patient treatment.
The insurer said if you reached a value of 40,000 baht you would likely become an in-patient...

but then again maybe he's not seen some foreigner bills ?

Agree 100%. But the 5 companies in the link state that the policies will be acceptable to immigration. All they seem to have done is moved some figures around and then charge a lot more for less coverage.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 64 and just received a quote for medical cover in Thailand and the quote was over $6,500.00 USD per Year. OMG. I do not have that amount of spare cash per year! The quote was not the cheapest and there were others in exceeding 10,000 USD. Mm...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I agree, but it seems they are clarifying in country renewal of O-A visas. But also not clarifying what they do need. I would presume the 800.000 route, but as ever not clear. 

O-A visa are not renewed, a stay can be extended. A thread like this shows the importance of that distinction.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

I'm 64 and just received a quote for medical cover in Thailand and the quote was over $6,500.00 USD per Year. OMG. I do not have that amount of spare cash per year! The quote was not the cheapest and there were others in exceeding 10,000 USD. Mm...

Stick to Thai baht as this forum is about Thailand.  I'm in my mid 70's and I got 4 quotes for around 150,000 baht per year.  Think you are trying to scare people as you are nowhere a reasonable cost.  For future posting all of your posts will be fact checked.

 

There an insurance area on this forum better check it before buying or attempting to scare others. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Agree 100%. But the 5 companies in the link state that the policies will be acceptable to immigration. All they seem to have done is moved some figures around and then charge a lot more for less coverage.

Did you watch the video with the two insurance guys.  They haven't a clue about visas and what they are selling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...