More bad foreigners arrested thanks to "Biometrics" at Thai airports

rooster59

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a good system, and it gets better the longer you use it and the more input it receives; better if it can pulse other data sets, otherwise it's a "local" system.  I left Swampy nearly 2 months ago, no biometrics logging outbound, so no sure what's up with that. 

All this is well and good.  Why can't Immi figure out a way to simply accept my entry/logging into the airport immigration system upon return to Thailand, with a quick verification on the spot:

"Sir, you still live at the same residence you've lived in for 10 years?  House # 123, soi 7 in City X?" 

"Yes". 

"Ok, thank you, welcome back to Sabailand.  Have a nice day."

////

Sorted! 

This 24 hour later, extra report nonsense is..... nonsense.

20 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Is the penalty for "theft during the hours of darkness" any different than for "theft during the hours of daylight"??

If there is no difference, then can someone please tell the Thai translator to drop the portion of the statement "during the hours of darkness."

I believe “theft by darkness “ has different sentencing options as opposed daylight robbery. 

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I believe “theft by darkness “ has different sentencing options as opposed daylight robbery. 

Apparently from what others having been stating, it seems the "theft during darkness" carries a heavier penalty.

The irony is that theft during the daytime will no doubt require the use of a firearm or other weapon to accomplish the act, whereas at night all one has to do is break into a place and tip-toe around.

Theft, regardless of what time committed, is still theft.

Makes me wonder if other offences have different penalties as to whether committed in the day or night.

Thailand has some weird rules; makes me wonder if the gov't is already smoking weed.

3 hours ago, mikebike said:

Yes it is different. Generally theft at night receives twice the sentence as daylight theft. The reasoning explained to me was daylight theft is considered a crime of opportunity (I see it - I want it - I took it) wereas night theft is considered premeditated.

Oh... I thought theft at night is more severe in punishment because the police would have to be aroused from their beds and put in more overtime whereas theft by day is all in a day’s work.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

It is a good system, and it gets better the longer you use it and the more input it receives; better if it can pulse other data sets, otherwise it's a "local" system.  I left Swampy nearly 2 months ago, no biometrics logging outbound, so no sure what's up with that. 

All this is well and good.  Why can't Immi figure out a way to simply accept my entry/logging into the airport immigration system upon return to Thailand, with a quick verification on the spot:

"Sir, you still live at the same residence you've lived in for 10 years?  House # 123, soi 7 in City X?" 

"Yes". 

"Ok, thank you, welcome back to Sabailand.  Have a nice day."

////

Sorted! 

This 24 hour later, extra report nonsense is..... nonsense.

TM30 report is just another hoop for you to jump through. We say ‘jump’ and you jump. Not making life any easier for foreigners. Other countries with better security do not even have this ruling . Thailand is years behind in technological advancement.

2 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

TM30 report is just another hoop for you to jump through. We say ‘jump’ and you jump. Not making life any easier for foreigners. Other countries with better security do not even have this ruling . Thailand is years behind in technological advancement.

I'm quite sure it made sense in 1976.  Natural fact is it was shelved and nobody enforced it because...... it was too unweildy, even then.

So now, in the age of computers, it's been resurrected as some kind of old school abracadabra to, maybe, catch out a few baddies when, in reality, it doesn't, and just makes life harder and more stupid for the vast majority of goodies, and the I/Os that have to suck it up and deal with them.   Really is a vacuum of nonsense between reality and common sense. 

I sense the petetion going among the expat community to address it, will simply make the old boy Thais tighten their tie a bit harder and refuse to budge.  Our country.  Our laws.  Do it or shut up and leave.   They're not wrong, but they aren't right either.  Mexican Standoff.

1 hour ago, Mick501 said:

That says more about the US.  Killings need to be minimum double figures to be newsworthy these days.

I'm lost. What are you on about?

The crimes had nothing to do with murder, killing or manslaughter...or death for that matter.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, Gumballl said:

Don't know about that. Last night, along with my wife and three other family members, we ate lots of food, had lots to drink, heard live music, and all for about 2400 baht. Talk about a steal!

On 8/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, BestB said:

Agree they robbed you lot and you do not even know it ????

Riddle of the day ... 5 people go out in a group together for food, drinking and dancing. 4 are Thais and 1 is Farang. 

Who pays the bill?

On 8/3/2019 at 6:11 PM, Number 6 said:

Petty crime. Would not even make the local news in a town of 100k in US.

Nor would it generate 5 pages of comments about such a  non event...A very slow Sunday in Thailand.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:52 AM, Gumballl said:

Is the penalty for "theft during the hours of darkness" any different than for "theft during the hours of daylight"??

If there is no difference, then can someone please tell the Thai translator to drop the portion of the statement "during the hours of darkness."

There is a difference. Theft during the hours of darkness is a more serious offence.  

1 hour ago, DoktorC said:

Nor would it generate 5 pages of comments about such a  non event...A very slow Sunday in Thailand.

All these non events are proudly published on the Thai Immigration website under the News section. For people that cannot read Thai like myself, Google Chrome helpfully translates in English. There are more than what we see here on ThaiVisa. They also seem to keep the graphic designer on call, for all these events /non events they will make a nice colorful poster and hold a press conference.

Just now, balo said:

Yes, if it keeps the bad guys out. 

You're going to give up most of your liberties soon, for the sake of the "bad guys".

If you haven't already. Or if you had any. It's only a matter of perception.

26 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes, if it keeps the bad guys out. 

How ?  Why is this better than checking passports ?

I know that there are people with more than 1 nationality. Who could use 2 different passports and violate visum rules that way. But how many people have dual nationality with 2 passports? That's just a few. And registering name, date of birth and place of birth should be sufficient to prevent this.

The 3 foreigners who were arrested would also be found without this system.

I think they want to justify this system and therefore invent irrelevant arrests.

16 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Apparently from what others having been stating, it seems the "theft during darkness" carries a heavier penalty.

The irony is that theft during the daytime will no doubt require the use of a firearm or other weapon to accomplish the act, whereas at night all one has to do is break into a place and tip-toe around.

Theft, regardless of what time committed, is still theft.

Makes me wonder if other offences have different penalties as to whether committed in the day or night.

Thailand has some weird rules; makes me wonder if the gov't is already smoking weed.

Theft during the daytime does not require a gun or weapon ...if it does, that is called robbery and is a much more serious offense!!

Theft during the daytime could be walking past a motorbike and stealing the shopping bag out of the basket, shoplifting in a store, maybe breaking into a building and stealing the contents, but then get burglary charges as well.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:58 PM, Gumballl said:

The news article is sensationalizing recent busts at the airport. It is meant to promote Thailand's ability to combat crime. Does it really matter if it was a biometric issue that led to the arrests, or whether a soi dog with its uncanny sense of smell rooted out the evil-doers, or just good old fashioned police work?

If I were a two-bit criminal, I would not be trespassing into Thailand. That's the message I got.

And the only people that this type of propaganda fools are the Thais themselves. So where is the benefit? 

8 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Why is this better than checking passports ?

Possibly because it's easier forging a passport than it is biometrics :coffee1:

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I wonder how the biometrics was done on my passport from Trendy house, never asked to give fingerprints or the like

Your passport pic is one form of biometrics, digitised, on the chip and matched with facial recognition. Haven't read about any passport with fingerprints on the chip ... yet!

37 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Possibly because it's easier forging a passport than it is biometrics :coffee1:

Also with biometrics you have to check passports.  Biometrics can only be useful in the very rare event that someone tries to enter the country a second time with a false passport. How often will someone try that ?  I think this is more an imaginary problem than something that often occurs. 

20 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Also with biometrics you have to check passports.  Biometrics can only be useful in the very rare event that someone tries to enter the country a second time with a false passport. How often will someone try that ?  I think this is more an imaginary problem than something that often occurs. 

If the passport data and yourself does not match the passport used on your previous visits then you are smoked anyway.

Archived