'Many killed' in shooting at Walmart in El Paso; suspect in custody

rooster59

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

You think he's just as sane as you?

I think to determine if he is sane or not, take a look at what we know about him.   He wrote a rather lengthy manifesto about his beliefs.   Agree or disagree with what he said, but he states his case rationally and logically.   It's flawed, but rational.   There is no allusion as to how or why he reached the conclusions he did.   He then drove 10+ hours to a pre-selected town.   He made a conscious decision, which he explained to police, as to why and explained why he wouldn't do it in his hometown.   

He examines the best weapons to use and the bullets most likely to kill.   

So, here's the question that would go to establishing he was sane.   Did he know right from wrong?   Clearly he did.

His actions are of a person who is sane and who has been swayed by the constant, negative rhetoric of hate.   He's been subjected to the same brainwashing that is done in order to get soldiers to shoot a perceived enemy.   

There are no indications he has personally suffered because of Mexicans.   There is no indication he has been robbed, raped or beaten by Mexicans.   He is one who is as sane as any soldier shooting at any other enemy.   He's a soldier in Trump's army of haters.   

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

You posted:

" Generally, the same people pushing for restrictions on "assault rifles" would confiscate all guns if it were within their power. "

and:

" I do not assume the majority of people who support a ban on assault rifles want to confiscate all guns, I am not sure what it is I have to do to make that clear. "

You claim people pushing for restrictions on assault rifles would confiscate all guns but you do not assume the majority who support an assault rifle ban want to confiscate all guns.  Do you not see a conflict between these two statements?

The article I referenced is published by the Gallup organization and describes the outcome of a Gallup poll.  https://news.gallup.com/poll/159569/americans-stricter-gun-laws-oppose-bans.aspx  I don't know why you are hung up on USA Today.  What makes you think the poll lacks credibility?

usviphotography's post has been deleted along with your reply, but your reply indicated that you thought his post was a view from the left.

I made the correction in my post 620 where I was responding your post 619 where you were using anecdotal information to support you position in respect to confiscation.

I admitted the using “generally” was overstating, but that I felt it was a significant percentage.

I’m not hung up on USA Today, I was pointing out that they funded the study. I accept the results of the study. I don’t think it lacks credibility such as it is, but it is ten years old, it has a large margin of error, it uses a small sample size and it does not directly address how many people support confiscation, which is what we were discussing.

Do you not find it curious that they did not ask people if they support confiscation?

Would you not think it a logical question to ask?

2 hours ago, Credo said:

He's a soldier in Trump's army of haters.   

Yes, Trump's army of 60 million haters. People hiding in the shadows fearing for their lives, murder at the hand of the evil white-man.

Where do the people come from that believe this stuff?

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Yes, Trump's army of 60 million haters. People hiding in the shadows fearing for their lives, murder at the hand of the evil white-man.

Where do the people come from that believe this stuff?

Nowhere did he imply what you're stating here.

On a continuous basis you are distorting posts from other posters, jumping to conclusions that are not said or meant and placing quotes out of context.

Nowhere did he imply what you're stating here.
On a continuous basis you are distorting posts from other posters, jumping to conclusions that are not said or meant and placing quotes out of context.

How was it out of context, and how is it what I said distorting his post?

The is claiming a mass murderer is part of Trump’s army of haters.

Are we not being told that all Trump supporters are white supremacists?

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Responding to the accusation that you jump to conclusions on basis what other posters have not said with a hyperbole rhetorical question such as the one you’ve just posted is not helping your case.

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It's the other way round, white supremacists are Trump supporters. Thanks for providing the proof of my earlier statement.

The rest of your post has been handles very well by CH in the previous post.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It's the other way round, white supremacists are Trump supporters. Thanks for providing the proof of my earlier statement.

The rest of your post has been handles very well by CH in the previous post.

So it's fair to say you're not able to show how it was out of context or how I was distorting his post.

Quite a number of people have come out and claimed that anyone still supporting Trump is a racist, is that not true?

Does is not follow that if someone is white, and a racist, they are a white supremist? 

Trump's army of haters... not hyperbole

Anyone still supporting Trump is a racist... not hyperbole

Are we not told all Trump supporters are white supremacists? Hyperbole

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The ignore list can be very useful.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I’m not a fan of using ignore, I frequently find myself in agreement with and/or getting a valuable insight from members who in many other respects I strongly disagree with.

It also removes the ability to challenge those views.

I haven’t placed any members on ‘ignore’ and have no intention of ever doing so.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not a fan of using ignore, I frequently find myself in agreement with and/or getting a valuable insight from members who in many other respects I strongly disagree with.

It also removes the ability to challenge those views.

I haven’t placed any members on ‘ignore’ and have no intention of ever doing so.

You can still read posts of people you put on ignore. I find in some cases, engaging with certain members invites an endless black hole loop of disingenuousness. I get your POV, but really life is to short to waste on such black holes. 

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So it's fair to say you're not able to show how it was out of context or how I was distorting his post.

Quite a number of people have come out and claimed that anyone still supporting Trump is a racist, is that not true?

Does is not follow that if someone is white, and a racist, they are a white supremist? 

On the subject of what kind and how many people want to confiscate all guns, I provided a link to a Gallup poll.

On the subject of how many people think Trump and his supporters are racists, you supply opinion and conjecture.

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I've never put anyone on ignore either, but a lot of people need to be protected from differing views. 

We may have found common ground.  I am as disturbed by people who rely on  Rachel Maddow for their news as the people who rely on Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. 

I look for news sources that report facts.  However I am appalled by people who reject facts as "Fake News" just because they don't like the facts.

I will anticipate some of the responses.  Not too long ago Trump was denying that he called Meghan Markle "nasty" while recordings of him calling her nasty were still being presented on mainstream news outlets. Those who accept Trump's claims over obvious recorded facts are the true followers of fake news.

32 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Since it is obvious Trump only speaks to his core base to be re-elected, it is logical for Trump to use racism as an emotional magnet.

Since Trump followers stand for Trump whatever he says, Trump supporters don't mind if Trump fuels division, xenophobia, racism.

Since Trump followers don't see Trump as a racist using racist rethoric, they share the same préjudices, and don't mind to share them with other Trump supporters who claim to be  white supremacists ( Steve Bannon: 'Let them call you racist ... Wear it as a badge of honor …)

If you're not a racist but a Trump supporter, what do you do fight racism ?

If you're against racism, how can you side someone who is supported by racists?

But maybe it's just not an issue for you..       

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

"So it's fair to say you're not able to show how it was out of context or how I was distorting his post."

No, that would be incorrect. I choose not to because I am fed up with your distortions, conclusions that are not said or meant and out of context quotes. Also called trolling.

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

On the subject of what kind and how many people want to confiscate all guns, I provided a link to a Gallup poll.

On the subject of how many people think Trump and his supporters are racists, you supply opinion and conjecture.

You provided a link to a Gallop poll that did not include how many people to confiscate all guns, or any guns for that matter. It did include a question regarding how many people support banning possession of handguns, which could be interpreted any number of ways. 

I said quite a number of people have claimed anyone still supporting Trump is a racist. Is it your position this is not true? I think "Beto" was one of them here recently but I'm not sure, nor am I going looking for it. I do miss the days when t was easy to find transcripts of speeches.

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"So it's fair to say you're not able to show how it was out of context or how I was distorting his post."

No, that would be incorrect. I choose not to because I am fed up with your distortions, conclusions that are not said or meant and out of context quotes. Also called trolling.

Yes, the old "I could, but I'm not going to because you are trolling" response.

This is almost as popular as the "I could provide hundreds of examples, but they're are just too many to list." response, most often used when asked to provide an example. 

39 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I think you can read it if it is quoted. If its a stand alone post then cannot see it.

That and you can also manually show posts individually. The point of doing that is a reminder to not bother responding. I think it's a great tool in cases where members are here just to play endless annoying games. 

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So what's the next move?

Going after posts on TV that promote mainstream but rampant racism  - then trying to explain to you every little thing that conforts racism… get it now?

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

You provided a link to a Gallop poll that did not include how many people to confiscate all guns, or any guns for that matter. It did include a question regarding how many people support banning possession of handguns, which could be interpreted any number of ways. 

I said quite a number of people have claimed anyone still supporting Trump is a racist. Is it your position this is not true? I think "Beto" was one of them here recently but I'm not sure, nor am I going looking for it. I do miss the days when t was easy to find transcripts of speeches.

I provided a link to a Gallup poll that showed how many people wanted to ban assault rifles and how many wanted to ban handguns.  It disproved your statement that the majority of people who want to confiscate assault rifles also want to confiscate all guns, unless you want to quibble over the difference between "ban" and "confiscate".

I don't know if it is true that "quite a number of people have claimed anyone still supporting Trump is a racist."  It is your statement, why don't you back it up with facts?  It seems to me like the kind of thing one would here from a fake news conservative pundit.

9 hours ago, mogandave said:

So calling other people names is doing something about it?

That works out really well. You can demonize your political opponents while pretending you are doing something about it. Sweet!  

I've noticed this is a popular tactic.

It is certainly a popular tactic with Trump.

Archived