BANGKOK
tomster

Which area of Isaan has the most expats?

Not sure about other countries but for the USA I would say Udon Thani as we have VFW Posts in Korat and Udon and Udon has about twice as many members as Korat. We tried opening a Post in Ubon but not enough vets to start a Post.

• Thanks 1

hey, thanks for the  map, now when some girl says she come from such and such a place i can equate. i only knew Sisaket, Surin oh and Buriram

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, geoffbezoz said:

I actually know of no foreigner in my area of Issan

That's good... my drunk cousin would prefer to live outside...  you and he will get along great. You can drink together. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 10:32 AM, Denim said:

Probably Khon Kaen followed by Udon Thani and Ubon . Thats just my personal guess.

I live in rural Khon Kaen Province and there are many ex-pats, but from my personal experience Udon Thani appears to have the most however Nakhon Ratchisima (Korat) is a close second. The latter are big Isaan cities.

Total population figures for 2017 (ref: population.city/thailand)

Udon Thani 135,600

Korat 135,400

Khon Kaen 110,100

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

On 8/4/2019 at 2:11 PM, allane said:

I'll give you a hint: it's not this one. (If I ever want someone to market something to me, I will contact him.)

Yes, what kind of marketing (spamming?), please?

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Udon Thani 135,600

That is the population of the "city" Udon Thani province has ~1.5 million people, so quite spread out.

KK province has ~1.79 million & Korat ~2.6 million, obviously a lot more living out in the sticks than in the cities 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On August 7, 2019 at 10:28 AM, Rdrokit said:

Not sure about other countries but for the USA I would say Udon Thani as we have VFW Posts in Korat and Udon and Udon has about twice as many members as Korat. We tried opening a Post in Ubon but not enough vets to start a Post.

I don't run into many farang in Korat from the US of A, mostly Brits and Aussies, and a few smaller countries. That could be why your VFW Posts don't have that many yanks from down here.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:07 PM, Burma Bill said:

I live in rural Khon Kaen Province and there are many ex-pats, but from my personal experience Udon Thani appears to have the most however Nakhon Ratchisima (Korat) is a close second. The latter are big Isaan cities.

Total population figures for 2017 (ref: population.city/thailand)

Udon Thani 135,600

Korat 135,400

Khon Kaen 110,100

Korat, or Nakhon Ratchasima is the biggest region in Thailand and gate to Isaan. Understandable that there are many foreigners.

With all the villages that belong to Korat, it could easily top Khon Kaen. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CGW said:

That is the population of the "city" Udon Thani province has ~1.5 million people, so quite spread out.

KK province has ~1.79 million & Korat ~2.6 million, obviously a lot more living out in the sticks than in the cities 🙂 

Living in Udon Thani seems to be much healthier than living in Khon Kaen. I used to love Rayong, but that's now so polluted that it's very dangerous to live there. 

Expats in Khon Kaen will not be pleased to hear that pollution is getting worse. Between January to June of 2017, the two most critical cities with the highest half-year average concentrations of PM2.5 were Khon Kaen (44 µg/m3) and Saraburi (40 µg/m3) – over four times higher than WHO air quality limits.

Here's an interesting read:

https://www.thethailandlife.com/air-pollution-thailand