Weight loss surgery ,whose done it?

georgegeorgia

I've not had the surgery but know 4 people who have. All outside thailand.

My daughter initially had the lap band. Her surgeon said 80% of his patients dont get the result they want and have it removed.

She and 3 others I know have had parts of their stomach removed. The results are amazing. But may require further surgery to remove excess skin.

She lost close to 50kg in under a year and has easily maintained the weight loss. Her bad asthma has nearly ceased since the weight loss too.

Initially she felt full after eating an egg. Over time her stomach expanded and she eats small meals now.

At one stage early on she had to remind herself to eat. Her surgeon told her part of her stomach that initiates hunger feelings was removed.

33 minutes ago, Farma said:

I've not had the surgery but know 4 people who have. All outside thailand.

My daughter initially had the lap band. Her surgeon said 80% of his patients dont get the result they want and have it removed.

She and 3 others I know have had parts of their stomach removed. The results are amazing. But may require further surgery to remove excess skin.

She lost close to 50kg in under a year and has easily maintained the weight loss. Her bad asthma has nearly ceased since the weight loss too.

Initially she felt full after eating an egg. Over time her stomach expanded and she eats small meals now.

At one stage early on she had to remind herself to eat. Her surgeon told her part of her stomach that initiates hunger feelings was removed.

Wow!  tempting... but we do need some reports from folk who have had it done in Thailand.

On 8/4/2019 at 5:18 PM, scubascuba3 said:

A friend had it done in Thailand, Op went well, went from 150kg to 115kg still coming down. He eats small meals, but he said the problem is you can get in the habit of eating small amounts constantly

I always wonder if your like 150 kg.. it should be easy to lose weight with some changes to diet. I am not saying that this operation does not have its place (i taken risks too and bad stuff to enhance fat loss) but at such high weights its easy to lose at least a bit with lifestyle changes.

Still its true that this definitely has its place, but with risks just like everything else. 

I always wonder if your like 150 kg.. it should be easy to lose weight with some changes to diet. I am not saying that this operation does not have its place (i taken risks too and bad stuff to enhance fat loss) but at such high weights its easy to lose at least a bit with lifestyle changes.

Still its true that this definitely has its place, but with risks just like everything else. 
If it was easy they wouldn't have the op

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
48 minutes ago, robblok said:

If it was easy they wouldn't have the op

I never said it was super easy but almost everyone can lose weight if they change their lifestyle. Especially if so much overweight. Lifestyle changes are never easy.

I had gastric bypass done way back in 2001, not in Thailand.  I was in my 30's.  I went from 150 Kg down to 95 kg over the course of 18 months.  I had other surgeries in Thailand to remove excess skin and fat that wouldn't go away with dieting (you will have lots of this if your morbidly obese more on this later).  

Right after the surgery my biggest problem was drinking enough water.  You become obsessed with eating crushed ice to stay hydrated.  You're stomach is literally the size of a small egg so you'll get full instantly but that won't be a problem because you'll never be hungry for awhile.  Long term effect you won't ever throw up again either - not really or rather its different and much less than you're used too.  

I've read a lot about what happens to your body chemistry when this is done but most of what I am going to say is my opinion and not proven.  For me it was true your mileage may vary.  When they do this they remove the part of your digestion system that produces ghrelin - this has been called the 'hunger hormone' and without this I not only felt very full but I also felt energized like I needed to go walk or do exercise.  Sleeping 2-3 hours was difficult because my body simply wanted to burn energy and there were several days when I simply pulled an all nighter without any ill effects.  You drop weight fast but it will take 18 months before you are 'back to normal' and feeling hungry again.  Your body rebuilds a portion of the ghrelin hormone producing tissue that was removed although you'll never feel as hungry again even after not eating for awhile.  Starvation would be easier for me now if that's the way I finally go out. 

Negatives - there are bunch even though yes I would absolutely do it again.  In the first year when you start eating you will make a 'mistake' and this will be BAD.  What I mean is you will swallow something quickly (like you used too) and this drops into your little stomach and gets stuck.  This brings on a feeling of wanting to vomit ... but you can't.  And this is agonizing.  Saliva will pour from your mouth like you're a rabid dog and you will pray for the sweet release of being able to throw up... buy you can't.  And this will go on for 20 minutes, 30 minutes... longer depending on how bad of a mistake you made.  Basically the saliva needs to wash down your throat and slowly dissolve whatever it is you swallowed and eventually it will slip down into your lower g.i.   Bread I found was the worst and so for a long time I stopped eating it.  This problem doesn't last forever but you are looking at 12 - 18 months of it so be warned.  Can you smartly not make mistakes and doge this bullet?  Sure.  Of course what will trigger it is just doing what you normally used to do and it is very easy to accidentally forget to chew everything up into a fine liquid (which is the only way to prevent this).  

If you want other info please PM me as I could go on for pages and I don't want to clog the board.  

fast for 7 days

and you don't need that expensive, dangerous surgery

if you do the surgery, you will not be able to eat for a few days anyway

and the biggest thing you can swallow will be the seize of an egg

and you will get vitamin absorption problems

all not worth it

On 8/4/2019 at 5:18 PM, scubascuba3 said:

A friend had it done in Thailand, Op went well, went from 150kg to 115kg still coming down. He eats small meals, but he said the problem is you can get in the habit of eating small amounts constantly

and that is the problem

the continuous influx of food = INSULIN spike = you can not lose weight

skip breakfast, try to skip lunch and go to one meal a day

than regular fasting for a few days

totally FREE

and you can still eat whatever, whenever you want

cut out carbs sugar and beer (switch to light or spirits) and that alone will get a quick 20 k. drop , its the next 20k that requires serious commitment but how hard can it be eating steak and vegetables twice a day?

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

cut out carbs sugar and beer (switch to light or spirits) and that alone will get a quick 20 k. drop , its the next 20k that requires serious commitment but how hard can it be eating steak and vegetables twice a day?

Yes this is very good advice and works for me, over a year now. Low Carb High Fat, no sugar, change beer to gin and slimline tonic or soda. Intermittent fasting (eat within a 6 hour window, water at other times) 2 or 3 days a week, and mild (walking) exercise every day. Am down 20 Kg from 95 Kg with 5 to go and you are also correct, shifting the last 5 is slow. 

Has to be worth a try before the obvious risk of radical surgery.

I had a gastric sleeve op. I was 164kg and I lost 60kg over 6 months, and have kept the weight off now for more than 4 years. Yes ypu do have to be very careful what you eat for the first few months.

24 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yes this is very good advice and works for me, over a year now. Low Carb High Fat, no sugar, change beer to gin and slimline tonic or soda. Intermittent fasting (eat within a 6 hour window, water at other times) 2 or 3 days a week, and mild (walking) exercise every day. Am down 20 Kg from 95 Kg with 5 to go and you are also correct, shifting the last 5 is slow. 

Has to be worth a try before the obvious risk of radical surgery.

I agree, I have been trying a low carb diet (keto) and dropped from 104kg to 97kg in 3 weeks, never feel hungry, and it's easy, lots of meat and eggs. I have plenty of energy, and even walked for 20km yesterday. I would try this, rather than surgery 

What's wrong with the good old clean diet, and a little exercise, I went from 90kg to 75kg in 8 months, no stress, just control and a little effort, and the occasional reward for my efforts. No surgery, no infections and feel that I did something that I always wanted to, I am 59 years of age, and still drink 3 times a week at the social bar ????

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Not the case when u get older and metabolism changes and physical ability to exercise.

I took off over 30Kg 2 different times.

But now with bad discs and motorcycle accident in 2018 can only exercise in pool.

seriously considering Sleeve

Cost here is 500,000

6 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Not the case when u get older and metabolism changes and physical ability to exercise.

I took off over 30Kg 2 different times.

But now with bad discs and motorcycle accident in 2018 can only exercise in pool.

seriously considering Sleeve

Cost here is 500,000

Its more about eating better then exercise.. exercise is just a small component. But I get what you mean. But as I said it has its place for some people. Just think it sometimes get used by people who could try other things. But i wont judge.. i like short cuts myself and have done stuff that are short cuts so I wont judge. Though surgery is a step up from what I have done. 

12 hours ago, justin case said:

fast for 7 days

and you don't need that expensive, dangerous surgery

if you do the surgery, you will not be able to eat for a few days anyway

and the biggest thing you can swallow will be the seize of an egg

and you will get vitamin absorption problems

all not worth it

Agree. Fasting has all sorts of very major health benefits and losing weight is just one of them. No need to pay for the surgery, no need to go through the pain of it all. Fasting is natural, free AND IT WORKS!

IMHO I would not do it.  Had a supervisor in Boston,MA USA do it and died shortly after. My cousin (girl) did it and had a lot of problems after.  Has to take vitamins as she does not get enough from limited amount of foods she eats. It has been proven that even young men of today have about a third of Testosterone in their bodies as their gran fathers did at same age do to plastics and other chemicals in our inviorment. Low Testosterone and HGH make it much harder for a male to lose weight or build muscle and have low energy ,erectile problems.

I would look into keto diet and either using suppliments to increase HGH or Testosterone  naturally or actually take Testosterne or HGH  tretments here in Thailand. They have a clinic in Pattaya and many pharmacies sell Test and HGH injections . That and healthy diet, workout insted of trying quick fix operation that has lifelong effects.

@georgegeorgia

Your talking about surgery but in your other topics (going to Pattaya fish and chips toasties ect) your talking so much about food (not the good kind) what you like. Maybe its better to slowly adjust what your eating before considering surgery ? No criticism just feels wrong to me that one would hop to surgery without first trying to change bad habits.

Sounds to me you just like your food too much. Just a choice you need to make eating nice foods and staying overweight or changing and losing weight. It wont happen overnight or will be easy but it can be done. But not if you dont make any permanent changes. 

I would rate surgery as a really last resort after having really tried other stuff. My opinion of course your body your life your money. 

my brother had the bypass, he also had to have his skin adapted and morbid fat taken away.
then he needed an operation a few years later something with his intestines.
he also has dumping syndrome.
his way of getting his calories consists of drinking lots of alcohol; at family gatherings he 
goes to the bathroom to throw up every hour or so.
he's become a nasty drunk in the process.

he used to be twice my weight now weighs less than me.

WLS has its place, but diet modification should be tried first (IMHO).

Risks exist from all surgery and anaesthetic especially as we age

Consult a dietician/nutritionist first for support

May need ongoing surgery for saggy skin to be removed, further risk of complications

Gentle resistance training (light weights) and perhaps an exercise bike or treadmill will assist before surgery.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

WLS has its place, but diet modification should be tried first (IMHO).

Risks exist from all surgery and anaesthetic especially as we age

Consult a dietician/nutritionist first for support

May need ongoing surgery for saggy skin to be removed, further risk of complications

Gentle resistance training (light weights) and perhaps an exercise bike or treadmill will assist before surgery.

Its more about a change in diet (and I dont mean a temporary thing but real changes to what people eat on a day to day base for a lifetime). Exercise helps but it burns far less calories then one might think. I am a person who exercises a lot cardio and strength training so i know its value but diet still rules. 

You have to change things permanently otherwise it will always fail, people who go on a short term diet to lose weight gain it back because after they lost the weight they go back to their old food habits and gain it all back. 

I have over time slowly adjusted what I eat last change was totally cutting out sugary drinks (including fruit juices) That was harder for me then changing what I ate. I made small changes did not go crazy at once. Some people can change it all at once for others its best to make small changes and ramp it up slowly. 

Exercise wise I am the same start slow ramp it up till becomes a habit. 

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its more about a change in diet (and I dont mean a temporary thing but real changes to what people eat on a day to day base for a lifetime). Exercise helps but it burns far less calories then one might think. I am a person who exercises a lot cardio and strength training so i know its value but diet still rules. 

You have to change things permanently otherwise it will always fail, people who go on a short term diet to lose weight gain it back because after they lost the weight they go back to their old food habits and gain it all back. 

I have over time slowly adjusted what I eat last change was totally cutting out sugary drinks (including fruit juices) That was harder for me then changing what I ate. I made small changes did not go crazy at once. Some people can change it all at once for others its best to make small changes and ramp it up slowly. 

Exercise wise I am the same start slow ramp it up till becomes a habit. 

Diet modification is about long term changes, as opposed to being on a diet, modify what you eat, when you eat it.

Consult a dietician/nutritionist for support and motivation

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Diet modification is about long term changes, as opposed to being on a diet, modify what you eat, when you eat it.

Consult a dietician/nutritionist for support and motivation

No real need for that, i did all myself plenty of information on the internet. I lost 25 kg in 2011. In between i gained a bit and lost it again. Mainly stayed lean but last year had sleeping problems (still have them) and that affected my training.. then my diet (how i ate) got worse and i gained 7 kg.. lost it again with cleaning it up and exercise. Really the internet is  full of useful information. 

I usually read bodybuilding forums as I am a "small" bodybuilder. Plenty of good info there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived