are postal services in HH reliable?

Hans007

My question is about the reliability of postal services in Hua Hin....

Do any of you have  bad experiences with ordering from ebay/amazon or any other online selling point?

How long before letters arrive from Europe (Germany or The Netherlands)..?

I am new to Hua Hin...as my GF speaks no Thai and very basic English i ask this.

Thank you.

Hans.

Largely depends on the service being used.

If it is something you intend to do regularly get your a PO box, 500 baht a yr.

Most Post office delivery issues tend to be because of the last link, the postman, a box will illuminate that.

Online in Thailand like Lazada, usually delivered by courier like Kerry or DHL etc. No issues.(generally)

I also find post here very hit and miss, apart from my new credit card being delivered via EMS, I've had no mail for about six weeks.

Whilst I go paperless where I can, I need some hard copies of bank statements, from Thailand and the UK, and they won't send them to a PO Box, and neither will my credit card provider. Bangkok Bank in London sent me a letter on 9 July, no sign of arrival yet.
I'm at a loss to understand where the mail goes to, it must be correctly addressed as I get some statements, but not all, it's so frustrating.    

I have been in Hua Hin for 6 years.

For the first 2-3 years numerous bills, letters and parcels (from overseas and from Thailand) never arrived at my home postal address.

After that I rented a post box at a local post office.  Now probably 95% of the items I expect do arrive, but some letters and parcels still go missing.

I suggest you follow CharlieH's suggestion - rent a post box.

I have lived in KK for 4 years, in that time i have had 5 letters and 2 small packages sent from the UK.

Of the 5 letters only 3 arrived and inly one if the packages.

My daughter regularly sends packages from BKK to KK and within 2 days they arrive, so where is the problem ?

21 minutes ago, Almer said:

My daughter regularly sends packages from BKK to KK and within 2 days they arrive, so where is the problem ?

Clearly no problem with BKK to KK, but the OP is asking about Europe to Hua Hin, and is asking in the Hua Hin Forum. 

As for us ( 45 km south of HH) package with tracking arrives within a week send from Belgium. Other way around about 10 working days. Posted letters can be till 1 month. In 5 years only one did not arrive!

I agree that a PO Box is essential. I hope you have some close to your house. I pick up my mail from the Post Office about once a week. I don't recall the last mail that I knew to be sent that I didn't receive, so it's fairly reliable. 

But please note that courier services (Kerry Express, DHL, FEDEX, etc.) will not deliver to a PO Box, they require your signature of course. However I have managed to get them to leave parcels with the guard at the entrance to my resort if I'm out and the parcels are expected, and not of large value. 

10 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Clearly no problem with BKK to KK, but the OP is asking about Europe to Hua Hin, and is asking in the Hua Hin Forum. 

I was trying to show there is an issue with mail and parcels coming into the Kingdom, as many others also have posted, it gives a picture.

10 hours ago, Almer said:

I was trying to show there is an issue with mail and parcels coming into the Kingdom, as many others also have posted, it gives a picture.

OK a fair point, but as I said my mail is hit and miss from Europe or Bangkok.

I want to thank all posters for their answers. I indeed think its best to rent a postbox IF I decided (not sure yet because Thailand realy is getting a PITA regarding visa) to stay longterm in HH, afterall my GF is NOT thai...

Coming from a country with VERY secure Postal services (Both Germany and The Netherlands) this will be a drastic change...but that is life. I( think this is included when you want to live in Thailand.

Maybe I will talk at post office and give a small "present" to chief and let my cellphone number behind...just in case postal packages arrive?

Take care all.

Hans.

Archived