Forum is plagued with spammers - 2 suggestions

simon43

Ask the company who supplies your forum software to do the following:

1 - Add a configuration option to block all posts that include a URL in the topic line (ie block the many spam posts for keto diets etc that have an URL in the topic heading)

2 - Add a configuration option to block all posts that include non ascii character set in the topic line (ie block these Chinese language spam posts for universities etc)

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst somewhat annoying they are only usually present for a few minutes often less.

Yes, but you are relying on human intervention and manual deletion of this spam. It would be so much easier to remove it immediately and automatically.

I understand that it's probably not a software mod that TV can do - I don't understand why Invision hasn't included this in their configuration - other forums using their software must also experience the same problem.

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yes, but you are relying on human intervention and manual deletion of this spam. It would be so much easier to remove it immediately and automatically.

I understand that it's probably not a software mod that TV can do - I don't understand why Invision hasn't included this in their configuration - other forums using their software must also experience the same problem.

You are probably right, but there is and will undoubtedly be a cost involved going through Invision etc for some kind of "patch" or manually configuring it etc. I would think many sites/forums are plagued with these because of the huge upturn in affiliate marketing/earning.

Manual intervention is free ! Mods cost nothing ! 

In my opinion it's sporadic, not that bad and managed quite well at the present levels by the team.

Archived